COMBATSIM Forum

(Guild Wars) Our characters

Schatten

Just to make it easy for the other guys here that have it to find me if they're online here are my characters:

Madagascar Cobb: Ranger/Warrior (post-thingmie)

Mordechai Cobb: Warrior/Monk (pre-thingmie)

I just put "thingmie" there for the guys that have it but haven't gotten to that point since I don't want to spoil it for them.

But a word of advice when you see a Quest in Ascalon city where the guy says "Make sure you're really, really sure you want to continue..." seriously be really, really sure you want to continue. The thingmie is quite a thing to wrap your head around at first, especially when you go back and check out some of your favorite places after it happens and just go,"D'oh!"

I don't know if the add a friend deal works if someone's offline or not, I have Skipper on my Friend's List but he was online when I did it, and I don't know the full names of anyone else from here's characters to try it when they're offline to see if it works.

Also for Red and Badger, we'll have to go to the International Zones to play together, since the servers are divided up between the US, Europe and Korea but that isn't a big deal. Actually when the US cities are busy and I just don't want to hear all the auction shouting I go to the International Zones now anyhow, they're very sparsely populated usually and that means less people yelling all over the place.

Anyhow if you're looking for me in the game, those are the guys to try to send messages to. :D

I'm keeping Mordechai pre-thingmie for a while so I can help anyone else that gets the game from here out, I know the way around and can be the tour guide and all. But I'm getting antsy to see what the post-thingmie armor for him would look like so I may make some guide-use only character and send Mord through the Red Text Be Really Sure Quest.

Schatt if you keep this up im going to have some serious weapons malfunctions when we are flying in formation next. :D:D

Just had to fork out $75 for a new nortons antivirus so my saving regime has started all over again.

Its your fault Rick when my wife asks why im spending money :P:P:P

Hey I didn't give ya any viruses I swear!

:o

Well if you wife really wants to like pound on me or something for you spending money tell her I always wanted to visit Australia and she can pummel me if I can sleep on the porch for a week or something. Hell I was a carpenter too ya know, I can fix that roof right up for ya. ;)

EDIT: AVG is what I use, it seems as good if not better than Norton's and it's free too. But you probably didn't want to hear that either. :unsure:

I was using AVG and had a hardrive full of viruses that it never picked up , d/l the free trial of nortons and whammo a clean drive.

Give me 3 years and ill have a Granny flat setup for visitors :thumbsup:

Huh, sorry to hear that man. I never had any that AVG didn't catch. That and using adaware and some other programs pretty much kills anything dead before it could take root.

I went through all that right after my reinstall of Windows, was harrowing to say the least and whoever invented aboutblank.whateveritis needs kicked in the nads. Hard.

Some pictures of the guys...

mc046gt.jpg

Maddy sporting some Drakescale armor, at Beacon's Perch in the Shiverpeak Mountains. Yes it's as cold as it looks, I almost got the screenshot to show the puffs of breath but was a little slow on the key.

mc051rj.jpg

Maddy sprting some Druid armor in Lion's Arch near the docks. Argggh matey!

moc017ia.jpg

Mordechai in his stylish Ringmail armor, near the Wall by Fort Ranik in Regent's Valley.

:D

The Character I finally settled on; John the Stag, shown pre and post the Searing:

394_1120569915_johnthestag.jpg

It's kind of reassuring to know that somwhere, amidst all that post-apocalyptic decay, there is at least one good-quality haircare company around...

Hehe, yeah the Rangers do have the wild hair that's for sure.

When I get on the game next time (busy day today) I'll see if I can add you to the friends list Stag, since you'll probably not be on that'll answer a question I had about how and when you can add to that thingmie.

Post Searing is different too isn't it? The Skipper and I were actually annoyed, for real, at the Char for what they did to the place...

:thumbsup:

The air after the Searing is just as bad, Jim.

I just got into the post-Searing game Yesterday, so I'm still scouting out the area around what's left of Ascalon. As for the Charr, I agree with you as far as the "Annoyance" goes; Arenanet did a really good job of setting the scene there.

I know there's one of the bastards out close to what used to be the farmlands near Ashford Abbey, but so far my attempts to attrite his grawl sidekicks to the point where me and kitty can give him an uninterrupted kicking have been unsuccessful.

But it's on my "To Do" list.

BTW, Joined any Guilds?

Well, I signed on this mornin just to go out and check the air and kill some gargoyles post just for spending cash and who do you suppose I wandered in to? John The Stag, young Level 8 Ranger/Monk. Short little guy too. Anyway, solves that little mystery of how do we hook up with folks on the other side of the world. I hadn't been to any of the international districts before so it was new for me. But I checked with John and found what district he was in, traveled to it, and hooked and found him standing there looking all ranger/monk-ish. Gonna try and hook up around 1700 local, 2200 GMT to get the young lad bloodied real good in the post-searing world of Ascalon.

:edit: For an answer to your question Schatt, you have to frequently pull up your "friends list" and check who's on. That's the only way I saw Stag this morning. I have not seen anything that would give you an alert to someone being on.

Yeah I sorta figured as much, no alert that is.

And Staggers, the Skipper and I felt the same way, we were in pre-Searing for a good long while and then you get to post-Searing and it's like,"Look what those so-and-so's did to (insert name of place here)." The developers really did a good job of making you miss the "good old days" so to speak, by getting you attached to the place and then...well Searing it.

