COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jel

Available installations of EAW from the Code-Group

To start with there is a link below to another forum page with installation downloads of earlier versions .
You can use the links on it to install different working versions of EAW from 1.26e to 1.29:
Right click on the link and open it in a new tab 🙂

Earlier full installations of EAW

The files that you download are 7-zip self-installers which create stand-alone versions of EAW.
No previous installations of EAW are needed.
Some have file-managers that may need the installation of runtime files- contact me if you need help.

*******************************************************************************************************

UAW160 is the latest version of EAW. UAW is for Universal Air Wars because many of the theatres are not European.

To start with there is a trial version to see if UAW160 will run on your PC:
The UAW160 trial version (Part 1):

160InstallationPart1

The file you download is named "UAW160.exe" and it is a 7-zip self installer.
When you run it it creates a "UAW160" folder, which has the minimum files and folders for a working installation test.

Make sure that your joystick is plugged in before you run the eaw.exe

When you run the "eaw.exe" (but with your own "eaw.ini" file if you have one from another installation) it should give you the UAW default ETO theatre and aircraft.

This will be a test to see if UAW160 works with your operating system
************************************************************************************

If you have any questions just post in this thread  😀

Part 2 is here:
 160InstallationPart2

The file you download is named "UAW160Part2.exe" and it is another 7-zip self-installer
Put it in the  "UAW160" folder when you know that your Part1 installation is working, and run it there.
You will then have a complete installation with many theatres and planesets 🙂

Added to this thread from another one for users' reference 🙂
Some time ago I received a PM from Shogun about the Mission Editor generating this error message when he tried to run it:

Run-time error 713 Class not registered. MSSTDFMT.DLL

I hit this problem a few weeks ago when I was away in Lyon and I tried to run the Mission Editor on my new laptop.
When I got back I made a VisualBasic installer program for the mission editor, which correctly installs the " MSSTDFMT.DLL" file during the installation process.

"MissionEdPackage.exe" is available here:
 Mission Editor Runtimes

If you get that error then download it, and run it on your desktop.
This will create a folder named "MedPackage" and in this folder there is a "Setup.exe" file.
h91xho53qjhhog3zg.jpg

Run the "Setup.exe", let it install the mission editor anywhere (as the reason for running it is to install the missing file), but do not let it overwrite newer versions of files with older ones.

Re-boot and the Mission Editor should now work.

😀 Jel

There is a new installation here, for both general use and multiplayer

UAW160 2020

As usual it is a 7-zip self installer. It will create a "UAW160 Multiplayer 2020" stand-alone folder.

t2rxq4onxto32vkzg.jpg

There are 70 planesets to select from 🙂

I've only just installed 160InstallationPart1. What's the difference?

I think I left some feedback about Part1 on SimHQ for installations on Linux and Win7, but this is the first time I've tried it on Win10.

Anyway, the Win10 installation is probably the most successful as I don't see the garbled screen that I did for the others.

There are still multiple problems although getting Glide up and running should fix the worst anomalies in the 3D world.

While the screens in the 'Career' section are no longer garbled,  I have to move the mouse around to see where the hot spots are.

The maps also don't seem to show anything other that the overall theatre.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

While the screens in the 'Career' section are no longer garbled,  I have to move the mouse around to see where the hot spots are.

The maps also don't seem to show anything other that the overall theatre.

Right clicking usually shows the hotspots in career and hangar screens.

What did you expect the maps to show? The "old map" exes display the "Europe1.pic" but the "new map" exes display the "TargMap.pic".

Most versions of the latter have been created from the tilemap files using  a utility. They are basic, but accurate. However, the one made for IRAQ is brilliant 😀

3 hours ago, mikew said:

I've only just installed 160InstallationPart1. What's the difference

Part1 is just a test installation to see if you can run UAW160. Adding part 2 gives a full installation, with several version of the exe, several planesets and several theatres.

It was started almost two years ago, and in the original installation thread at SHQ there are several patches fixes additions and updates.

The "UAW160 2020" is a complete installation with in the order of 70 different planesets, a dozen theatres and a choice of several exes. The screenie of the filemanager gives you an idea of what you get. I have attempted to include the latest versions of everything, and hopefully the only things that I will be posting from now on will be additional theatres, planes and planesets.

2 hours ago, Jel said:

What did you expect the maps to show?

Some airbases/targets etc? I'm just seeing the background maps. It may be that the career needs to get going though. It's been a while since I played EAW.

I've got your EAW 2020 running now. The extraction process took over 6 minutes, but that's probably because Win10 is an absolute turd when handling lots of small files. That's not EAW's problem though. :)

If I select the Finnish plane set, and Finland vs Russia theatre then I see mostly Finnish related stuff but if I select 'Pilot Career', I only see the original EAW options for the 3 different time periods and the original map. Is it supposed to be like that...or should I select a different exe? I left that as the same exe as in your picture above.

The 'Map Detail' does show Finland but without any targets/route on it as far as I can see.

There's probably some instructions somewhere that I should be reading. :D

If a theatre was released with a career set-up then special career map files are used. To display them you need to use an "Old Map" version of the exe.

Try a career with the default ETO theatre.

As 150 and 160 have separated planesets from theatres then a number of combinations are not career friendly. We were expecting career flyers to use earlier versions of EAW. I will look tomorrow to find ones that genuinely work 😉

Edit:

1.28c was the last exe to use 640x480 screens. We switched to 1024x768. This means that a number of old theatres have career screens that are incompatible with 1.28d and later. However, very few have been updated to 1024x768, and the menu files are also dodgy 🙁

OK!

Just now, me and my comrades are flying into Karelia to kick some Finnish butt. Not quite sure how I managed to select the Soviet side...

