Corsair pics, my 1/32 scale effort,

Stans

While I had the scanner running, I thought I would share with you the pictures of my Revell 1/32 scale F4U-1A Corsair. This model nearly won an award in a local IPMS contest, at least right up to the point the judges found out I was not a member of their club. The rules never stated I had to be a member and many entrants were not. I haven't bothered to compete since.

Anyway, it is the old Revell 1/32 offering. I used the kit decals for the kill flags, squadron insignia, national insignia, aircraft numbers and tail lettering. All other markings are done by hand, the fuel tank tape is actually made from decal stripes, two wide. The antennae, both HF and VHF whip, are made from electric guitar string. Brake lines are copper wire. No aftermarket parts went into this effort. The vanes in the wing intakes are sheet plastic, cut and placed individually, the flat bullet proof panel and gunsight reflector are clear sheet plastic. All of the raised panel lines were carefully removed and rescribed so as to be recessed. The instrument panel was painted by hand and clear liquid acrylic placed over every guage. Seat harness is made from strips of masking tape. And yes, you can see yourself in the rear view mirrors, they are plastic stock with polished aluminum foil surfaces.

If I had to do it again I would glue the wing panels in either the folded or extended position. I built this model with operating folding wings.

I put more effort into this model and it also marks the first time I ever used an airbrush. I finished this in January of 1995. Haven't had a serious model building effort since.

On to the pics.

766_1120260359_mycorsair1.jpg

766_1120260323_mycorsair2.jpg

766_1120260298_mycorsair3.jpg

766_1120260259_mycorsair4.jpg

766_1120260232_mycorsair5.jpg

766_1120260203_mycorsair6.jpg

That was actually the first project on which I used an airbrush, but the weathering was actually done by hand as well. Chipped paint and exhaust and fuel stains applied by the technique known as dry brushing.