COMBATSIM Forum

Original TAW

Because the most interesting module is AWAC module, the original is the best for TAW play. I can only see now how "amatourish" were those new textures. In the small 3D window of AWAC they are pixelated and useless. I wish the AWAC module could be moded to make each window hirez and full screen and all the buttons either on the small strip or transparent. 

My 1st impression of TAW after this long break is that it provides very balanced gameplay fun and satisfaction whit nearly zero learning curve and amount of time spent of settings all things to play and enjoy. Not much even time investment is required to have something accomplished and finished in the game. Obviously there are few shortcomings which no doubt are pretty glaring especially when compared with current crop of flight combat sims. 

After I made Nostalgia TAW to work , thank you,  I see some artifacts and errors in tiling of the terrain. I have original TAW program so my question is there any way I can put that into my current installation of 2.30 Mod or there is any way to correct those errors in tiling ? 

With ADF/TAW, the package works back-asswords from most programs.  In most programs, you have the files in a single package, and then you can introduce fixes by putting the file of the same name into another folder to "overwrite."  Examples of this are DCS with the TempTexures folder, the Strike Fighters series, and games using the Baldur's Gate engine.  By comparison, ADF/TAW looks for the package and calls it first.  If the package is not there, it looks for all of the individual files.  So the only way to incorporate old stuff into 2.30 would be to extract the original package and insert the individual files.  We would need 100% accounting of all files to make this completely seamless.  IIRC, there are quite a few files we have no idea about, partially because they aren't actually used in the code (they're hooks and nothing more), and partially because we couldn't figure them out.

I kind of understand the issue nut just "kind of". I have original TAW installation program which I  could make separate installation, but the sucker refuses to run. I unzip all but Setup.exe or should that be F22setup.exe is stuck on the error that it cannot run in 64bit. Should I use compatibility or some other tricks?    

And ... how do you make screenshots in TAW? 

8 hours ago, Polakreturned said:

And ... how do you make screenshots in TAW?

I just used to press the 'print screen' button, then alt-tab out to Windows, open 'Paint' and paste the screenshot in.

There's probably a smarter way of doing it though...

I'm having trouble reproducing that. As I understand it, you're running TAW2.30 with the Nostalgia mod, but if I zoom around with TFXplorer using the Nostalgia mod dataset, I don't see those problems. It's a big map though. :)

My guess would be that you're seeing some texture indexing problem, but don't understand the mechanism right now.

Hmmn, I did a fresh install of TAW2.30, then applied the Nostalgia mod and started that mission. I couldn't see what you're seeing though.

Since that's on the Saudi-Yemen border, it's pretty easy to find that area in TFXplorer and the the area of interest should be somewhere in this picture. I can't see a problem, even at different times of day.

sy1.png

That picture should be 2560x1600 but this board cuts it down. :(