COMBATSIM Forum

Chill out music

Never had a problem installing Windows 10 on any machine. It is the easiest version of Windows to not only clean install, but to repair without loosing data. Just go HERE to download the Windows 10 installation media tool. I use a bootable thumb drive, or you can download the ISO file to burn to a CD/DVD. I always install the 64 bit version, but you can install the 32 bit version if you prefer it.

Thanks! Unfortunately, the 'Windows installation media tool' needs an existing Windows system to run on, so there's a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

I downloaded and 'burnt' a Win10 .iso on to a USB stick using Linux, but was missing some vital driver that stopped the installation process.

Anyway, I got there in the end with my 2018 vintage Win10 USB installation stick. At least I could then download the required drivers on the Linux PC to get it working with 2019 hardware.

It look a long time to get it from 1803 to 1903 level though, but it's done now with all exclamation marks in 'Device Manager' cleared. Phew!

So sorry that you had a bad experience with installation of Windows 10. 

In the end, all that matters is that Windows 10 has been successfully installed on another computer. 

Your cooperation is appreciated as resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated. - Microsoft.

hdwaNbR.png?1

4 hours ago, mikew said:

Thanks! Unfortunately, the 'Windows installation media tool' needs an existing Windows system to run on, so there's a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

I downloaded and 'burnt' a Win10 .iso on to a USB stick using Linux, but was missing some vital driver that stopped the installation process.

Anyway, I got there in the end with my 2018 vintage Win10 USB installation stick. At least I could then download the required drivers on the Linux PC to get it working with 2019 hardware.

It look a long time to get it from 1803 to 1903 level though, but it's done now with all exclamation marks in 'Device Manager' cleared. Phew!

Well done mike. :thumbsup: I imagine working with a Linux PC to get the necessary software and get it set to use would be a bit of a challenge. 

7 hours ago, Donster said:

I imagine working with a Linux PC to get the necessary software and get it set to use would be a bit of a challenge. 

Not really. Linux is very good these days. Better than Windows in many ways and a bit of a hedge against Microsoft going to a subscription model...or making Cortana the only way of interacting with it. :)

10 hours ago, mikew said:

Not really. Linux is very good these days. Better than Windows in many ways and a bit of a hedge against Microsoft going to a subscription model...or making Cortana the only way of interacting with it. :)

At least...so far...you can choose to shut Cortana off.