Monday

Stans

Morning y'all, clear skies, 28F, 81% humidity and the temperature is expected to fall one more degree at sunrise which will be in about an hour.  Forecast calls for sunshine and a high of only 46F.  Tonight, increasing cloudiness and overcast skies before dawn, the low will be around 25F.

Back when I was in school we would have 1 week off and up to 2 extra days off when Christmas fell on a Friday or Saturday.  Always went back on the first weekday after January 1, even if January 2 was a Friday.  Yep, go back for 1 day, then off for the weekend.  Kids around here these days get at least two weeks off for Christmas.  Of course, back in my day we did not go to school in June, we were out by Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, back in my day, we started school the week before Labor Day, had one day off in late September or early October for parent-teacher conference day, two days off for Thanksgiving, a week for Christmas (up to two extra days, depending upon where Christmas fell on the week), one day off in late February or early March for parent-teacher conference day, up to a week off for Easter, but that week would also be used to make up for any missed days due to snow closures, and usually out the week before Memorial Day. 

I don't ever recall going to school in June, even though one year we were closed for over 2 weeks due to an unusually snowy winter.  That year we used Easter week, the week before Memorial Day, and went to school for half a day on 4 Saturdays.  That was the year I started to hate snow.  School 5 days a week, half a day on Saturday, then Sunday school and church on Sunday.  I felt like it was a 7-day work week, no time for sleeping in or having fun with friends.