COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petsman

EAW 128e Codegroup shooting difficulty

Hello to everybody!

I am and"old dog" used to play fanatically flight sims.

Now I am giving a try again to EAW. I used to play stock 1.2.

Lately, I installed the codegroup 1.28E.(1024*768) in Windows 10.

Everything seems fine in single missions and campaigns.

I noticed only one odd thing. Even with realistic gunnery off I am having a hard time to shoot down even a Ju-88 bomber. I must be at 300 400 ft close and the bullets hardly makes damage to them.

Many near misses I suppose. I must be terribly close.

I compare to the stock 1.2.

My question is: Has something to do with Codegroup version?

P.S. I am using t flight  stick X (Thrusmaster) with fm 0.9 and deadzone 4

Any better suggestions cause I have dificulty lining for the shot

I answered your other post just now, but I will add here that using Win 10 makes a difference to me.

I have a system with various EAW installations on an internal drive, and a slot into which I plug a HDD which has the operating system on it.

To play EAW I prefer to use Win 7 because when I use Win 10 the frame rate is much lower than in Win 10.

I have more difficulty lining up in Win 10 than I do in Win 7, so It may be a frame rate issue 🙁

Thank you. It may be both Win 10 framerate and codegroup mod. Is there a key comb to test the frame rate?

Any suggestions for FM sens and deadzone?

Frame rate is 30 to 35 fps. no problem with that i think. 

I think i have to nake adjustment to joystick deadzone and FM sens.. plus Gun convergence settings in eaw.ini but i dont know the values 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:53 PM, Jel said:

Framerate shows with Ctrl-G

Thanks! Showing pretty constant 60fps on Win10, even when flying over London with a lot of planes in the air.

What's the worst case scenario fps-wise?

I must be at 300 400 ft close and the bullets hardly makes damage to them.

Yes there is total diffs to 1.2.

1.2 is like a game arcade the gun spead is like a shotgun and the hit-bubbles for planes are huge.

EAW past that with Knegel's EAWrp2.6 and later flight / gun / damage model are totally different and yes its harder to hit but still should be fairly easy to bag a ju88 if you get that close providing your convergence is set.

Either you are too shaky - lower joystick sensitivity to the far left in game> config

Set your gun convergence in eaw.ini

Use cannon not MG whenever you are gets smoke puff hits from the mg. to get a kill shot or flame the engine.

https://eaw.neocities.org/

https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-codegroup-known-bugs-feature-ideas.html[/url]]

Targeting, Hitting and Collision: (Started with v1.28)
There is an issue with actually hitting another planes wings, fuselage, or the pilot etc...with bullets now. The only location on a plane to hit, seems to be the engines of the enemy planes. Also collision seems impossible when passing through another plane. This is brought up a lot when new pilots play the un-official Code-Groups v1.28 and up, including the newer UAW versions of 1.6x. This is primary a concern that comes from players of the stock EAW game where hitting the plane at different locations is possible.

The actual problem seems to be that the hit bubbles of the planes hit locations have been incorrectly reduced or possibly removed, except for what appears to be hit bubbles for the engines. They apparently never fixed this , or know how to??. The hit bubbles where manipulated like this to accommodate the newer gun convergence that was added just before. It defaults so bullets from your guns cross at to about 300meters in front of the plane, however this distance can be adjusted in the eaw.ini file if you want. The convergence made it so easy to take down a plane using stock hit bubbles a plane I take it, that those bubbles where changed by the CodeGroup programmer back then in the year 2008 or so.

https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-ini.html[/url]]

OldDamage=0 - (for version 1.28 and above) 1 enables a hardcoded EAW1.2 compatible bullet damage/gun power calculation and stock default v1.2 engine overheat system management, which suits many of the older flight models better. Also it will use a generic guns convergence setting. This is good for backward compatibility for old campaigns etc. (Note: This may have been removed first in version 1.30 or 1.40.)

Guns Convergence Z=0 -
(for version 1.28b and above) This adjustable figure is in yards. The z axe adjust the vertical (up/down) calibration. The more positive the number the higher the aim point. The more negative, the lower the aim point.
  Guns Convergence Y=0 -
(for version 1.28b and above) This adjustable figure is in yards. The y axe adjust the (side to side) horizontal convergence. The more positive the number the closer the convergence. The more negative, the farther away the convergence.

