Problems with Allied Force

Stag

Recieved it this morning after purchasing new and sealed from ebay. It appears to be a genuine copy, and was sold to me as one.

However, the autorun wouldn't work. I got the error (basically) gdiplus.dll missing. Okay, no real problem; I installed manually by clicking on the Setup icon on the CD, and that worked. It came from the Ukraine (couldn't find it in the UK), but there was an option to install in English.

Appears to work fine except for a couple of things:

It doesn't appear to have support for multiple controllers, so my CH package can't be used without combining them into one controller and losing many of the functions I'll need to make the thing fly properly. <_<

I thought that perhaps this could have been addressed in a patch, Only the patch is installed by by an "Updater" in the AF folder, and when I try to use it, it tells me that "The product doesn't appear to be installed".

Now there's usually more than one way to skin a cat, so I went looking to find if there was a way to install the patch manually, only that doesn't work either; it can't find the game.

Any thoughts?

Well, sir, there is a known problem with multiple button HOTAS controllers.

My X-45 has a few buttons that it will not see, which sux0rs, but LP is aware, and should

fix it. More on that later when my review comes out.

When it comes to upgrade, the built in doo-dad worked for me, and quite well. I suspect a

dodgy copy there mate. :blink:

Yep, AF doesn't have the multiple controllers code implemented yet. That was one of the things that BMS2.0 added, but AF didn't want any help from the BMS folks. Long, sorry story. So, if you want multiple controllers, you need to use the old Falcon, patched up to SP4 with BMS, or wait for AF to implement it, which they have promised to do.

CH has a utility that presents their controllers as one to windows and is a good work around. Go to their home page (don't have the link) and download the Control Manager stuff. Revvin has a board, CH Hanger, that has profiles and such, Google will get you the link. Or PM him, he stops by here every now and again.

Intructions for manually adding the patch can be found Here.

Not sure it's a knock-off Specs. Some genuine looking holograms on the box, and the printwork is of high quality.. If it Is a pirate copy, someone went to a lot of trouble for a £10.00 game. Although one thing which does come loud and clear through the cyrillic is that windows 2000 doesn't appear to be supported, which may explain the missing .dll

Neddie, I have all the whistles and bells for my CH set, and can already combine all units into one. However this only gives you access to a limited number of buttons and axis; basically the only game which has any real need of all the functions on the CH set is incapable of exploiting them. <_<

And they didn't bung in multi-controller support because of "Politics"? FFS, the CH system is THE top of the line HOTAS, but because they have a snit with someone, they only include support for one second-best, and one not even supported by it's own manufacturer any more?

I think they need to sort out their priorities. :angry:

Um, I think you misunderstand the CH Control Manager. It lets you program the buttons and axis on the stick, throttle, and rudder all into one virtual controller. AF will then recognize this controller. CM programs keystrokes to any of the CH buttons, that lets you use all the buttons on the stick and throttle however you like. There is no loss of functionality. In fact with this programming ability the functionality is better even than the Cougar HOTAS.

I don't know how to post a file here, so I've sent you an email with the map and keystroke files I use for AF in the CM. Give it a try, see what you think.

Neddie, when I try it, I have two controllers shown in AF setup, and of these, I can only get any kind of response from the throttle.

In my setup (I use version 3.6) there is a wizard which asks which controllers I wish to include in a map, and if I want to combine them into a single controller. If I select yes, then I appear to be restricted to using 32 buttons and 8 axis. Is there a way, perhaps not using this wizard, to combine the units without the limitation?

Good Morning.

The short answer is yes, you can get CM to give you more than 8 axis and 32 buttons. And no, you don't need to use the wizard, I don't. I think the wizard has this limit to aid with windows compatability.

Don't be confused by the "buttons" limit. This limit refers to DX direct buttons. I don't use any "buttons." What I do is program the buttons on the stick to send out keystrokes that issue the appropriate commands. And you can do a lot more than 32 of those.

One of the pull downs in CM tells you which axis of which controller you want the selected axis to drive. I set the throttle to drive the Z axis of CH Device 1, the stick to drive X and Y axis of CH Device 1, and the little stick on the throttle to drive the mouse. Then in AF I select CH Device 1 as my controller and it all works. No wizard.

Programming with this CM can be a little confusing, I think because it can do so many things. It confuses me anyway. :blink: Fortunately for us, there are people out there who do seem to understand all this stuff. Go to the CH Hanger to see what others have already done. I notice that there are now several AF files available. The one I sent you is a modification of one I got from this site. Start with one of these profiles, mod it to suit your style and you don't need the wizard at all.

Sure, AF has a few problems, but the one controller limit, especially if you've got CH gear (or any programmable stick) , is not one of them.

Good Morning.

The short answer is yes, you can get CM to give you more than 8 axis and 32 buttons.  And no, you don't need to use the wizard, I don't.  I think the wizard has this limit to aid with windows compatability.

Don't be confused by the "buttons" limit.  This limit refers to DX direct buttons.  I don't use any "buttons."  What I do is program the buttons on the stick to send out keystrokes that issue the appropriate commands.  And you can do a lot more than 32 of those.

One of the pull downs in CM tells you which axis of which controller you want the selected axis to drive.  I set the throttle to drive the Z axis of CH Device 1, the stick to drive X and Y axis of CH Device 1, and the little stick on the throttle to drive the mouse.  Then in AF I select CH Device 1 as my controller and it all works.  No wizard.

Programming with this CM can be a little confusing, I think because it can do so many things.  It confuses me anyway.  :blink:  Fortunately for us, there are people out there who do seem to understand all this stuff.  Go to the CH Hanger to see what others have already done.  I notice that there are now several AF files available.  The one I sent you is a modification of one I got from this site.  Start with one of these profiles, mod it to suit your style and you don't need the wizard at all.

Sure, AF has a few problems, but the one controller limit, especially if you've got CH gear (or any programmable stick) , is not one of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the pointers. I would use te microstick to control radar, but that doesn't seem to be in any of the profiles I've tried so far.

Guess I'll have to try programming. <_<

394_1123694214_bits.jpg

Totally sorted. Once I realised that the number of dx buttons available to the "single controller" had nothing to do with its capabilities, I was able to create a map of my own. That way I know what everything does, 'cos I put it there.

Now all I got to do is remember it all... :o

So, what's multiplay like?

Nice Sceenie Stag. Well done.

MP is AF's strong suit. I've not actually done it, but all reports are very good. One of the issues with the old Falcon was that if you wanted to do MP everyone had to have exactly the same install, and that could get quite confusing, so the only ones who were successful at it were virtual squadrons. Now, with AF as a standard, I've seen reports of 16 player coops going on for hours. Good stuff.

Which, of course, begs the question... There need to be more hours in a day so I can do more of this stuff. Maybe in a few weeks when school starts things will settle down and I can get in some online flying.

I was actually into F4 before I got into EAW. I loved flying "Wild Weasel" (Never even heard the term/acronym SEAD at the time) It seemed to me (back then) that F4 was easy to fly, but hard to fight, while EAW was easy to fight, but hard to fly.

If we're all re-learning, I suppose the thing to do would be to get together and make all our ballsups in co-operation. :D