Canadian Military Pilots Soon Unemployed

Donster

Interesting...the guvmint could take the money they save and blow it on another pork barrel scam like the half-dozen or so previous scams that have cost Canadian taxpayers multi -billions of dollars.

Still, the writing is on the wall and UCAVs are the future. Although, the headline is misleading: the aircraft are not "pilotless"... the pilot is just in a remote location and not in the actual cockpit of the aircraft (we all know this, but I just felt like being pedantic). Also, as the article points out, UCAV's won't completely replace conventional fighter jets, just that remotely-piloted aircraft will make up a greater percentage of the overall asset base.

Hmmmmm...perhaps I can submit a resume.....I have years of experience piloting a joystick and monitor.....and I'm a Canadian too ! Maybe the RCAF will start using Hyperlobby as a training resource. :P

Well the remote pilots will potentially be able to fly more years as I expect the physical exams won't need to be as comprehensive. No G load or vision issues.

No need for 20/20 or better vision?  Hmmm.... there's hope for me yet. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not going to write off piloted aircraft yet, they tried that back in the 60s and then realised that SAMs weren't really a replacement for manned aircraft afterall, not even in the role of air defence. This sounds like the same kind of half baked knickers cooked up by idiots who don't actually take defence seriously at all. Grasping a straws more like.

I mean look at it this way. If you are defending against UCAVs you will find it easy and cheap to countermeasure them electronically, you might not even have to shoot them down. If I was a 3rd world despot with any savvy whatsoever I'd plough cash into electronically disposing of any UCAV strike force. All you'd need s a half decent laptop and a transmitter to cause all sorts of difficulties for the attacking UCAVs. It'd be far wiser to have a pilot in the cockpit to wrench back control from defending ECM workstations.

I'm sorry but UAVs and even UCAVs have their place but I don't think that the combat pilots days are numbered. Not yet anyway. Maybe in Canada but they'd be making a big mistake if they did this.

Phil :)