I can't remember the keyboard layout, but managed to get into the air by turning on the autopilot. Things pretty quiet so far...

EDIT: Spoke too soon...either shot down or lost control, not sure which. :(

18 hours ago, Jel said:

As 150 and 160 have separated planesets from theatres then a number of combinations are not career friendly. We were expecting career flyers to use earlier versions of EAW. I will look tomorrow to find ones that genuinely work 😉

No need to put too much effort into it for my benefit.

For me, it would be great to recreate the 1998 experience of the original game but on modern hardware and OS.

You seem to have gone a long way in achieving that. :thumbsup:

If you've expanded the game with new planes and theatres, then that's a bonus, but to maintain engagement they would need an associated career/campaign.

That's just my opinion of course... :)

If we go back to theatres that were released with a genuine career structure then we have the default ETO, The original South Pacific Air War, and the Spanish Air War.

The original Finnish Air War had a very complex career structure too, in a stand-alone installatiion covering three different wars with continually moving front-lines.

I never flew a career in Desert Air War, but I know for certain that the DAW installation itself was dodgy. Some Allied planes were set as Axis.

What I have been doing is adapting theatres so that they can be used in UAW160.

Many theatres that were available from SandBagger's were complete botches. They used the default ETO target map and tilemaps, with different tiles, and with different target names and they were not worth using for UAW160.

We made a later version of the Mediterranean theatre, with additional targets including raised deck carriers, but as soon as you add more targets to any theatre many of the target and airbase references in the career files are no longer accurate.

When some of the current beta versions (such as IRAQ and Dunkirk) they may well have valid career structures.

I have had no trouble flying UAW160 career missions in ETO, SPAW, and SAW, using a planeset as close to the original as possible.

So, the 'Part1' file I downloaded first should give me the standard ETO careers? and is feature equivalent of the original game?

I just tried it, but the supplied exe was a new map version so the map screen was not good.

I replaced the exe with an old map version and it ran with the correct career maps ;)

Screenies from the test.

TSCRN01.png

SCRN02.png

SCRN03.png

SCRN04.png

SCRN05.png

SCRN06.png

SCRN07.png

SCRN08.png

The reason for the "terrible" rating is that as it was a test I aborted the mission before the bombers reached their target ;)

OK, next time I'll use an 'old map' exe from the 2020 download.

The next thing I need to do is get a Glide wrapper working. I've only tried dgVoodoo2 so far, but without much success with the settings. Maybe I'll have another look at it over the weekend.

The DirectX default graphics are pretty good, except for the middle distance where there is some mipmapping problem by the look of it.

From this angle, the terrain between the plane wings and the sea in the distance is a shimmering mess, which you don't really see from a still picture.

IMG_20200109_224953247.jpg.d4c463e1953a5d5452a472d078601431.jpg

I do not need a glide wrapper on my desktop PC, but I use nGlide on my laptop to get horizon fog

An 'old map' gets me a theatre populated with targets. :thumbsup:

nGlide seems to work great. Thanks!

Apart from the horizon fog, the wrapper allows the rendered polygons to be mapped to the screen resolution rather than 'rendered then stretched'.

IMHO this provides a more pleasing result, although the non-integer scaling factor tends to provide its own artefacts.

I still need to find out why I'm losing the bottom 100 or so screen pixels in the 3D world, but hopefully I'll find the right nGlide setting.

Anyway, while the middle distance can look a bit confused if high-def terrain is being rendered, it generally looks wonderful for a 1998 game. :beer:

Well, that's my 10 minutes of EAW time up for today. The next problem to solve will be to find out why I get such undefined behaviour when I haven't got a joystick connected...

Wow!  I have not seen images of EAW in a very long time.  I really liked EAW back in the days of Windows 95 and 98, but I went to the IL2:Sturmovik series with Windows XP.  It's nice to see that there is still interest in EAW.  I must say that EAW had the best offline dynamic campaigns of any WW II flight simulator that I have ever tried.

12 minutes ago, Stans said:

I must say that EAW had the best offline dynamic campaigns of any WW II flight simulator that I have ever tried.

That was my recollection as well, and is why I'm giving it another go now.

I have to admit that I didn't play it much back in the day, as F-22 TAW and Falcon 4.0 came out at about the same time.

Plus 1998 was awash with games like Caesar III, Grim Fandango and Half-Life which I spent too much time on.

54 minutes ago, mikew said:

That was my recollection as well, and is why I'm giving it another go now.

I have to admit that I didn't play it much back in the day, as F-22 TAW and Falcon 4.0 came out at about the same time.

Plus 1998 was awash with games like Caesar III, Grim Fandango and Half-Life which I spent too much time on.

Don't forgot about Leisure Suite Larry. :lol:  I never played it myself, but I had friends who thought it was a great game for the PC.

Hello to everybody! I am and"old dog" used to paly fanatically flight sims.

Now I am giving a try again to EAW. I used to play stock 1.2.

Lately, I installed the codegroup 1.28E.(1024*768) in Windows 10.

Everything seems fine in single missions and campaigns.

I noticed only one odd thing. Even with realistic gunnery off I am having a hard time to shoot even a Ju88 bomber. I must be at 300 400 ft and the bullets hardly makes damage to them.

Many near misses I suppose. I must be terrribly close.

I compare to the stock 1.2. My question is: Has something to do with Codegroup version?

Keep trying :)

In the code-group series one of the early additions to 1.2 was gun convergence, and because of it a number of hit bubbles were modified.

We tend to aim specifically at engines.

What is  gun convergence? engish is not my native language...Can I change it in eaw.ini?

I think i can..