Jump to content
COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Yet more weekend music

Recommended Posts

Better get around to sorting out my Q1 accounts, so some background music is needed...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikew said:

Better get around to sorting out my Q1 accounts, so some background music is needed...

 

As you are sorting out those accounts, getting stressed, maybe even see your temper flare, remember that there are certain words you should not use.  Here is a reminder of the language to be avoided.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for words like that...at least if I can find all my receipts, which I have.  😇

So just a case of putting on some pleasant music on the gramophone while I scan them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stans said:

 

As you are sorting out those accounts, getting stressed, maybe even see your temper flare, remember that there are certain words you should not use.  Here is a reminder of the language to be avoided.

 

 

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mikew said:

No need for words like that...at least if I can find all my receipts, which I have.  😇

So just a case of putting on some pleasant music on the gramophone while I scan them.

 

Well, if it's Gramophone music you desire, here is two hours worth, sonny!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmmm... Gramophone music... wanna bet this will wake up Whizkid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid that's slightly too old, but I'll meet you half way...which is about 1970.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gramophone to Megaphone...

 Hit #1 on Billboard's Top 100 in December 1966. Also #1 in Canada on the RPM 100 national singles charts, and No. 4 in the UK Singles Chart. The song won the 1967 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary (R&R) Recording, despite not being a rock and roll song. People were doing a lot of LSD back then. I bet that's Whizkid sitting at that table. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splendid!

That reminds me of this tune which also came out in 1967, although I don't know which came first...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my childhood.  We listened to stuff like this whenever the dinosaurs left the gramophone untended.  :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then there were the Beach Boys.  I was a sophmore in high school when this one came  out.  Nothing particularly memorable in the song, but there are fantastic cars in the video.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was one of our theme songs in Vietnam.  The video is pretty good.  Accurate portrayal of a combat assault.  Plus, the helicopters have the doors off.  Only Hueys carrying generals and other staff morons had the doors on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vietnam...Interesting place.
My tour occurred some 50 years after OG's and in markedly different circumstances, so not much common ground for discussion.

 

Thinking about the political events in SE Asia in the 1960s is enough to give anybody the blues...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff Jim! :thumbsup: My older brother had a new '64 Impala SS. It had the 300 HP 327 V8 option. Did you ever hear the real Adrian Cronauer on AFVN? I can't remember when you were there. He was there in 65-66.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another famous Viet Nam war song...

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!" yoh
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no no no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no no no

 

 

Tuesday night Lottie and I are heading out to the airport to welcome home another Honor Flight. Another one of our neighbors, a Vietnam Vet, is on the flight. This will be our third Honor Flight that we have gone out to welcome home. Very moving event. Ray, our neighbor who is going on this flight, has been battling skin cancer for the past few years. On his neck, shoulders, face and hands. He said when on patrol his squad got sprayed with agent orange. He told me he wasn't sure if they were where they were not supposed to be, or the pilot dumped in the wrong location. He said that most of his original squad members from that day are gone now. All but one from cancer of some type. One from a heart attack. A couple haven't been sick at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donster said:

Tuesday night Lottie and I are heading out to the airport to welcome home another Honor Flight. Another one of our neighbors, a Vietnam Vet, is on the flight. This will be our third Honor Flight that we have gone out to welcome home. Very moving event. Ray, our neighbor who is going on this flight, has been battling skin cancer for the past few years. On his neck, shoulders, face and hands. He said when on patrol his squad got sprayed with agent orange. He told me he wasn't sure if they were where they were not supposed to be, or the pilot dumped in the wrong location. He said that most of his original squad members from that day are gone now. All but one from cancer of some type. One from a heart attack. A couple haven't been sick at all.

That's great that you and Lottie are going to welcome another Honor Flight!

Agent Orange affected people in different ways.  I know one vet who was exposed to Agent Orange and now suffers from dementia and is a brittle diabetic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donster said:

Good stuff Jim! :thumbsup: My older brother had a new '64 Impala SS. It had the 300 HP 327 V8 option. Did you ever hear the real Adrian Cronauer on AFVN? I can't remember when you were there. He was there in 65-66.

 

I was there in 67-68.  Everybody listened to AFVN.  I think a lot of guys had radios capable of picking up the BBC World Service and stations out of Japan, but I'm not sure.

 

OG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...