I'm a redneck and proud of it!!!!!

Stans

All of us have enjoyed the Redneck jokes for years. It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country and, most importantly - God.

If I had to stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so Rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns, and grit - that's what Rednecks are made of. I hope I am one of those - at least in spirit. If you feel the same, pass this on to your Redneck friends.

Ya'll know who ya're...

You might be a Redneck if:

1. It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."

2. You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

3. You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."

4. You remove your hat and bow your head when anyone prays.

5. You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play our National Anthem --- and men you have your hat in your hand. If you've served in the military you stand at attention --- PROUDLY (with tears in your eyes).

6. You treat Vietnam vets with great respect and always have.

7. You've never burned an American flag, but would kick someone's butt that did.

8. You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

9. You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

10. You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

I may live in England but I have tools in the kitchen, car parts in the living room, boots by the back door and a bunch of old cars, some run, some don't! Its a state of mind.

Stans,do rednecks tend to be a little dogmatic about some things,or is that just a Yankee point of view?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well "redneck" really used to be a deragatory term once upon a time.

To me, it is about having a sense of chivalry and independance. You have to be able to hunt and fish for your own food, fix your own house, and its good if you own a dog. You have to be able to look after yourself but you'll also drive an hour to pull a car out of a ditch just to get to use your 4x4 to help someone. ;) Personally, I'm not dogmatic at all. I think you'll find southerners take pride in the lifestyle even though it is "old fashioned" or "unsophisticated".

I think Baltar has pretty well nailed it. It used to be that only hicks from backwater locations (missing teeth and chewing tobacco were also pretty much required) with poor educations were called rednecks. Now, just about anyone from the south is considered a redneck.

The term "redneck" is still derogatory as it is used to describe things like the gulf coast resorts. This area is called "the redneck Riviera". Well, I've not been there, but the pictures often show beautiful settings and resorts, at least before Hurrican Katrina. But more and more southerners are taking pride in being from the south and no longer mind being called a redneck. Heck, we called everyone who broke through the line at the Virginia-Maryland border a damn Yankee for over a century, so I guess it's fair for us who are blessed by God to be born in the south to be called rednecks. :D

I think more over your seeing the term come back to what it originally meant to begin with. Working outside in the hot sun from the time it came till it went down results in a "red neck" literally. Some southerners take offense to being called redneck when what the damned yankee should have been saying was hillbilly. Southerners are a proud lot, I'll give us that.

You guys sound like Newfies to me :) The term Newfie has similar connotations as redneck and from what I read there are a lot of actual similarities.

BTW the new Chief of Staff of the Canadian military is a Newfie and he is raising hell in Ottawa.....beacuse "horror of horrors" ;) he wants to increase military spending and combat readiness. :D