Discovery Launch Scheduled for Sunday

Joker

Does it simulate the crawler taking the shuttle to the launch pad?  That's got to be exciting as the crawler reaches the blistering speed of slightly less than 2 kilometers per hour! :lol:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020304.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL!

Naw, Stans, the orbiters are static. Radar arrays are animated, though.

Nice little add-on for us space cowboys. Plenty of detail.

FS2004 has really got me hooked. It's sorta relaxing.

Still wanna shoot stuff, though ... :)

But does it come with a Death Ray?

If there's no Death Ray, I'm not interested. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naw, no death ray. But Patrick AFB is just south of the Cape. I have an add-on called AI Military Traffic that populates the FS 2004 world with modern fighters, bombers, transports, helos, and warships. Gets pretty busy out there.

RealAir has a Spit XIV that's pretty amazing, too. This ship is a cut above IL-2 modeling (be sure). Looks gorgeoous, and it's a challenge to fly. Everything is reproduced in fine detail. The virtual cockpit is incredible. You can fly her by the book and she'll respond just as she should.

This is an addictive sim. With the traffic, scenery, air-traffic control, and real-time weather, it takes immersion to another level. You can download weather from the Web that updates every 15 minutes. Say, if you decided to take off from Subic Bay, you'll see a close approximation of the actual weather at that very moment.

It's a legitimate virtual world, the kind of thing we're always asking for from our flight sims. In the end, that's the attraction, for me.

Frustrating to come up next to an F-16 and not be able to lock on, though. Can't even fire the cannons. Now that I've got this rich virtual world, I wanna blow it up!

Yeah see that's the thing. I understand how it could be neat to fly over a really real world (or at least appearing to be) but without being able to blow the everloving crap out of stuff...just not for me.

And I'll refrain from commenting on what I think of virtual airlines, let alone virtual airline passengers...although me refraining from commenting on it probably gives away what my opinion would be huh? D'oh! :lol:

Civilian flight sims just bore me to tears, I mean flying a plane in a combat sim is fun, you fly and you can engage targets on the ground and in the air. That's fun, but tooling around looking at the landscape seems like virtual driving to me. Which is fun in a racing game, but wouldn't be fun in a Roadtrip Sim where all you did was drive the family around to tourist sites in a minivan, all in real time...oh sh!t I shouldn't have said that, it could give Devs ideas. I mean if people will shell out for the Sims...just forget I said that thing about that thing.

:unsure:

Yeah see that's the thing. I understand how it could be neat to fly over a really real world (or at least appearing to be) but without being able to blow the everloving crap out of stuff...just not for me.

And I'll refrain from commenting on what I think of virtual airlines, let alone virtual airline passengers...although me refraining from commenting on it probably gives away what my opinion would be huh? D'oh!  :lol:

Civilian flight sims just bore me to tears, I mean flying a plane in a combat sim is fun, you fly and you can engage targets on the ground and in the air. That's fun, but tooling around looking at the landscape seems like virtual driving to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I used to feel the same way, Schatt, and for a long time. Then I started digging into the navigation and air-traffic control aspects of the sim. When you try to do it properly, according to the rules and regulations, all of a sudden it doesn't feel like driving anymore. In fact, it's pretty darn hard.

Then you snap to the fact that what you're learning is the same stuff an actual pilot needs to know. In other words, you're gaining practical skills. That makes you see the sim in a whole different light. This stuff is actually useful.

Still, I don't get how the CFS team botched things so thoroughly with this great sim to build on. I mean, can you just image flying a Corsair through dynamic weather in the Solomons -- and not just a weenie map, but a Solomons that's part of a map that spans the entire globe. With ongoing missions and traffic constantly happening around you. With just about every aircraft that flew during the era, including trainers. A military sim with the scope of FS 2004 would be breathtaking. If MS ever decided to adapt FS 2004 to full military, and do it properly, Oleg wouldn't stand a chance.

But I guess there's no money in that. The sheer size of the FS community just floors me. It's such a big market, payware add-ons are actually profitable. And they're good -- very good. The freeware stuff is frequently astonishing, as well. Most people just don't seem interested in flying combat, though.

Myself, I'll never stop flying combat, but the civil stuff makes a nice complement. And you can fly military birds, if only in training and transport capacities.

There are even carrier ops, you know ...

I agree with a lot of what you're saying man, MS really screwed up with the whole CFS series and I would have loved to have seen just the things you're describing. But I just can't get excited about civil aviation, or even flying deballed military planes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for a combat sim to make you have to learn on a trainer, and qualify and all of that, but with the goal of getting into a combat plane. Flying a Yellow Peril would be a blast, just not in FS 200X because I'd know that 1) I'm never getting sent on to Corsairs and 2) Even if I learn how to fly using it and then plop in PF the flight models are never the same, so...kinda useless to me.

I understand that people can like them, hell a lot of people like them. I'm just not one of them. The only way I'd spend more than 5 minutes with a civil sim is if I actually was trying to get a pilot's license, it'd be good practice on procedures. Otherwise...nah.

I like FS 2004 for the times I just want to take a plane up, fly around, look at scenery, maybe practice some aerobatics and just unwind. I do like some of the photo-realistic things in FS 2004 and I want to get the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's add-on B-25 package for FS2004.

I understand that people can like them, hell a lot of people like them. I'm just not one of them. The only way I'd spend more than 5 minutes with a civil sim is if I actually was trying to get a pilot's license, it'd be good practice on procedures. Otherwise...nah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I hear ya, Schatt. So happens I do have a Yellow Peril, BTW. And an AT-6, and a T-50, and a T-28, and a T-34, and a T-38. I'm planning on adding a T-37.

You do a lotta training, in FS 2004. :D

I dunno, it's kinda like having a train set. It's relaxing, if you know what I mean. A different sorta fun, I guess. Funny thing is, I got my boss into IL-2, and then he convinced me to try FS 2004. Shep flies for a virtual airline, too, I think.

You're right, plenty of of pilots and students do use FS 2004 to practice flight procedures. Even got me thinking about taking lesssons.

Now that would be scary ... !

I was seriously considering lessons back in 2001, then Sep. 11 happened and dampened my spirits for private aviation. I used the money to buy a house instead. All in all, not a bad deal with the house, but flying is a lot of fun.