Hey Schatt, About Firefly

Joker

Love this show, Schatt. Watched three disks now, only one more to go and I know I'll miss it when I'm finished. Glad the movie is coming.

Once again, Firefly proves that great scifi is about great writing. If you care about the characters, you don't care what time period they inhabit. Sharp dialogue, consistent characterization, unpredictable (but not unbelievable) plots. And humor -- this show is laugh-out-loud funny!

For me, Firefly is up there with BSGII, DS9, and Space: Above and Beyond.

"I'm lost, I'm angry, and I'm armed." Words to live by!

:thumbsup:

Hehe, I figured you'd like it Lee, you have that sort of twisted mind that appriciates dark, ironical humor in things like Sci-Fi that aren't typically full of dark, ironical humor.

I still laugh everytime I hear "special hell" because all I can think of is Ron Glass' face as he's saying it that last time and then swoooosh he's gone. That's just when one of my friends says it...when I see it I completely crack up.

Firefly is one of the most quotable shows ever, I mean I could go on for pages of nothing but good quotes...but I wont. Some of the stuff they say in Mandarin is hillerious too, I mean even if you don't know what they're saying exactly you usually can figure out what the "drift" is, but when you see the actual transcripts it's even funnier.

If you're interested...

Firefly Transcripts (With Mandarin Included)

You're right, it all comes down to the writing. And you're also right about it being amazing, to me it's the best Sci-Fi ever put on TV along with the new Battlestar and Space:Above and Beyond.

I could go on, but I won't. Trust me, any of you guys that likes smart, witty, funny and sometimes very dark and scary Sci-Fi should check out Firefly. :thumbsup:

"Are we going to sing Army songs?"

;)

Heh, "special hell."

Yeah, there's a quip in just about every scene that makes me guffaw.

And it takes a lot to make me guffaw!

As for BSGII, man, things are about to get very ugly in the fleet. When Baltar did that thing he did in the last episode, I was pretty shocked. Then the Chief covered up for him. And now we've got martial law. Intense.

A friend of mine says that Laura Roslin is sorta like having Barbara Boxer for president ... :D

The movie rocks. A lot.

Definately go see it when it comes out Sept. 30th.

Mal got his hate back, he's more like the Mal from the pilot than later episodes' Mal. Still funny as all get out but remember when he looks at Niska and says,"Do you want to meet the real me now?" with that psychotic look on his face? That scared me some when he did that look. And in the movie you get to see the Real Mal come out, and he's a scary bastard.

That's all I'm gonna say about Serenity because I don't want to spoil anything, but there are a lot of surprises. The new trailer that came out, and that they're showing on Sci-Fi during the run of Firefly on Fridays, better captures the way the movie is than the first one did. So check it out. I'm sure it's on the net somewhere even.

Now about BSG: II. I can't believe most of what's happened so far, the Cylon Centurians are something that they never were in the original: that is bad mo'fo killin' machines. They were as laughable as Return of the Jedi Stormtroopers or original Star Trek Redshirts in the '70s, now they'd make the Terminator remember he had a pressing appointment elsewhere. And that rocks.

I like the twist of Kobol not being this happy shiny place now too, to the religious colonists it still is but aside from the skulls, there's a definate bad vibe to the place beyond them. Look at the dreams/hallucinations/whatever they are that Baltar has there, they start good and then slowly spiral downhill until we have the one with Adama in. That mirrors Baltar going from bumbling scientist caught in a combat zone (bad but not too bad) to what he wound up doing to Crash at the end of the last episode. I may be reading too much into it but it seems like the progression of his delusions are an effect of the planet itself, slowly turning people to their personal dark sides. I mean Kalley went from her normal self to slighty "off" to where she wound up in the last episode. Same with Crash he went from slightly cluless butterbar to negligent to out and out insane over the course of their time there.

Makes me wonder what would happen if the people of the Fleet decided that Kobol since does exist, and they can live there, that they should say "Screw this looking for a mythical planet let's settle here." I bet it wouldn't be pretty.

I think the biggest miracle of BSG so far though has been showing me something I never suspected...Richard Hatch can actually act! Who'd have thunk it?

;)

You know, I was thinking the same thing, Schatt. Hatch has learned how to act.

Tigh's wife, though ... oh, yeah, that would be excellent!

