COMBATSIM Forum

Morning y'all, overcast skies, 45F, and 76% humidity.  Expecting a cloudy morning and a partly cloudy afternoon with a high of 67F.  Going to the office this morning to shutter it until March 30, perhaps longer if so ordered by the state or federal government. 

Morning all. 26F under clear skies. Mostly sunny. Winds out of the NW at 5-15 MPH. High of 48F. Well that bites the big one Stans. Closing due to State order or to protect your employees and yourself from possible contamination?

7 hours ago, mikew said:

Is shutting down until 30 March your own initiative, or was that ordered by the government?

About 36F and cloudy.

5 hours ago, Donster said:

Morning all. 26F under clear skies. Mostly sunny. Winds out of the NW at 5-15 MPH. High of 48F. Well that bites the big one Stans. Closing due to State order or to protect your employees and yourself from possible contamination?

In my part of Virginia, we have exactly 2 confirmed cases, so for the localities in Virginia that have been affected, we are at the bottom of the spectrum.  After studying the recommendations given by President Trump yesterday and some clarifications, recommendations by the CDC, recommendations by the ADA, and recommendations by the Virginia Department of Health, I decided that my office will run a very limited schedule so as to treat emergencies in a timely manner and to treat patients who really need to be treated.  I am limiting hours of operation to 0800 to 1200 and no elective procedures.  This is in keeping with the recommendations and is what a good number, but not all, dental and non-physician healthcare offices are doing. 

It's weird being home in the middle of the day, but at least I get to work for a part of the day.  My staff was also not real keen on being home for 2 weeks, seems they enjoy working.

Interesting to hear about what's happening elsewhere.

Yep, being stuck at home sucks. We're encouraged to work from home, but that lasted one day before I made sure it was necessary to be back on site.

4 hours ago, mikew said:

Interesting to hear about what's happening elsewhere.

Yep, being stuck at home sucks. We're encouraged to work from home, but that lasted one day before I made sure it was necessary to be back on site.

Kind of hard for me to work from home.

being computer field service I have to be out and about. Not happy about it, but short of total shutdown out I go. I was the the designated skeleton in the office this week till Friday, then it is someone else's turn. all bars restaurants are technically closed except those that can do food take out. Big stores open,  the smaller ones if they can do online business are hanging in there. being over 60 I get to shop early in the grocery stores and avoid you young whipper snappers buying all the toilet paper!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, cobraj said:

being computer field service I have to be out and about. Not happy about it, but short of total shutdown out I go. I was the the designated skeleton in the office this week till Friday, then it is someone else's turn. all bars restaurants are technically closed except those that can do food take out. Big stores open,  the smaller ones if they can do online business are hanging in there. being over 60 I get to shop early in the grocery stores and avoid you young whipper snappers buying all the toilet paper!

Retail stores here are doing the same.  I'm hoping that this self-isolation and distancing will slow the spread, but on the news I see tons of college kids on the beaches of Florida and Texas.  Yeah, they are really concerned about limiting the spread.

27 minutes ago, Stans said:

Retail stores here are doing the same.  I'm hoping that this self-isolation and distancing will slow the spread, but on the news I see tons of college kids on the beaches of Florida and Texas.  Yeah, they are really concerned about limiting the spread.

Damn kids are just spreading the virus. The local authorities need to shut down those beaches and bars. 

All the cities along the Gulf Coast DID shut down their beaches, except for the morons in Panama City.  My sister-in-law lives there.  The idiots probably figured to cash in with all the other beaches closed.  What they got was near-riots and had to call out the cops to handle the situation.  THEN they closed the beach.  But not before all those student imbeciles may have exposed themselves and the police officers to CV.  A real win-win deal.

Figure on it.  People are going to be stupid and others will pay for it. 

We do have much going for us, though.  Imagine how this would play out if we still had to do face-to-face banking and couldn't pay most of our bills electronically.  Heck, in most major cities you can order your groceries online and have them delivered.  My daughter in Denver does just that.  She has a compromised immune system and doesn't dare go out.  She sanitizes any groceries or other stuff they have delivered.

We live in interesting times.

OG (still here in Montana)

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

We do have much going for us, though.  Imagine how this would play out if we still had to do face-to-face banking and couldn't pay most of our bills electronically.  Heck, in most major cities you can order your groceries online and have them delivered.  My daughter in Denver does just that.  She has a compromised immune system and doesn't dare go out.  She sanitizes any groceries or other stuff they have delivered.

We live in interesting times.

Yes, Jim, we do live in interesting times.  I do hope your daughter stays healthy.  I have seen and heard people refer to Covid-19 as "just the common cold", but it is not.  It is as easy to spread as the common cold, but the effects of the infection are more serious than any common cold.