Guild Wars -

Red

Ok mighty adventurers , when this thing rolls up and i install and what not - is there anything i need to do to start with that is important or should i just get online and start bashing things over the head with Flames and ice , yes im going to give the Elementalist a whirl , sorry Schatt no healer im afraid , ranger as back up class , just so i can carry a weapon for close in defence.

Name wise you can look for a mage named Shalazar darkfoot , i should have said game on wednesday or thursday , got it $20 off normal retail so my lovely wife gave me the go ahead to buy :thumbsup:

It's pretty much plug and play, so no hassles there Red.

Let us know when you're about and we'll give you a hand. Only suggestion is start collecting gold and crafting materials ASAP, so you're not hunting around later.

Elementalists are pretty neat Red, there are lots and lots of Fire mages running around, big blowup spells, but I was looking at some of their skills the other day and an Earth mage can do all sorts of wild stuff. Ward Against Melee which stops all hand to hand attacks looks really, really interesting.

If you want to carry a weapon for close in defense you should probably take Warrior instead of Ranger, the only weapon that Rangers can put Attribute points into is bow and if they're that close you don't want to be using a bow anyhow since you can't parry with it. A straight up Ranger can fight close up with a bow because Expertise lets you get off shots very fast, plus they have tricks like Throw Dirt and Traps. Although a pet could be considered a close in weapon you'd have to take all of your points you were going to use for Ranger and put them in Beastmaster, but there isn't much of a pet interface, basically they attack what you attack, you can't set it on a guard mode or anything like that.

The second class is more like icing on the cake than a real dual class like in D&D, you don't have access to the secondary class' primary attribute so that takes away some of the effectiveness, basically unless you're shifting points around for a specific mission you'll usually only have points in one of the attribute lines of the secondary class and if you're using 2 or more of them later in the game you probably should have taken that class as your primary and not secondary.

That was probably more confusing than it needed to be but think you'll see what I'm saying.

So did it come Red?

I was just tinkering around with something and an Elementalist/Monk could be the most mass killing thing walking...although you're very squishy indeed. Monk helps with that some and there could be a tactic in here that would make being extra squishy actually a Good Thing. But it'd need testing more and you'd get throttled hard up until you got the Monk spell that capped all damage at 5% of your total health.

If you did get that though, even dragons (which we haven't seen yet) or Wurms (which unfortunately I have on my own) could only hit you for 5% of your health, which means 20 hits to kill you instead of 2-3 very hard and triple digit swings. Then since you'd be extra squishy (I'm talking around 100 HP here) then you wouldn't need to put much into Healing and could use the basic, first spell you learn, ain't worth jack in most situations, Orison of Healing to pretty much heal yourself to full with one cast and make them take another 20 swings to drop you...could be very interesting, especially if you stacked a whole mob of creatures right on top of you, were fleet of finger to get the heal off, and called down some massive area of effect spell with them standing on your toes.

Might bear some testing but the damage numbers I was seeing even in Pre-Searing were insane, the little 4th level Elementalist killed things faster than either Maddy or Mordechai did at level 7-9 before they left Pre-Searing. That's relative since the creatures Pre-Sear are pretty low level anyhow, but speed of killing = good for XP and more importantly for any guild that we'd start, lots of cold hard cash coming in fast through speed kills.

:D

Ok Schatt you got mr curious on the Elementalist/Monk setup , should have game tommorow and will jump on TS in morning , usual time , that i normally appear , mabey earlier if my boy goes down ealier

Well I was having a hell of a time trying to connect about an hour ago, on that crap dialup, kept losing my phone tone...turns out the phone company was messing with my lines, there was a knock at the door and...DSL installed baby!

Ahem, sorry I was just going insane with that dialup.

Red the interesting thing about an Elementalist/Monk combo is that there is a low level yet effective Elementalist enchantment that you cast on yourself, it lasts for 60 seconds and what it does is that everytime you cast a spell in that period it heals you for a certain percentage of the cost of that spell. The percentage is variable and based on your attribute level (think skill level) in Energy Storage. Even with a 3 in it I was healing myself for 130-odd percent, so if a spell costs 5 points of energy to cast then it would heal me as soon as I cast it for like +8 hit points. You can see how that could be effective I'm sure.

But by adding Monk it also applies, so when I cast the crap Orison of Healing spell, which is also 5 energy, it was healing me for the 9 hitpoints plus the 20 that the Orison usually heals, that's without having put any points in Healing which is the controlling attribute for the Orison. So for self-healing you're double dipping more or less.

Since monsters seem to like to go after the healers first, which is pretty smart of them, then as an Elementalist/Monk even if you're casting offensive spells you're healing yourself at the same time with the enchantment up, if you heal someone else you're also healing yourself as well. Plus with the Energy Storage attribute which is the Elementalist's primary, you not only get the best energy regeneration rate in the game but also the largest pool of energy since it increases with every point in Energy Storage. So potentially an Elementalist/Monk could be both devastating offensively as well as a pretty good self and party healer. In some attribute mixes, say putting most of your points in Energy Storage (Elementalist), Earth (Elementalist) and Healing (Monk) you could not only keep yourself healed but also shield the rest of the party with anti-melee Earth spells, potentially making them a better party mix than a straight Healing Monk and at the same time having some nasty state attacks like Blindness as well at having powerful Earth based spell attacks.

An Elementalist/Monk has some definate potential. And with GW you can swap out your Attributes, so you could go from a Fire mage for one mission to an Earth Mage for another, etc.

See Schatten doesn't want another Ranger and his companion running around killing things before he can. It's a Schatten thing.

Actually, Rick has threatened everything from making a bear-skin rug out of Oso to getting all rangers that run with him a pet attack squirel. Apparently the mighty 7ft 300lb Mordechia can't get around a small Oso or wolf.