COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Donster

New Deck

Got my deck rebuilt yesterday. Turned out pretty good if you ask me! :)

Old Deck...

Deck1_zpsntsorzv3.jpg

New Deck...

Deck10_zpsfrruqe37.jpg

We are are starting the process of replacing our outdoor wood surfaces too.  It actually started years ago with covering the cedar siding with a layer of foam insulation and vinyl siding plus aluminum replacement windows.  I am awaiting the estimate for posts, railings, decking and steps, all in aluminum and synthetic materials, for our front porch.  The porch is only 5 feet deep, but it extends across the entire front of the house, so it ain't gonna be cheap!  Then there will be the stoop at the back door, then the deck, which is big.  This house is now 30 years old and I have come to the conclusion that yellow pine, no matter what sort of chemical treatment, stain, or paint it is given, is not suitable for long term outdoor use.  Oak and cedar are far better, but who can afford to use those types of wood for extensive outdoor porch and decking?

If you are looking at the Trex brand decking, don't get their Trex Enhance Basics line. It is their lowest priced decking. However, through a number of contractors they have told me that the Basics line is prone to mildew on the underside of the planking. Especially in humid, shaded areas. They have a grooved surface underneath. The causes moisture to not drip away very easily. Trex Select and Trex Transend are smooth on the bottom side of the planking.

You've got some expense ahead of you for sure Mike.

Oh, yes, it's expensive, but by the time it needs replacing, I'll be dead.  Thanks for the heads up on the types of Trex.

Very nice.

What are those 3 bits of 4x4 holding up?

They don't appear in the 'old deck' photo.

40 minutes ago, mikew said:

Very nice.

What are those 3 bits of 4x4 holding up?

They don't appear in the 'old deck' photo.

I had them added so I could continue to put out my bird feeders. You can see the feeders hanging from those three posts if you look close enough. I have flower pot hangers mounted to the posts to hang the feeders on. The old deck had a wood railing. I used clamp on feeder poles to hang the feeders on. Couldn't use them with new new aluminum railings. I also had the heated bird bath mounted to the old railings too. Had to get a stand alone heated bath to set on the deck to replace it. The wife and I get much enjoyment watching the large variety of birds that come to chow down. I particularly look forward to the return of the Orioles and the Hummingbirds each Spring.

Heated bird bath? You're spoiling those critters, and I hope they appreciate your efforts by not defecating on your new deck. :)

I'd always associated Hummingbirds with the tropics, but the internet tells me that a few species migrate north to cover most of North America for the summer.

That's something I didn't know yesterday. :thumbsup:

We get lots of hummingbirds here in Montana.  I have at least 6 drinking from our feeder.  They're cool little birds.

But no heated bird bath here. 

OG

Ein heatedt bird bazh?  Zhat ist zhe epitome ofv ekztravaganze!  How kan vou afvord zhutch zhings?  Beink ofverpaid ja?  Juzt vou vait until zhe Amerikafuhrer hearz ofv zhis!

Heil Trvump!

5 hours ago, Herr Soren Fick said:

Ein heatedt bird bazh?  Zhat ist zhe epitome ofv ekztravaganze!  How kan vou afvord zhutch zhings?  Beink ofverpaid ja?  Juzt vou vait until zhe Amerikafuhrer hearz ofv zhis!

Heil Trvump!

Right Herr No Dick. Just think of the heated bird bath as a birdie hot tub. They lounge around, sipping Loons Farm Wine, munching on Mealworms, and smoking imported ciggies from Turkey. So just goosestep your arse out of here, or I will call up a few of my Russian contacts.

Oh and I won't release my tax returns either. :P

Wow!  I must say that I was unaware that there was any such thing as a heated bird bath.

2 hours ago, Stans said:

Wow!  I must say that I was unaware that there was any such thing as a heated bird bath.

I thought that was some euphanism for a saucepan  :D

...but Donster really does appear to want to look at them rather than eat them.

22 hours ago, mikew said:

I thought that was some euphanism for a saucepan  :D

...but Donster really does appear to want to look at them rather than eat them.

:rofl:

I don't think there is much meat on little song birds, so it's probably not worth taking the time away from maintaining the Babe Bunker.

12 minutes ago, Stans said:

:rofl:

I don't think there is much meat on little song birds, so it's probably not worth taking the time away from maintaining the Babe Bunker.

It takes one hell of a lot of Cardinals, Goldfinches, Blue Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, Red Headed Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves. Orioles, etc to make a decent size serving of Buffalo Wings.

And let's not even think about how many Hummingbirds it would take. Plucking them would be a bitch too. :D

2 hours ago, Donster said:

It takes one hell of a lot of Cardinals, Goldfinches, Blue Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, Red Headed Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves. Orioles, etc to make a decent size serving of Buffalo Wings.

And let's not even think about how many Hummingbirds it would take. Plucking them would be a bitch too. :D

ACH!  Vou eat zhe little birdiez ja?  Zhat ist dizguztink!  Ich do nicht zhink zhat vou schould hav akzess to zhis "Babe Bunker" zo hand zhe keyz ovfer to me.  Schnell!

Herr Foren Sick, you disgust me and the very thought of you being within 100 miles of the Babe Bunker makes me wretch.  Don't hold your breath waiting for any information about it's whereabouts or how to gain entry.

On second thought, you should hold your breath, in fact, to make it an easier process I suggest you put a plastic bag over your head so that your breath does not escape.