Much more effective in my opinion if it would have started out post-Sear at the beginning of the game.

It's subtle, but I also think it's kind of cool that most of the beasties I've run into are bigger and far more aggressive versions of those found before the big S; they're no longer being culled by every Tom/Dick/Harry or Ethel that walks past. A trip which was, literally, a walk in the park two years ago is made more deadly not only by (super)nature running wild, but by some of the critters which were pretty mean anyway no longer being kept at arms length by constant patrols. So familiar, yet so dangerous.

Really helps in the immersion department.

It's very immersive. Like Stag and I noted this morning, don't get close to children in RPGs. Don't take that Carrion Devourer for granted because you used to kick the living crap out of it. Watch out for that Crawl now, he's learned some new tricks he didn't have two years ago. The Charr however, seemed to have suffered some themselves in the Searing. Either that or we're getting better. Tactics are definately being refined, re-defined and adapted for the new enviroment.

Oh yeah. Screenshots later but my two charactors:

Pre-Searing: Voslic Halyard, Ranger/Elementalist, Level 7.

Post-Searing: Gunny Cobb, Ranger/Warrior, Level 12.

I just sent Modechai up to Post-Searing, basically I needed space in my vault because I'd collected about 6 or 7 things for him and they were taking up space that I need for Madagascar.

Going through the Acadamy for the 2nd time was a little less confusing lemme tell you, I got paired up with some random Necro/Monk and we had 2 henchmen, the other party was 4 human controlled players and we beat them 9 to 3. I don't think they were expecting the powa of my mighty smites... :thumbsup:

Downside, well I was planning on trying out a Mesmer anyhow so I'll have a "guide" available pre-Sear for anyone else that comes along, but the major downside is the armor worth having post-Searing for Mordechai requires Fur squares. Fur squares are a royal PAIN to get. The conundrum is that I have 19 Charr hides from running the Missions with Madagascar, should I roll the dice so to speak, use my salvage kit and try to get the 2 fur squares from that and possibly fall short, or should I take the easy but potentially wasteful route of turning them in to the Charr Hide collector which gives one Fur per 4 Hides? Hmmm...

See even inventory managment/salvage is all about tactical/most bang for the buck sort of chocies. :lol:

As for immersion? Lightyears beyond any other online RPG I've played, until now I thought the most immersive computer RPG ever was Arcanum, that is the one that most made you feel like you were there and came close to a tabletop RPG sort of experience...this beats that and it's online. :thumbsup:

It's very immersive.  Like Stag and I noted this morning, don't get close to children in RPGs.  Don't take that Carrion Devourer for granted because you used to kick the living crap out of it.  Watch out for that Crawl now, he's learned some new tricks he didn't have two years ago.  The Charr however, seemed to have suffered some themselves in the Searing.  Either that or we're getting better.  Tactics are definately being refined, re-defined and adapted for the new enviroment.

Oh yeah.  Screenshots later but my two charactors:

Pre-Searing: Voslic Halyard, Ranger/Elementalist, Level 7.

Post-Searing: Gunny Cobb, Ranger/Warrior, Level 12.

Yeah, the Charr seem to have gone the way of the Cylons and Imperial Stormtroopers.

Good; I can kill more of them. :angry:

As for supply of certain items, I'm going to use one of my old Characters that didn't make the grade as a mule; Gear up with stuff hard to get Post Searing and then send him through. bit of a cheat, but still... B)

Hmmm.

On 1; as you pointed out, John the Stag is vertically challenged.

On 2; You really want to wait until somebody has not only invented gunpowder, but developed a practical cannon, then refined the concept until it can be fired from the shoulder, and thought of bunging an appropriately shaped dagger in the muzzle?

There ya go Staggers, bringing Logic into it...for shame. :lol:

The Charr definately have gone all Stormtrooper on us, in the Above the Wall quest pre-Sear they were deadly as all get out, along the lines of "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are that precise." Post-Sear they're like the Stormtroopers from Return of the Jedi, getting taken out with moderately pointed sticks and quasi-bulky rocks.

Mordechai just took out 4 blade warriors single handedly, and I'm the same level I was pre-Sear, but I think the difference is I have better armor and better skills than I did then. Ignore pain, which I used maybe once on Maddy since Warrior is his secondary profession really makes a difference with Mordechai since he's primary Warrior. With my strength it gives me +150odd hitpoints. :o

I'm also rethinking his role if we use him in a group. Solo pre-Sear I didn't have the range of skills so I was pretty evenly split with Warrior and Monk ones, post-Sear I have a lot more of both and Warrior ones take up most of my bar now. The Smite that was my Catacombs solo bread and butter may need a rethink, on undead it does more damage than on Charr so I'm thinking until we get to a place where there's lots of undead (and I been there with Maddy so know when it's coming) I'll shift all those points in Smite over to Healing. But I'm not sure yet.

Again the game shows how tactical ya have to think, especially with only equipping Skills in towns or encampments and with only having 8 slots for a metric buttload of skills. Madagascar's number of skills is insane already, I can only imagine what it'll be like when we're 20 and having to narrow down 8 from a list as long as my arm.