Back again...stinkin' Comcast

JClark

Well, I got a customer no-service tech fired last night, and my service restored, and a months credit for my aggrivation. You would not believe the goat rope I went through in the past week and a half to get my service restored. Calling virtually every night when I got home at 4:30 AM, when I woke up the next afternoon, bringing my PC to my guys shop to be checked out (the NIC card), going half way across town to pick up a modem, and getting lied to by some little wonk. Well, the little liar is now unemployed, and I'm fervently hoping he comes to work for me. Comcast now has a special note in our records, that if we call again, they come a-running, because I told them I have the phone number to the Mayors special assistant in charge of making sure that Comcast stands by it's service, with the eye towards kicking them out of town or forcing them to reduce their rates if the service dips below an acceptable level.

But...I'm online now, and checking out my favorite milblogs, NASCAR news, and corny jokes again :thumbsup:

Boats

Glad to have you back. I had problems with Comcast about a year ago. Every day the service would be on for just a few hours and like clock work, it would be off from 06:00 to about 10:00 and again from 17:30 to about 22:00 hrs. This went on for over a week. I kept calling and they kept saying it wasn't them. They finally sent out a tech (on the nastiest, rainiest day of the year) who adjusted the line voltage and the problems disappeared. It took threats of service cancellation to get the tech out here and it's not like I live in the boonies or 100 miles from their local office.

Mysterious outages still occur from time to time and now when I call the service number I get a recording that my call cannot be answered, please try again or go online for support. If I could get online I wouldn't need support, now would I? :rolleyes:

OH, and Comcast is acting up again this morning. I can get e-mail, but at 06:00 I can no longer send e-mail. This is a problem in the evenings as well. I can get on the net, retrieve e-mail, but the server will not accept outgoing messages. I'm kind of stuck since DSL is not yet available in my area.

Ah, tes, the woes of ComCast.

Have had a few instances myself. What they really need is competition. Like back when they

broke up Ma Bell. It seems that some company stakes ou an area, and no one else will move in.

If they did, both prices and service would improve, as people would then have a choice!

Imagine that...

It went out AGAIN for 3 days! But this time I put the Mayors office on them, got a phone call from the Customer Service Manager and this afternoon, right on time, at 1PM, a truck was pulling up in the driveway. Not only that, but the field service manager showed up, and even he got out changing connectors, all the way from the pole to the modem. Found the bad connection, was a bad install from day one that finally gave out. I'm getting one month credit for lost connectivity, and 3 months at 9.95 for my aggravation.

I strongly suggest you contact your local city council or mayor's office and ask if they have someone who handles these problems with Comcast. Comcast is a monopoly...but by license granted by the government (locally) alone. What they are allowed to charge for their service is governed by their service.

I also got the direct line phone numbers to the field superisors Nextel phone, and won't be calling the service centers anymore, and won't be dealing with 18 year olds telling me stupid things they can't back up.

Taking no prisoners, and eating the wounded.... :ph43r:

Boats

JClark I know what you just went through!

I lost my service for all of last week too. BT could not even schedule an appointment for them to check the line for 48 hours. Also lucky me, my problem was spanning a weekend. So it took 4 DAYS to get them to test the line. Then they said nothing was wrong and sent me a new router. The new router is not here yet but my service is back. We've called them about 6 times trying to get a straight answer and some operators had records of our problem, some did not. I'm just glad it is back and I hope I never have to deal with them again. Oh and I'm keeping the new router so I can do my own test next time. Maybe then I can get them to come out and fix it. I've only had DSL for three weeks! One of which the service was out. :angry:

Just throwing in my 2 cents so everyone doesn't immediately pass up comcast service if they happen to be shopping...

I've had it for about 2 years now and its had about 99.9% uptime (estimating the average number of hours it has been out each year). I run a couple of personal webservers off it too and it seems to have much lower latency than my previous DSL services gave. Things like this are highly dependent upon the hardware in your area or, in the case of DSL, the telco's central office and/or their employees and the business relationship with the DSL service provider (if it's not the telco).

Do give it a try, just know that it may suck terribly depending on what side of the street you live on.

Done with the hijack, carry on sirs.

Got SBC DSL here. Every couple of months I lose service, so I have to reset the modem by turning it on and off. That usually fixes the problem. The Linksys router seems to lose its settings now and then, too, so I'll have to reconfigure it. I suspect power quality is the problem with the router -- doesn't seem to take much for it to lose its settings. We've got old wiring in this house.

I've had Comcast broadband for almost four years now. I've only had one period last year where I had a problem that I couldn't get a signal. I don't know what the problem was, but I spoke with customer service several during the period and found them most helpful. They ran me through several tests. Didn't solve the problem though.

They finally decided that the IP my computer was being assigned was only being assigned for a short period of time, causing my problem of not getting a connection.

Speaking of competition, there is a new broadband system getting ready to test in my little town where the signal is sent into your home through the power lines. I'm excited about the possiblities that presents for the future. Maybe broadband will become more widely available for outlying areas soon.

I hope so too, but in Virginia we have two Republican Senators and one usually votes Republican and the other usually votes the Democratic line, therefore, Virginia usually ends up as a null vote. <_< That's Virginia these days, leading the way in mediocrity! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, that might be a better state slogan than "Virginia is for lovers". :P

I agree that Comcast has a very good up time vice downtime rate...BUT...when things go south, as things are wont to do, that's where you separate the sheep from the goats in customer service. And down here, Comcast has a license, and the city has put them on notice that their service either improves, or ugly things will happen.

Sitting here with my 4 mps download times, just whistling along.... :P:D

Boats

I decided when we went DSL at Casa del Kbar that we would go with Bell South. Best choice I could have made. Only time we had a reported outage was during a hurricane last year. I wouldn't have known about it anyway since the power was out at the house and I wasn't there anyway. A guy down the block didn't leave, had a generator and said it went down about 0200 in the morning. Was back up in the 30 mikes and never skipped a beat after that. I may pay a few bucks more a month than some, but for the satisfaction of knowing that one click and a password later and I'm on the net is worth it to me.

Cable service is worthless whether for internet or TV. back when I had it the quality was crappy and service non-existant. The company later became part of the conglamorate where the owners ripped off the company for hundreds of millions. Can't recall the name now. When I was looking around for service I was on hold 20 minutes when I realized "if I gotta wait as a new customer how about when I have a problem?" I got Dish satellite then SBC/Yahoo DSL and neverlooked back.

angry-smiley-002.gifcable!

My step son installs dish systems and said I would have to cut down a bunch of trees and maybe get my neighbor to cut down some also if I were to get any sort of stable satellite signal. The lay of the land sometimes makes the dish a no-go or a very difficult go.