In EAW1.2 the guns shoot strait forward with no possibility too adjust any convergences as it's not implemented in the game. This takes away much of the firepower of planes with wing mounted guns. However v1.28 has this built in and was adjusted by the designers by an external file per plane and set to historical accurate distances used by the USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe. Using the Z and Y Convergence ini settings you can now adjust your own distance. For an example: If you adjust the y-axes to around 200 yard, you probably also need to adjust the z-axes a little upward, otherwise the bullets will pass the target below the target.

All planes have a historical correct convergence setting by default, but they are not the same in all planes (depending to the guns and normal mission type the default convergence distance do vary a lot.) When the Gun Convergence values = 0, the newly set historical range defaults per plane are used; this means the bullet streams meet up in a point of convergence, at a historically accurate distance. Wing mounted gun bullet streams have a X shape, not a Y, so it is real-life convergence. At long range wing mounted guns have a shotgun effect because they spread out more (right guns towards the left and left guns towards the right), but of course it is much better to get your target closer to the convergence range, for effectiveness. Convergence is only effective at or near convergence range. If your too far from the convergence range for wing mounted guns, then you'll have to put your sight on an enemies wingtip to hit the fuselage and you will be hitting with only one wing's worth of guns.

Typically real WWII pilots shot at 500m with weapons being aimed at 250-300m. When shooting at bombers, pilots would shoot within 500-800m.  At or over 500m you need to raise your gun to compensate for bullet drop. Just some facts: 20mm have a useful range of more than 2km! and Air to ground, a heavy MG is still effective at 1.5km. (In stock EAW1.2 and especially with ECA its pretty easy to hit and to kill on up to 1.5km distance (2,000 or 2,500 even 3,000 feet are possible) at all times).

Notes:
The default convergence has changed a bit here and there during development of the planes. Here are a few notes that are a bit jumbled.
>Gun Convergence is adjusted to 300-350 yard for big MG´s and cannons, while the small MG´s are adjusted to 200-250 yard. We have made the lighter guns (7.7mm and 7.9mm bullets) have their historically shorter convergence range, about 250yards.
>Currently the small MG´s(Spit1a/Hurri/SpitIXc) are adjusted to around 500 feet, the big MG´s and cannons are at around 1000 feet. The MGFF of the 109E are adjusted to around 600 feet.
>Gun Convergence for Spit1a and Hurri1a are around 600 feet, The big MG´s and cannons are most at around 1000 Feet. The 109E is a bit closer and the 190A(inner wing) are a bit longer.
>Convergence default is set to about 600ft for 1940 planes and to about 1000ft for 1943-45 planes.

Depending to the mission type its useful to adjust the convergence up or down:
From testing out values, adjusting Y and Z from +10 thru -10; Y at -5 and Z at -3 is seems to be more accurate from farther away. But it needs to get adjusted for your current plane and liking.
-Try the default convergence with Sweep missions.
-Try a Short distance convergence while Intercepting planes with tail gunners that have a rather bad defense (small guns). You should be-able to do most damage with one ammoload.
-Try Long Range convergence versus a 4 Mots (many heavy guns). This will allow you to shoot from farther away.
-Cannons in general cause good damage on long range and the German planes have many guns often rather close to the fuselage, so a long range convergence is ok.
-Also the Typhoon, tempest and P47D need a long distance convergence(500-700 yards), when making an interdiction.

Also note that guns rate of fire is now modeled at their historical rates, faster than stock EAW. (Stock EAW has always modeled each bullet, even when they fired straight ahead like in v1.2, but the ROF was about half of real-life.)

============================

On 4/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, FsFOOT said:

https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-codegroup-known-bugs-feature-ideas.html[/url]]

Targeting, Hitting and Collision: (Started with v1.28)
There is an issue with actually hitting another planes wings, fuselage, or the pilot etc...with bullets now. The only location on a plane to hit, seems to be the engines of the enemy planes. Also collision seems impossible when passing through another plane. This is brought up a lot when new pilots play the un-official Code-Groups v1.28 and up, including the newer UAW versions of 1.6x. This is primary a concern that comes from players of the stock EAW game where hitting the plane at different locations is possible.

The actual problem seems to be that the hit bubbles of the planes hit locations have been incorrectly reduced or possibly removed, except for what appears to be hit bubbles for the engines. They apparently never fixed this , or know how to??. The hit bubbles where manipulated like this to accommodate the newer gun convergence that was added just before. It defaults so bullets from your guns cross at to about 300meters in front of the plane, however this distance can be adjusted in the eaw.ini file if you want. The convergence made it so easy to take down a plane using stock hit bubbles a plane I take it, that those bubbles where changed by the CodeGroup programmer back then in the year 2008 or so.

FSFOOT, THIS IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM ..... ....Any solution??????