COMBATSIM Forum

Monday - Labor Day U.S.

Morning y'all, clear, September skies with 57F, and 86% humidity start this Labor Day Monday.  Expecting September sunshine and a September high of 83F today.

Labor Day in the U.S. was a holiday established to honor the American labor movement and the contributions of the American laborer.  In 1887, Oregon became the first state to establish the first Monday in September as a labor holiday.  By 1894, when the federal government made the first Monday in September a federal labor day holiday, 30 states had already enacted a state holiday to celebrate labor unions and workers.

For all us working stiffs...

But Labor Day also makes me think of this song.  This version starts with the history of the song.

Happy Labor Day to all those who celebrate today.

Thanks for the history lesson. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, it isn't a holiday here so better not play any music...although I could probably get away with it as I'm about the only who turns up at work these days.

Anyway, after a bit of research, I found out that the incorrect spelling of 'labour' in the USA took off about 1840.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?year_end=2000&content=labor%2Clabour&smoothing=3&corpus=5&year_start=1800&direct_url=t1%3B%2Clabor%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Clabour%3B%2Cc0#t1%3B%2Clabor%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Clabour%3B%2Cc0

Afternoon all, back from the camp and big race weekend. tough day made it about 80 laps into the 150 lapper, till tire issues did us in.. beautiful day for racing though!

20200906_150114.jpg

20200906_182424.jpg

20200906_182708.jpg

18 hours ago, cobraj said:

Afternoon all, back from the camp and big race weekend. tough day made it about 80 laps into the 150 lapper, till tire issues did us in.. beautiful day for racing though!

20200906_182708.jpg

Tire issues, eh?  Darrell Waltrip sang it best, to the tune of Kenny Rogers' song, Lucille,  "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel".

Looks like there was some rubbing going on.  "... he rubbed you. And rubbin', son, is racin'", Harry Hogge (Robert Duvall) in Days of Thunder.