COMBATSIM Forum

Hello All, 

I need your recommendations for a good Joystick/or a GamePad that will allow me to play my old Games, I have several games spanning from Win10 all of the way back to Win95. My games are mostly Flight Simulator and First Person Shooter type games, I have a Logitech 3d Pro Joystick but honestly I'm afraid the learning curve is a little bit much too for me (as I am just a simple old gamer)

I did check out the some of the latest controllers here:  https://www.toptenselect.com/top-10-best-joysticks-flight-controllers-pc-gamers/  But knew I could here and ask real gamer's for their opinions and recommendations, so please help me sort through all these different controllers, etc... Thank you to all!

Cheers! MikeG65   

Welcome to CSim, MikeG65!  I'm a long time flight sim enthusiast and I am still using the controllers I bought about 10 years ago.  I use CH Products controllers.  Fighterstiick USB control stick, Prothrottle throttle quadrant, and Propedals rudder pedals.

Welcome MikeG65! The Thrustmaster and Saitek HOTAS are very good products. They have more of a learning curve vs what you are currently using MikeG65. I use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick. Other than mapping the buttons, not to difficult to use. Two reasons why I don't use the HOTAS and rudder pedals. One, I am physically disabled, so this prevents me from being able to use the rudder pedals effectively due to decreased. And two, was the expense. But if you are playing flight sims, I would recommend a set up like Stans uses. Especially if you want more precise control, and lets face it, using that kind of setup is as close as you will get to flying the real thing!

I have never used a gamepad. Never have played on a console. Though gamepads are available for PC's, playing FPS's I use the keyboard and mouse. I'm just old school, and well, just out right old. :D

What flight sims do you or did you play? A lot of use here got together many years ago playing European Air War. Then on to IL-2 Sturmovik.

I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X.  It's easy to use, not difficult to assign tasks to buttons, though that varies from game to game.  I don't have rudder pedals since I always had a stick with the rudder function.  As Donster says, for more immersion a HOTAS setup and rudder pedals should be on your shopping list.

Mostly, I play World of Warships, which is keyboard and mouse controlled, plus IL-2: Battles of Stalingrad and Moscow.  In the IL-2 games you set stick dead zone and application curve in the game.  Some sticks have their own apps to accomplish those things in addition to doing a lot of other hooyah I don't understand.

I tried DCS but I'm not smart enough for that game.  :)

Old Guy

Again thanks guys for your responses, I'm glad to see that it's not just me with these modern games lol!  For a moment there I thought I was the only one (too old) for these newer games and somehow had entered in to the twilight zone of PC gaming :) 

Cheers to all! MikeG65 

If you ask everyone here MikeG65, I've been in the Twilight Zone™ for around 20 years. :D

6 hours ago, Donster said:

If you ask everyone here MikeG65, I've been in the Twilight Zone™ for around 20 years. :D

Don't let him fool you.  He's been slouched in a chair in the Babe Bunker for most of that 20 years.  There's nothing wrong with his legs either.  His rudder pedals expired due to the accumulated drool.  

Presented as a public service by the Old Guy radio network.

OG