Only one thing worries me about BSGII -- that it might become some preachy left-wing parable. The whole botched Kobol raid was starting to feel very Casualties of War. But I don't think it's going to go that way. The scriptwriting seems to be pretty balanced, more intent on provoking thought than on serving an agenda.

Glad that Mal has his attitude back. One thing you can always count on from Firefly is surprises. Eagerly awaiting Serenity ...

Hot damn i just watched the trailer and it is gonna be a dozzy , have to watch have to buy , damn you Schatt ,as if i haven't got enough things to read and watch as it tis :P:P

"Let's be Bad Guy's"

The only time I thought it was going to get preachy they took me right down the path, had me saying,"Dammit I knew it!" Then...flipped it.

That was in the episode where Starbuck was questioning the Cylon, she needs to get where the bomb is planted before it goes off so goes into "by any means necessary" mode to try to get the info out of the Cylon. When the President comes in as she's laying a barbarian smackdown on the Cylon that would make Xena go,"Damn that's harsh" and Rosylnn told her to stop...well I figured that it was time to make some statement about Gitmo or Abu Gharib or something. And for about 5 minutes I thought I was right, there they went and had to go blatently current and preachy...and then...

..."Throw him out the airlock."

Blew my mind and I actually almost cheered for the President even though I never thought she'd ammount to much more than a thorn in the proverbial side. But when she did that it made me respect her, she's cunning and ruthless when she wants to be. I think Adama (when he wakes up) and Tigh best start figuring that out or things'll get a lot more interesting...in a Chinese curse sorta way.

The fact that not one, but two characters now think they're the Gods'/God's (respectively) chosen representative in the universe is bound to cause a lot of problems down the road too. On the bright side, I see little to no chance of Gary Coleman making an appearence... ;)

Although a BSG:II version of Count Iblis would rock. But I don't know how they could work in the Ships of Light which are pretty essential for that to work. Even better is that there'd have to be a Sheba for there to be a Count Iblis and Sheba was hot. Even even better to have a Sheba there has to be a Pegasus and I really, really want to see a Pegasus with a hard charging Commander Cain in this series. You know one has to exist somewhere, or at least did, because half of the old model Vipers that were on Galactica for the museum display were sporting Pegasus nose shields. So bring on the Peggy baby! :thumbsup:

Hot damn i just watched the trailer and it is gonna be a dozzy , have to watch have to buy , damn you Schatt  ,as if i haven't got enough things to read and watch as it tis :P  :P

"Let's be Bad Guy's"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you find it Red? I think they used the "Let's be Bad Guys" line in both of them so I don't know if that's the older trailer or the new (as of last week) one. They're similiar but the newer one just has more...oomf.

Jayne is great, and he has some of the funniest lines in the movie. Hell he had some of the funniest ones in the TV series too, "Time for some thrillin' heroics" never ceases to crack me up.

When the movie comes out I guarantee you will cry you'll be laughing so hard at the circumstances around his one line. Okay it's not a spoiler because you don't know how it comes about, but even not knowing it's still funny and 110% Pure Jayne: "See, this would be a good time to have a grenade."

;)

Just watched the second trailer and all i can say is Hot Damn this movie WILL be part of my collection , guys if you haven't watched the firefly series yet , beg steal buy or what ever but get it watch it and then get ready for Serenity , its going to be one of the top movies of the year in my opinion .

Yeah, Marc, it looks pretty amazing, doesn't it?

Thing that struck me is the atmosphere and intensity doesn't seem to have dropped off one bit.

That movie looks charged!

Okay, here's a new topic:

Hottest Firefly Babe

Me, I'm a KayLee fan.

What about the rest of y'all ... ?

:D

:lol::lol:

Kaylee.

me too

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then there's Inara.

But in the long run, Kaylee is just more fun.

She's the only one of the crew that was shown doing the nasty with Mal's 1st engineer. Ya'da thought it woulda been Inara, but nooooo, it was Kaylee.

Definately Kaylee.

Anara is too ......uhhhh....I don't know, high class maybe.

I'd rather drink beer and fight beside Zoe.

Saffron needs to be put down.

Take my love.

Take my land.

Take me where I cannot stand.

I don’t care, I’m still free.

You can’t take the sky from me