Proof I've won every campaign — except those two one-stars...

Atlantic

You've heard this before, but there are two one-star campaigns that are harder than anything else TAW can throw at you: Highland and Outcast. The absurdity of the 60% Army damage requirement in Highland and the huge distances required to get to targets in Outcast are pretty hard obstacles to surmount. But there are some four- and five-star campaigns that are in fact easier!

Sea Breeze, nominally a tough four-star endeavor, was, well, a breeze. I won Port of Call, the only five-star campaign, with days to spare — and I didn't even play that well, I was killed on five or six missions in a row in the face of a relentless enemy onslaught. But we managed to sneak through enough strike packages to hit the C4 ad AF damage thresholds. Bottom line, you can win the later campaigns and quite easily too, see attached image.  

Now for the three add-on campaigns in TAW 2.30. My only peeve is that the brief for Avenging Scimitar calls Ethiopia a Muslim nation...             

PXL_20211127_001549136.jpg

43 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Now for the three add-on campaigns in TAW 2.30. My only peeve is that the brief for Avenging Scimitar calls Ethiopia a Muslim nation...             

True.  In all fairness, Ethiopia is not organized enough to have a representative religion.  When I wrote that the idea was that UBL would find sympathetic allies among the warlords and power brokers in the country (not unlike Yemen), but I was writing a campaign brief, not a political science dissertation.  Your observation is correct, though.

I'm curious to hear how you like the additional campaigns.  I agree with your assessment of Highland that its tasking is easy, but it's impossible to win by following the tasking.  I built Scimitar around the idea of being able to follow tasking as fragged and complete the campaign without having to "go Rambo."  The big dynamic in Scimitar is the changing alliances.

5 hours ago, Home Fries said:

OBTW, the way to win highland is to take 6xAGM-65 on wing pylons and take out every barracks you see enroute to and from the target area.  That will get your "army" score up to 60.

That's going to be my tactic the next time I run it. I loaded 12x Mavericks and went hunting for barracks in the latter stages of the campaign, but that wasn't enough. I'll report back. The way to win Outcast on the other hand would be to shrink the Red Sea — you got any juice with Moses? ;)     

On 11/27/2021 at 3:56 PM, Home Fries said:

OBTW, the way to win highland is to take 6xAGM-65 on wing pylons and take out every barracks you see enroute to and from the target area.  That will get your "army" score up to 60.

I haven't played Highland for years, but I don't remember having the luxury of doing that and was stuck on full AA loadout until it's too late.

For Outcast, I didn't bother coming back from those deep strikes into Egypt. Just pointed the plane at a cooling tower and ejected after using up all my stores. Probably be court martialed for that these days. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, HomeFries was right, Highland is very winnable. Hit 60% Army targets with 25 hours to spare. The Sudanese Air Force ceased to exist as a meaningful opposition late on Day 2, which made the job easy.    

PXL_20211215_185720947.jpg.8611fb58012e7727df49d6f023daca77.jpg

I hit C4 hard initially then AF and Army targets in parallel, and killed all of their A-50s. That wiped out their air force, and for the rest of the campaign all I had to do was roam at will over Sudan carrying 12 Mavericks. That made for some really long missions (1,500 nm!) but worked. 

All they sent up in the way of opposition on Day 2 and on Day 3 was half-hearted CAPs of Su-27s and Mig-21s plus a few strike flights that rarely even made it past the border before being shot down. At times the sky over Sudan was completely empty. This from the people who in the initial stages of the war were inundating me with the usual TAW insanity — like 4x strike packages of 16 jets each inbound at the same time!

At least one of those lone CAPs got me my long-distance kill record. I was headed to Khartoum and well into Sudanese airspace at 27,000 ft and Mach 1.2 with a full AG load when I locked a Su-27 at 50+ miles, head on, same altitude as me. Switched to Emcon 5 and launched a 120R at 45 nm, without much hope of hitting him but mostly to keep him occupied until I got closer. He fired too, shortly after me, and just as I was putting his missile abeam, chaffing and ordering my wingman to engage I saw my missile hit. He exploded on contact, I dodged his shot easily and we went on our way without further harassment. I suppose actual F-22s can hit you a lot farther than that, but hey, we don't do TAW for realism. On to Outcast!