Thankyou Schatt

Red

Well Red, the boxed set is reasonably priced and you can watch it over and over and over again. :thumbsup:

Next Friday I think it's starting to rerun on the Sci-Fi channel when the new Battlestar Galactica starts up. :thumbsup:

And best of all September 30th (here, I'm not sure about down there) the feature movie of the show, Serenity, comes out in theatres. This isn't to be confused with "Serenity" the show's pilot, this is an all new movie. I've seen it already on an advanced screening and...it rocks. Hard. :thumbsup:

Universal said that if the movie does well at all, there would be sequels to the movie. And I can't see it not doing well at all because anymore not only does the theatre sales (which should be good) count for the decision on sequels but so do DVD sales and the Firefly boxed set is still in the top 20 sellers in some cities on Amazon.

If it does really, really well then Universal could even buy the broadcast TV rights off Fox, something Fox is holding on to out of spite more or less, but if the money is right (from sales point of view for Universal and "big cash deal" point of view from Fox) then it could potentially be back on TV. All of the cast say that it was the best thing they ever worked on and love it, they all showed back up for the movie and they'd all love to restart the TV series too so...anything's possible.

But yes for all of you reading this that haven't seen Firefly, run do not walk, to the nearest video place and get it. Trust me on this one. :D

Shame only one season was ever produced.

There is no justice!

About six months ago we got "Sky TV" and found that Firefly was in the middle of its maiden UK TV run, along side the (then) latest series of "Enterprize" and the remake of "Battlestar Galactica"

So with a herculean effort of will, we avoided all contact with them, because we wanted to see them from the start.

Finally our patience has been rewarded and after reshowing the "Serenity" pilot, sky have been replaying Firefly which we've been enjoying now for ...oooh about six weeks?

It's just as great as I hoped it would be and there is simply no logic in a series as accomplished as this biting the dust after only one season! Compared to say "Andromeda" which follows Firefly on a Wednesday night and which we always knew was a bit weak, but now we can see the comparison so starkly! Yet Andromeda is now in what...... season 5? or is it even 6?

Actually.. I'm feeling a little gutted as I type this because while we have been watching series 4 of Enterprize on "Channel 4", we've been recording series 5, (the last ever :( ) on Sky to watch once we are up to date.

That happened last week and we've just turned to our tapes with relish, ready to enjoy the whole 5th season. Only to discover that somehow we missed one!!! So we finished one episode with the Enterprize rushing to the Andorian homeworld to warn them about a Vulcan plot and then...... WHAT!!!!!???

Anyway, don't get me started on Sci-Fi.. oh, you already did.

Badger

Firefly didn't even get a season really though, they cut it midstream without any real warning, so while Objects in Space is the last TV episode it wasn't set up to be a season, let alone series, finale. So it just abruptly ends really.

The movie takes place 6 months after the events of Objects in Space, and starting next week there's a run of 3 Dark Horse comics that fills in those 6 months. I'm getting them for sure, but you don't need them to understand the movie if you saw the series. Actually I think the movie is so damn good that it'll attract a lot of new Firefly fans and get them to go back and see what they missed with the boxed set of the show.

I won't say anything about what happens in the movie so as to not spoil it, but it's like a 2 hour (and yeah it's 2 hours not this 90 minute stuff that's become common at the movies) episode of the show. And if you look at it like a 2 hour episode it's gotta be the funniest, most action packed, and most tragic of all of the Firefly episodes ever. It's just That Damn Good.

I never liked Star Trek much, always seemed too clean and touchy feely but I am eagerly awaiting more Battlestar Galactica. In fact I'm a little cheesed off, the DVD box set of the first season/run has been out in the UK since March and the 2nd season/run starts next week here but no sign of the DVD set. This is very very vexing because it's the best Sci-Fi on TV since...well Firefly. And in my not so humble opinion Firefly was the best Sci-Fi on TV since Space: Above and Beyond, another great show unceremoniously and prematurely axed by Fox.

One thing I really find refreshing about Firefly & BG is:

no transporters. The computer memory storage capacity and speed makes the endeavour impractical, even if theoretically possible.

no time travel or interaction with a parallel universe. That's a big discussion but even with the current super-string or M-theory, I'm saying not happening.

no-one disintegrating after a full power "phaser" hit (the energy release from a vapourized body would take out Newfoundland).

Marc you forgot to mention the most coolest thing too...houses in the rural areas are made of wood. Not like one Luddite's cabin, but whole towns, all the shiny glass and steel buildings are in the Core (Firefly) or major Colonial cities (BG). The "frontier" in Firefly actually feels like a real one, sure they could have hover cars and laser pistols but it's the ass end of the galaxy so it'd be cheaper to use horses and Winchesters, which they do. It's sorta refreshing to see actual economic considerations in a sci-fi show, cattle would really be more important to colonists on some new settlement than the latest gee-whiz technology. That's the providence of the Core and/or the stupidly rich. Although one day I would like a floaty island all my own too... :D

Also the science isn't there to be all wow-y. In Battlestar they have FTL jumps but thank God they don't have some technogeek Engineer babbling off schematics, it's there, it works, but it's there to get the story along. That's the same way with science in Firefly, it's there but the story comes before the technobabbly stuff. Hell until Serenity Joss Whedon never even specifically said if there was FTL in the Firefly 'Verse, he said it wasn't important because all the science stuff is just trappings for the story. In the movie though it does definitively answer if it's one system or not and if they have FTL or not...if you wanna know the answer, then go see the movie when it comes out. ;)