Does this forum seem slow to you guys?

The Dude

Hi all,

This forum has been getting on my nerves lately because of some slow page load times. I went to the support site and apparently they serviced the server yesterday, but it seems as slow or even slower than ever.

I just wanted to hear from you guys on this. How slow / frustrating is it for you guys?

Yessir,it's been very slow for about two days for me. I thought it was my server but all other sites load as usual.

I just got a DSl connection and it is like I'm on dialup! No it isn't that bad, but it does seem to fail to get the page more often.

I bet Paddles fed the squirrel again! Cheap bugger waits until it keels over then breaks out the cat food! Sheesh!

Hmmm? Time outs, eh? That sucks beyond words.

I have an alternative if you guys are interested, but it'd mean pulling up stakes from here and going to a new board that I would install myself on my own servers.

What do y'all think of that option?

I like speed and stability in computers, internet and web boards, after all, the internet is all about instant gratification. Speed seems to be an issue here lately. I'm not the one in charge, so I'm not the one to make such a decision, I can only advise to weigh the options carefully, so sayeth the oracle of Delphi. :rolleyes:

Didn't you have this thing hosted on your own server once before and it got to be too much to handle or . . . something.

Jim,

Yeah, I had it hosted on my old server. This new server is pretty slick so I'm sure it can handle the load.

Here's what options we have:

1. Keep this forum board. It's free, but I do lose potential money from the google banners since I don't own the board. On the other hand, I know that forum regulars rarely click on banners of any type, so the loss is probably minimal.
  2. Purchase and install my own Invision Power Board. The new Invision forum board is pretty damn sweet. It has lots of new built-in features like member blogs and image galleries. There's a special wrapper I can use with Invision Power Board so it uses the main combatsim.com username and passwords too so you don't have separate login issues.
  3. Purchase and install vBulletin. VBulletin Board, in my estimation, is one of the finest message boards on the web. Truly a nice board, lots of great member features too. As with Invision, there's a special wrapper I can use with vBulletin so it uses the main combatsim.com username and passwords too so you don't have separate login issues.
  4. Use the Free phpBB message board: This is a very good message board and it's free. I especially like it's one-click install of different skins. Only drawback is that it doesn't have a whole ton of member features.
  5. Use the message board built into the main site. Believe it or not, there's a message board already built into the main site that uses the main site's usernames and passwords to login. Two drawbacks with that option in my estimation: 1) I don't like the idea of the entire site's article archive and the forums tapping into the same database because of potential for lag, and 2) the built in forum is pretty plain Jane. Not a lot of extra features.
  6. Re-open the old, original message board. Yeah, I could do this. It'd probably run pretty decently too since the new server can handle all the bloody cgi calls it makes. Drawback is that it won't allow the integration of the main site user names and passwords and, well, it doesn't have a lot of nifty features. Bit long in the tooth technology wise.

See, it's never just a simple, straight-forward thing with me. I have to analyse the crap out of everything :D

What sayeth youse guys? And don't say, "What ever you think, Doug." If you have an opinion, or you know of something I'm not considering, speak up!

:)

I'm sorry Doug, but this is over my head.

LOL! Sorry, bro...sometimes I just figure everybody knows exactly what I'm on about.

I'm living in a very weird place where the above descriptions seem like normal, everyday stuff.

Sorry 'bout that.

"Use the Free phpBB message board"

You got a link so I can check that one out?

I don't think it is all that broke actually either. I just had some trouble with it for a day or so. Seems ok again now. If I write a long PM or something I will save it to clipboard first in case it stalls out until I trust it again. Seems to be ok now though.

Hopefully it is ok and you can just leave it!

Paddles, that one looks pretty cool. Considering we have no functional search feature on this one, I think that one would more than get the job done if you wanted to change to a new solution.

It really is not worth much trouble though. I have very few problems with this one. Seems to run pretty well most of the time. If you just want to change it ok but I don't think you need to. ;)

OK,Doug,all seems well again. I go with Schatten,if it ain't broke,don't fix it. Loading is back to normal for me,anyway. Maybe a small gremlin was playing around,but has now gone back home!