COMBATSIM Forum

TFXplorer and Windows 10

Yes,thanks! It's just a case of formulating the question in a way that the Wine people can't argue against.

I'll deal with that so that you can provide the finishing touches to TFXplorer. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s too kind of you!

It’s pretty cumbersome to pack ZIPs and hand them around, so I just created a git repository for TFXplorer. It’s read-only and represents the “stable” branch, meaning as little as “it compiles and the EXE opens without crashing right away”.

But it means that you can always get the latest version, or browse old versions (I included ~300 revisions reaching back to 2011, but of course I can’t guarantee that any of them still compiles).

You’re a Linux guy, so you will know your way around git’s command line. If you want to use the repo from Visual Studio:

1. start VS
  2. on the right of the start screen, choose “Clone a repository”
  3. repository location: http://krishty.com/taw/tfxplorer.git
  4. click Clone
  5. it should open TFX/TFX.sln automatically
  6. hit F5 to build and run a debug version
    (for some reason it doesn’t find the HUD texture; I’m on it)

It breaks my heart to see how little progress I made since 2016 … the last commits were entirey GUI-focused, and it will be like that for a while as I’m currently using TFXplorer’s GUI for a commercial project of mine. I have a huge changeset regarding HID/keyboard mapping via GUI and I hope it can land in the upcomings months so that we can finally work towards a new release …

On 4/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, Krycztij said:

That’s too kind of you!

A bit short of time, so I still haven't got around to writing the Wine bug report.
Despite being able to paste in your information which identifies the problem and suggests how to fix it, I'm not sure that will guarantee that they will act on it.
Is there a performance gain in using the 'dialog window' over other types of window?

There are more involved issues involving the keyboard and joystick with TFXplorer and Wine, so I want to work out the best way to deal with them...

You’re a Linux guy

Only for the last few years. Everything MS do seems to annoy me these days, so would like to diversify as much as possible.
On Linux, I've done a 'git clone' on your repo and can receive it OK. I haven't tried from within VS yet.
By the way, it was indeed VS that needed updating on that native Win10 PC and TFXplorer builds fine now. The only update it was nagging me about was something called 'web share' but apparently the updater itself needed updating so I was not informed of anything actually useful.

...I’m currently using TFXplorer’s GUI for a commercial project of mine

That's intriguing! A secret commercial project for a client, or something that enriches humanity that anyone can buy?

3 hours ago, mikew said:

Is there a performance gain in using the 'dialog window' over other types of window?

It was the preferred way of creating windows for several years because

1. you have a graphical editor and a preview – no way to do this for CreateWindow() calls
  2. you can pass these dialog resources to your localization department to translate them along with the other localized resources.
    Most native windows in Windows ’95–7 were designed and localized that way – e.g the File Properties dialog and various Control Panel windows – but they don’t have problems because they are fixed-size dialogs or don’t rely on 0x80000000 to compute the dimensions for them.

3 hours ago, mikew said:

so I want to work out the best way to deal with them...

I was never involved with Wine, but I hope “this worked for ages in Windows but doesn’t in Wine, and here’s two applications that display wrong because of it” is understood :)

3 hours ago, mikew said:

Only for the last few years. Everything MS do seems to annoy me these days

Same here. Amen.

Glad you got it compiling!

3 hours ago, mikew said:

A secret commercial project for a client, or something that enriches humanity that anyone can buy?

Hard to say at this point. I try to obtain rights to intellectual property of my old company, which filed bancruptcy. If I get them, anyone will be able to buy. If not, I will at least be able to sell the product to the new rightsholder. Or maybe if I work harder and program more, I will not need the rights at all … we’ll see.