Over There

Schatten

Any of y'all catch this tonight?

I watched it and taped it, and am going to watch it again to try to absorb everything I saw. It was most definately intense that's for sure.

I won't spoil how it ended, but my mouth hit the floor pretty hard. FX surely put their cajones on the block on this one.

Is this the tv drama based around a army unit in the war at Iraq?

I remember seeing something about it thinking I gotta see it. Hope I can find it on the ole tube.

That's the one.

It's not your typical TV show that's for sure, pretty much they went full bore Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers for the combat scenes which both impressed me at their spunk and also made me wonder how many people could actually sit and watch it every week. Military film buffs yeah, my main complaint on the combat parts was they didn't have nearly enough seperation between men when they were advancing, but hey TV screens are small and you want to get them all in there; but for your average TV viewer just checking it out it may be too intense graphically (and linguistically, the only swear word I didn't hear dropped with the F-bomb, and I thought I may have heard it but a tank rolling past dopplered the sound just enough to make you wonder) for them to stick with week to week. Pretty stuff gutsy for a non-pay channel to try to pull off.

OK this sounds right up my alley. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers have got to be two of my favorite movies.

If it is comparible to them then I have to se it. Up here in the "Great White North" I probably won't get too much of a chance to see it. I'll have to keep a eye open. :thumbsup:

If you liked SPR and Band of Brothers you'll probably like it.

I can guarantee that it's the first time ever a M-203 40mm HEDP round hitting someone has ever been shown on a TV series...that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about as far as the graphical level goes.

It's on FX so I don't know if you can get that in Canada or not, your cable/satellite laws confuse the hell out of me, but if you get FX you can get it.

Its on FX. Dam!

I can't get FX in my area. Well I can but I have to do some "tinkering" with my sattelite dish first.

Might just have to wait and see if it gets picked up by some other channel for Canadian viewing.

Graphics and content sound great to me.

well since we dont get FX here and I was curious to see what this was about I went to FX network site and read up on it .. ok looks good nice synopsis .. couple of questions though

1. is this OIF 1 or 2 since i see the 3rd ID patch.. it definitely isnt 3 since 3rd just got back in country for OIF4 and hasnt fully started ops

2. what kind of unit is it? I mean theres chicks in the squad! cant be a line unit must be MP, or our favorite taxi passengers CA teams.

Schatt bro ...

my main complaint on the combat parts was they didn't have nearly enough seperation between men when they were advancing

current tactics focus on the 4 man stack for entry and CQC ... and for utilization of Command and Control the seperation is a little tighter than before... especially for fireteams .. Wedges arent used as much now due to METT-T limitations .. fast moving stacks or lines for concentrated forward fire.

looks like its a nice show .. hope it comes out on DVD so when I get home I can watch it

Heya Cfran, I was thinking about you when I was watching it. Especially when one of them says "Hey that kid just put something on the side of the road!" when they were riding in convoy. That and "The orders followed the rules of engagement, but they broke the rules of common sense." I got a chuckle out of that, I didn't notice if they were wearing their seatbelts in the Humvee though... ;)

Think it's 2, the Sergeant was saying that he'd been in Iraq for a year and then got a 90 day extension because the Sgt. that these newbies went through training with got tonsilitis so they held him over. He isn't too pleased about it either lemme tell ya. All of the guys in the squad were activated right at the start of the show, it showed them leaving home and all of that and the war'd been going on for a while. There's a mention of Abu Gahrib so that'd mean probably sometime last year? Unless they're "going ahead" a little and doing it as if the 3rd was already on the line.

The women were the motor transport drivers that were bringing the guys up to their new assignment, they got ambushed, and that turned into the firefight that took up most of the episode. So they aren't in the squad but were with them for most of the time in this one. Looks like they'll be back next week too but it looks like next week will be a convoy type deal too.

As for the seperation thing...man they were like 3 feet from each other. Advancing in line I get, but that close seems a little crazy. Then again some of the orders they got were very crazy so maybe they just have an insane Platoon Leader...actually I'm fairly sure they do, they call him Mad Cow. Like the disease that eats your brain. :unsure:

I taped it and I'll keep taping it as long as it's on, once I get 6 episodes on a tape I'll dupe it and send it over to you if you're still there, not sure how many there'll be in total or how long it'll take to kick them all out, you know how networks are. If I could figure out how to hook my VCR up to my computer I'd burn ya a DVD, but I think my VCR is too old for that sorta stuff. Keep your head down man...and your feet up, those were some disgusting boots you showed us Bro. :lol:

Sure no problem Staggers. :D

Don't think I need anything really, I have a whole box of blank tapes and all that. Like I said to Cfran I'll just wait until they have 6 of them shown so I can fill a tape and then I'll send it on over.

Actually I'm watching it again and catching things I missed when I was collecting flies. Some pretty subtle stuff in there when you aren't going,"Holy crap, did I just see that?"

It's pretty evenhanded really, that was something I was a tad concerned about, if they can keep the quality standards up and not go "preachy" in either direction, as a lot of TV shows based on wars often do then this could be a contender for best war TV show ever right up there with Band of Brothers and Tour of Duty (I loved that show when it was on TV, too bad the current DVD release got the period rock soundtrack all cut out of it) and dare I say Combat! That British series Red Cap was pretty damn good from what I've seen of it as well. But time will tell, the first episode gets an unqualified thumbs up after a second viewing.

:thumbsup:

Missed it too, will have to see the rerun.

I was a big Red Cap fan, Schatt. Um, and a big Tamzin Outhwaite fan. :rolleyes:

Too bad they cancelled it. From what I understand, the BBC thought it was too expensive. Shame, because the character development was getting interesting.

Hey CFran, what are "METT-T limitations"? And hang in there, bro!

Missed it too, will have to see the rerun.

I was a big Red Cap fan, Schatt.  Um, and a big Tamzin Outhwaite fan.    :rolleyes:

100457446tn.jpg

Yup, nothing wrong with her a'tal. :thumbsup:

Hey CFran, what are "METT-T limitations"?  And hang in there, bro!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reference: FM 100-5

Mission. Commanders pass to their subordinates a clear concise statement of what is to be done and for what purpose. Whenever possible commanders assign subordinates an objective and a zone with few restrictive measures. A time is specified to coordinate actions of various subordinate units.

Enemy. Commanders consider the enemy's dispositions, equipment, doctrine, capabilities and probable courses of action. They aggressively seek enemy weaknesses. Requires a constant active and predictive intelligence effort oriented on critical units and areas.

Terrain and Weather. Commanders exploit terrain to provide maneuver opportunities and cover and concealment. Key terrain directly impacts the success or failure of an operation, providing a significant advantage to the force controlling it. Weather and visibility conditions can provide concealment from enemy forces and opportunities for friendly forces.

Troops Available. The number and type of friendly troops available affect the tactical plan. Choosing which units for which types of actions is vital to success and is influenced by the status of the units' training and the experience of their leaders. Units are employed according to their capabilities and perform the functions of the battlefield operating systems.

Time. Timing is critical to the synchronization of the battlefield operating systems. Rapid execution is key to conducting operations that keep the enemy off balance, acting inside his decision cycle.

See it being the Army they have to go and acronym a simple concept to hell and back. ;)