Dukes of Hazzard, the movie. Ben Jones speaks out

Stans

Have you seen the video of Jessica Simpson (Daisy Duke) "singing" These Boots are Made for Walking ?? She acts like a hooker and not like daisy from the old show ( she does look good though ;) )

Well as little respect as I have for the "talent" of Jessica Simpson, in her (somewhat limited) defense the short shorts forever known as "Daisy Dukes" we started on that show so I really don't think that it was as wholesome as some would like to remember it being. Barbara Bach definately did a lot to cause the ratings of that show to go up, and it wasn't with her acting ability either.

I think they're making a mountain out of a molehill. Personally before I saw the preview for it in front of Mr. and Mrs. Smith (not a bad movie really) I was half expecting the General Lee to be sans Battle Flag, if there was any controversy over this movie that is where I was expecting it to be.

But the flag is on there, Daisy is wearing as slutty of clothing as you can get away with with a PG-13 (TV-T not being invented in the early 80's but I guarantee if the exact show we had then were played now it would have gotten it) movie, so all is relatively right in the world of Hazard County if you ask me.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I remember when the show originally aired and Daisy Duke's wardrobe was highly controversial and there was some innuendo. And the Dukes were not squeaky clean, they were, or at least had been, moonshiners and convicted as such. Bo and Luke were on probation or parole (I don't remember which) and were not supposed to leave the county, which they did fairly regularly. So to come out and say what a wholesome family show the original had been is really a stretch. I find it interesting how some people see things when viewed retrospectively.

The first season of DOH was pretty twisted, in terms of humor. Jokes about inbreeding, stuff like that.

Then it got popular, so they had to bowdlerize it a bit for the Family Hour Fairy.

The Starsky and Hutch movie was pretty funny because it poked fun at the original series. Maybe this movie will take the same approach ...

I almost barfed when I read this movie was based on the "classic" television show. While most of the original cast did some very classy work in both TV and movies, I can't imagine anybody considered DoH high art.

Well "classic" doesn't always mean good Rjel, classic is just...classic. I mean I saw a '80 Camero with Classic plates the other day, so the definition is wiiiide open. I consider Dukes of Hazzard a classic not because it was artistic but because everyone immediately knows what you're talking about when you mention it or something in it. To me that's a classic TV show, how many people remember the details of Major Dad? How many people immediately know who you mean when you say Rosco? See what I mean?

Hell my cousin's husband named their dog Rosco and no one asks who he's named for. My dogs on the other hand...always get people asking,"Why the hell is he named that?" :lol:

Well this is another example of how hollywood is out of ideas. With this summers release of 'Bewitched', 'The Honeymooners' and now 'Dukes of Hazzard', (I'm probably forgetting one) it shows how bad things have gotten, both in the quality of movies and who acts in them.

On the original tv show, the only really refined actor was Denver Pyle. The rest were all just nobodys. And Denver wasn't even giving top billing. Guess he didn't have the butt for it! ;)

On the original tv show, the only really refined actor was Denver Pyle. The rest were all just nobodys. And Denver wasn't even giving top billing. Guess he didn't have the butt for it!  ;)

No, no he didn't. That is, unless you have an eye for crotchety old men. :P

But seriously, James Best had some really good roles. One was a western called Ride Lonesome with Randolph Scott, Pernell Roberts of pre-Bonanza fame, Lee Van Cleef and James Coburn. He also had a good guest shot on Combat! and The Andy Griffith Show.

BTW, please don't tell me that Randolph Scott wasn't a big name actor. I'll never believe it. The man was too good. If you like westerns and haven't watched Scott before, Starz' The Westerns Channel features them on a pretty regular basis. Definately worth a look.

What next, a remake of "The Andy Griffith Show"?

If they did that they'd probably cast Matt Damon as Andy and Ben Affleck as Barney, but Barney would have a bullet, he'd have an MP-5 because...They Fight Crime!

:rolleyes:

And as much as I like Billy Bob Thornton...what the hell were they thinking with that casting decision? I mean the Bad News Bears and Billy Bob? Oooooookaaaaay...

What a load of bull! the TV series of DoH was full of innuendo and Daisy's attire did'nt leve a hell of a lot to the imagination. I'm not sure if I will go to see the film though as it seems like a cheap cash in with the main seller being how naked Jessica Simpson is (whic is a rather good selling point I admit) I think it would ruin the memory of the series for me.

If they did that they'd probably cast Matt Damon as Andy and Ben Affleck as Barney, but Barney would have a bullet, he'd have an MP-5 because...They Fight Crime!

:rolleyes:

And as much as I like Billy Bob Thornton...what the hell were they thinking with that casting decision? I mean the Bad News Bears and Billy Bob? Oooooookaaaaay...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats wrong with Matt Damon? :P:(:angry:<_<:ph43r::unsure:

Ben Affleck...no comment :lol:

Yeah you're right Geg, Damon actually has been doing some good stuff lately. And I liked him in Dogma...I actually liked Affleck in that movie too. But for a while they were almost like Corey Feldman and Corey Haim in the 80's, see a movie with one and you get both.

Affleck just annoys me, the real shame is that a lot of people say they liked him in Saving Private Ryan and thought he started really acting but then immediately quit after. I beat these people senseless because that was actually Ed Burns who is a good actor and not Ben Affleck. You'd be surprised at how many of my friends thought it was Affleck until I did the aforementioned beatings.

Paycheck actually was a decent enough movie, but honestly I think he's Become Ben Affleck like some stars do. There may be hope for him though, Tom Cruise went through that (need I mention Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut here? I thought not) phase but suddenly started doing things like the Last Samurai, which I contend is the first real acting he's done since Taps, and then did Collateral which was an amazing job on his part. So he's redeemed. Affleck followed Paycheck with Surviving Christmas...

But I do have to give you Matt Damon, lately he's been doing good work and actually does a good job at both comedy and action now.

The main reason for me suggesting them for Andy Griffith is that whole Hollywood "buddy trap" where they'd seem like a crowd draw to some exec out in La La Land. And out of the 2 you know Affleck would have to be Barney, c'mon... ;)

Yeah. They were in a lot of Kevin Smith movies together, and the like.

I thought Damon was pretty good in the two Bourne movies. Got Bourne Identity on DVD as a gift from Jennifer :) The third movie has been confirmed too...