San Francisco Shuns Retired USS Iowa

Donster

It's alot like Americas Human vets, they arent wanted much either and are pushed around and pawned on others. Sad that we are losing the things that kept us free and great.

S! Old girl and the men who served aboard you.

I used to love San Francisco when I lived there in the 60's and 70's but with the weird agenda they've adopted since the liberal wackos and gays took over,I wouldn't give a thank you to live there now. It's still a beautiful city,but the attitude of the inhabitants makes me gag! But to have the Iowa go to Stockton? I don't think so! Maybe Sacramento,but Stockton's only famous for gang fights and the Asparagus Festival. Naaaaaah!

That is just plain sad. The USS North Carolina is permanently moored in Wilmington, NC, fairly well restored and open to the public. I have been on that boat two or three times now and am willing to tour it again the next time I am in Wilmington. These fighting ships make superb tourist attractions and generate tax revenue. It takes a real moron to turn down such an offer.

No doubt. One of the most important ships still afloat and they don't want it docked there because of PC BS? That's ridiculous beyond the point of being ridiculous.

Everyone get some shovels so we can widen that river and get that ship up to Iowa somehow. ;)

My first-grade class field trip was a visit to the USS Texas in San Jacinto. I still remember that day.

San Francisco is already home to the SS Jerimiah O'Brien, a Liberty ship, and the USS Pampanito, a WWII submarine. Navy vessels still call here from time to time, especially during Fleet Week in October, when the Blue Angels usually perform.

The USS Iowa would make a terrific attraction, and is a very appropriate way to honor the city's naval tradition. This is just another case of the minority pushing through their extremist agenda.

If they cancel Fleet Week, I'm going to start a campaign to cancel Gay Pride Week. At that, I'll probably end up getting arrested for promoting "hate speech."

<_<

I always thought Feinstein was leftist and anti-American when I was stationed in Cali.

Now there are Moonbats even further left, and she is pushing for the historied ship to be there?

If it wasn't for folks like Jo-Bang-Dark-eye, I'd recommend the area for above ground nuclear

testing...

(di-di-dee-di-di-di)

This just in!

In breaking news San Francisco has agreed to allow the United States Navy to dock ships of historic significance at their port. However according to the agreement between the city and the Navy, all vessels must meet anti-discriminartory codes and be properly fitted out so as to not offend anyone, anywhere, at any time.

With the new rules in effect the Navy has repainted the USS Pampanito to fully comply with the open minded city guidelines.

3pinksub7vo.jpg

The vessel will be opened to the public on Labor Day, with a rededication ceremony to be presided over by the city's mayor who will marry as many gay couples as can fit on the fantail. Due to the perceived anti-gay stance of the military, however, the Navy will be unable to mount a presence at the ceremony. To fill the gap the Village People have agreed to stand in for the missing seamen and will be singing "In the Navy" continuously throughout the proceedings.

In a related story the USS Iowa will not be docking at San Francisco. When asked why a Naval spokesman said that Tommy Lee Jones had taken over the ship and refused to allow it to be docked in "such a silly place." Steven Segal was sent to negotiate with Jones. It appears that the Navy is content to allow Jones to keep possession of the ship so long as he agrees to not dock anywhere in the United States and allow Segal off, since he is in the words of one Pentagon spokesman,"A hippy dippy freak that needs a haircut and acting lessons almost as much as Ben Affleck."

(di-di-dee-di-di-di)

What?? :P

I always thought Feinstein was leftist and anti-American when I was stationed in Cali.

Now there are Moonbats even further left, and she is pushing for the historied ship to be there?

If it wasn't for folks like Jo-Bang-Dark-eye, I'd recommend the area for above ground  nuclear

testing...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naw, Speccers, just drop a neutron bomb one weekend when we're out of town ... ;)

I know this might get me invited to leave this forum, but why is it wrong for their city council to say no to this? A simple decision was made. It just doesn't agree with the prevailing political views here. Because it isn't a conservative view, doesn't make it wrong. If the majority of the public of San Francisco really wants the ship kept there, they can make it happen.

I doubt this ever went to, or ever will, a public vote. It is just the work of their elected officials.

It's just the trend from that area, 9th Circuit court, and other "trend-setters" that I find wholly

annoying. PC fun and adventure of a herd left flavor, what's not to like?

I know this might get me invited to leave this forum, but why is it wrong for their city council to say no to this? A simple decision was made. It just doesn't agree with the prevailing political views here. Because it isn't a conservative view, doesn't make it wrong. If the majority of the public of San Francisco really wants the ship kept there, they can make it happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the reasons are budgetary, that's fine by me. Assuming we don't have the money, that's the correct decision. We can't afford it, we can't afford it.

Of course, SFO is a town that relies heavily on tourist dollars. Does it makes sense for us to turn down a major tourist attraction? I doubt it.

But this isn't a fiscal decision. This is a political decision, same as when Mayor Gavin Newsome allowed gay marriages at City Hall. The council is making a "statement" about the war in Iraq. Whether you're a liberal or a conservative, that sort of thinking is wrong. The Iowa and Iraq are totally unrelated.

It's just poor leadership. This was a spiteful decison taken by elitist elected officials. As an SFO voter, taxpayer, and homeowner, I want my council to make decisons based on sound judgment, not personal emotion. Poor logic like this is what got the city so far in debt in the first place.

Just my opinion, Rjel. You're welcome to disagree, naturally. No hard feelings.

Heck, my candidate from our district lost, so obviously I'm out of step with the rest of SFO. Believe me, if my wife wasn't a local, I'd have moved a long time ago!

Well you hit Joker. This is done out of spite and to push their agenda. The USS Alabama and her dock mate the Gato Class Drum are a boon to Mobile's economy. And we're all just a bunch of hic southerners according to most of the rest of the country. We do, however, have a firm sense of duty, and understand what it takes to keep this country free. Ask me, I know.