COMBATSIM Forum

The Story of Total Air War

Krycztij

As some of you might know, I’ve been working on an article about Total Air War’s history and modding community.

It’s unfinished, but I figured if I don’t post it now, it may take forever to complete!

http://krishty.com/taw/history

15 minutes of sweet nostalgia: The old days of TAW’s release (when DID’s team would hang out on SimHQ and COMBATSIM regularly), the breakthroughs in understanding game data, source code, and (of course) the big purge at SimHQ.

If I got something wrong, feel free to tell me here (or privately via PM)!

1 hour ago, Scorpion82 said:

Was EF2k really that horrorbly programmed?

I can’t tell for sure. ADF/TAW’s rendering code definitely is odd. Its flight control system, on the other hand, looked pretty well-written. I trust the expert’s word here :D 

1 hour ago, Scorpion82 said:

Would have been great to see a steady evolution of the TFX series, instead of each part introducing new stuff, but loosing old stuff. A pity.

Yeah. The games do contain quite a lot levels from their predecessors (e.g. EF2000 contains all TFX levels). They are not playable, but their presence indicates that they used (and maintained) them during development to some degree … what a pity!

You’re welcome!

On 1/22/2021 at 10:46 PM, mikew said:

I've spent hours going through those archived threads. :)

Yep, I’ve donated to the Internet Archive because it really is invaluable. Thinking about copying the remaining threads to my site to make them easily searchable …

On 1/24/2021 at 6:51 AM, DrKevDog said:

Well done! I am savoring every word as your Editorial skills are quite commendable.

I’m looking forward to write about the other great things you did with TAW, like your 1200-tile wide world!

On 1/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, Krycztij said:

As some of you might know, I’ve been working on an article about Total Air War’s history and modding community.

It’s unfinished, but I figured if I don’t post it now, it may take forever to complete!

http://krishty.com/taw/history

15 minutes of sweet nostalgia: The old days of TAW’s release (when DID’s team would hang out on SimHQ and COMBATSIM regularly), the breakthroughs in understanding game data, source code, and (of course) the big purge at SimHQ.

If I got something wrong, feel free to tell me here (or privately via PM)!

"Where’s the source code?"

People never stopped asking for source code. It became a phenomenon. Even in 2018 – 20 years after the release of TAW – our team still received requests for it.

Not even the CIA would be that stubborn in hiding a buggy, realistically moded ace combat 1997-1998 game. Even Falcon 4.0 got a break.

• 1 month later...