I don't understand

Shepherd

I went to the UN website and looked to see what they are saying themselves. They have offered help in teams and are wanting to raise money. They can't send teams becuase the US has not asked for it. They term it as their standard responce to this situation. If we need so much help I wonder why we haven't asked?

Maybe it is pride?

Maybe it is power?

I went to the UN website and looked to see what they are saying themselves. They have offered help in teams and are wanting to raise money. They can't send teams becuase the US has not asked for it. They term it as their standard responce to this situation. If we need so much help I wonder why we haven't asked?

Maybe it is pride?

Maybe it is power?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's because WE are the help when it comes to the UN doing something. 90% US, 10% everybody else.

It's because WE are the help when it comes to the UN doing something. 90% US, 10% everybody else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, 90% of troops stationed in East Timor around the time they were fighting for independence were Americans. Thanks for that.

Guess we have to blame Clinton. :rolleyes:

I saw a story on a Canadian station that said the Canadioan Red Cross has 7000 volunteers lined up to help with aid but for some obscure reason they were told they were not needed :unsure: Strange stuff happens sometimes

It's pretty typical and I guess natural Arch. You'd find Britain or France, countries that do have abilities, and egos, just don't immediately let outside help come in. First an assessment is done, rather wise for all concerned and wanna-be concerned I would think, and if the level of damage overtakes their capacity to deal with it AND overcome national pride AND we must add security issues into this nowadays, THEN the doors will open. Except for the pride, the rest makes sense. The pride, I guess it makes sense too in that it's human nature so you just have to go with it.

Marc's probably right security is the big issue most likely, the Russians may offer help but it'll be a cold day in hell before we let Russian military people inside the US, the Cold War wasn't that long ago and a lot of Americans don't trust Putin. I'd be one of them.

As for the Canadians...well hate to say it but it's security too. Unless they were military or police volunteers then chances are we would (and appearently did) say no. I love you Canadians, you know that, but you guys let anyone into your country and unless we're 110% sure those volunteers don't include people that want to blow us up just looking for a way into the US then it isn't gonna happen.

As for the UN, well to be blunt we don't really like them all that much and many of us do figure they really would screw it up/screw us over with it.

I'm sure Vincente Fox will be offering us literally hundreds of thousands of "aid workers" soon. But like the man says, just 'cause they offer doesn't mean we have to say yes. ;)

Help is appriciated, but with the situation we're in regarding other matters we have to be very, very careful what help we can afford to take.

I don't want to be funny or anything but if you are not going to accept help you can't berate countries for not sending help. You need to trust people sometimes. Especially your closest friends.

Phil  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right. However as America we have found that the people we have most often thought were out friend are also the ones who have driven the knife in the deepest. I am sure as this mission goes on we will take help from those closest to us.

Schatt. Fox sends thousands of workers here everyday, just ask Skip.

I don't want to be funny or anything but if you are not going to accept help you can't berate countries for not sending help. You need to trust people sometimes. Especially your closest friends.

Phil  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree with you Taz.................I know that the Canadian Gov't has offered help in material and people (incl Military) but the American Gov't hasn't asked for any...........................which either means to much pride or everything is under control....................and from what I'm seeing on the news its far from undercontrol!!!

I say suck it up and ask for help and if not don't start saying that no one will help the U.S. because its not true.

With the utmost respect but ...Sorry ....but I don't buy the "security" bit. There is NO security in New Orleans right now. Security for Canadian military personnel is NOT an issue......and our military is VERY good at humanitarian aid.

There was a story this morning on the news about folks in Prince Edward Island who contacted the US embassey and offered to house and feed disaster victims for free.....they were told "no thanks"

Somebody is screwing up BIG TIME here......and it's not your friends and neighbours.

I'm sorry if I sound upset by this ....but I am :(