COMBATSIM Forum

Morning y'all, mostly cloudy skies, 71F, and 92% humidity.  Expecting a partly cloudy morning, a mostly cloudy afternoon, and a high of 88F.  Forecast also indicates this week will be summertime hot and dry.

The tropics forecast does not bode well for Louisiana.  Hurricane Marco is now forecast to strike the coast of Louisiana just west of New Orleans on Monday afternoon, then track WNW, about 50 miles inland, but parallel to the coast.  Tropical storm Laura is expected to strengthen to hurricane force before hitting Louisiana, but coming ashore 150 to 200 miles west of New Orleans in the early hours of Thursday.

2020 has been and continues to be an epic year.  Murder hornets, COVID-19, economic and sports shutdowns, riots in multiple cities every night, fires in the west, epic rains in the east, now dueling hurricanes.

Probably the last warm weekend of the year coming to an end. Down to 71.6F, which is quite pleasant.

With what's going on in the world, I thought I would cheer myself up by getting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

Not hugely impressed though. :(

Nice start here in the colonies, but thunder boomers and high wind later.Son in law one his Pro Stock race last night, wish I could have been there!

20200823_094209.jpg

1 hour ago, mikew said:

... I thought I would cheer myself up by getting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

What didn't you find impressive? The previews and reviews I've seen on YouTube were hugely enthusiastic about the weather effects, ambient airport and road traffic, and the real-time satellite terrain. Also, there was much buzz about vast number of airports and planes included at even the entry-level price point.

About the only negative thing I've heard was that Orbx, a third-party add-on developer, got their tit in a wringer for releasing a London City mod with 1997-quality graphics ... but they've released a statement saying it was an error on their part ad would be rectified.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

Probably the last warm weekend of the year coming to an end. Down to 71.6F, which is quite pleasant.

With what's going on in the world, I thought I would cheer myself up by getting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

First, my current computer is incompatible by about 6 years, as in, it has neither the software nor the hardware to even install MSFS.

Second, once again it appears that MicroSoft rushed yet another product to market as a high-beta version.  From what I have read, MSFS has a lot of issues that probably would not exist had MS given the Asobo team another month or so.  It is also an incomplete product, it is not yet a fully functional, fully featured flight simulator.  From what I have read, it is good for VFR sight seeing, sort of like MS's previous flight "simulator", titled "MS Flight".  I expect MSFS will have most of the issues ironed out by the end of this year.

1 hour ago, cobraj said:

Nice start here in the colonies, but thunder boomers and high wind later.Son in law one his Pro Stock race last night, wish I could have been there!

20200823_094209.jpg

Congratulations on a win!

On 8/23/2020 at 4:03 PM, The Dude said:

What didn't you find impressive? The previews and reviews I've seen on YouTube were hugely enthusiastic about the weather effects, ambient airport and road traffic, and the real-time satellite terrain. Also, there was much buzz about vast number of airports and planes included at even the entry-level price point.

It doesn't recognise any of the joysticks I have (a 15 or so year old Logitech Wingman, and a 5 year old generic stick), and doesn't even try giving them some default setup.

I started trying to set one up manually, but the unintuitive interface and long start up time makes experimentation painful.

Then I realised that I have an Xbox gamepad, and that is recognised fine. Not my ideal way of controlling an aircraft, but at least I can fly around now.

I have turned any weather effects on yet as I'm still in the sightseeing phase. :)

On 8/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, Stans said:

First, my current computer is incompatible by about 6 years, as in, it has neither the software nor the hardware to even install MSFS.

I'm using a 4+ year old PC with a 980Ti, and I let the game decide what detail to run at. Runs fairly smoothly.

40 minutes ago, mikew said:

I'm using a 4+ year old PC with a 980Ti, and I let the game decide what detail to run at. Runs fairly smoothly.

Pretty sure a Core2Quad CPU, 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM, an Nvidia 560Ti with 512 MB of VRAM, and Windows XP 32-bit falls waaaaaaaay short of compatibility.  The more reviews I read, the more I am lead to believe that MSFS was released well before it was a complete flight sim. 

Yes, that might be a bit marginal...

Looks pretty good to me. The visual artefacts on the ground (of which there are many) are more amusing than anything.

Hopefully, most of the problems will be addressed by updates which should be automatic as you need to be connected to Microsoft all the time.

Normally, I hate that, but I only use this PC for games and is usually connected to Steam anyway.