COMBATSIM Forum

The time has come ...

The Dude

Hi all,

I've decided that the CSIM forum will be shutdown.

In its various incarnations, starting out in 1997 as a simple Perl CGI script, to the Discus platform, then to the Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB) forum, and finally to this InvisionBoard version, it has served us well for over 25 years, both as a social gathering place, information exchange, and for the housing of countless trouble-shooting and how-to posts. All of which were made by you, the users.

But the time has come to face the fact that there are newer (and less expensive) ways to socialize and share game information.

Free services, such as Discord or Guilded, allow users and groups to build targeted, interest-specific communities in a matter of minutes. I particularly enjoy how Discord combines real-time chat with the ability to create various topic-specific channels that meet the exact needs of the overall server topic. You can join the combatsim discord server to try it out first: https://discord.gg/7EZAQQ3afJ. If you like it, you might try creating your own server. Edit: I've now tried Guilded and its "forum" channel option is an excellent feature if you prefer true forum-style threaded discussions.

If Discord or Guilded aren't to your liking, and you think you'd like to try your hand at building and running a traditional forum like this one, check out the various offerings in this article: Best Forum Software (free & paid)

Of course, I understand many of you who read this may want to reach out to me to find ways to keep the forum online.

First and foremost, I will not transfer this forum to any person or group because there is the issue of privacy and confidentiality. This forum not only stores posts, but also thousands of direct/private message between users. I cannot, in all conscience, transfer custody of that data to another party. I mean, I could, as I do not believe there is anything preventing me to do so, but I simply will not. 

Second, I'm not shutting down the forum because of the cost to run it. I can personally afford to keep it online indefinitely, so the cost is not my motivation here. 

Third, in addition to my belief that this forum is past its prime and offers little real benefit to the current generation of combat simulations gamers. I am not getting any younger ... or healthier. Should I suddenly meet a fate that prevents me from personally maintaining this forum, either through disability or even dying, I don't want this forum to simply disappear without any notice whatsoever when the folks at InvisionBoard can no longer auto-bill my credit card. 

So with all the above in mind, I will shutdown this forum ... but it'll be a gradual shutdown in order to give users, both past and present, time to take a stroll down memory lane and visit some of those old posts they made and/or loved lo those many years ago.

Starting on January 14th, one week from today, I will turn off the ability to make new posts. This will, in essence, make this a read-only forum. After that, I will leave this forum online for 1 year, at which time, I will shutdown the forum and take it offline.

I hope this approach is one that treats everyone fairly and gives the few groups who are still active here time to find new homes for their most favourite or most-used content.

Speaking of moving content. I've had several conversations with the InvisionBoard staff about exporting forum content, but there simply is no way to do that without also including sensitive user data. So, if you want to grab some of your favourite content to move it to a new platform, I suggest you use the "Save As" feature in your browser to save pages to your computer. Which brings up one final issue ...

If there is a run on page content, that is to say, hundreds of page views being generated in a very short period of time, either directly by users, or by the directed use of some sort of web scraping tool, I can pretty much guarantee the site will get auto-throttled and an error page will greet all users. This will occur because my current forum hosting package with InvisionBoard only allows a certain number of page views per day (which is pretty low). So please, if you try to scrape the pages using an automated tool, it may backfire on you (and everyone else for that matter). This is why I've decided to keep the forum up for a year in read-only mode so folks can grab their favourite content in a more, how shall we say, low-tech way 

That's about it for now. As I say, you can still post messages until January 14th, 2022, so chime in if you feel I've overlooked or even offended anyone.

Cheers!

TheDude

• Like 1

Oh, man.  I am sorry to hear that the CSim forums are about to go away.  I have spent so much time here, had a lot of fun, got away with a lot of fun things here that other forums simply will not tolerate.   I built relationships with people I will most likely never meet, at least while on this earth.  I will miss it. :(

• Like 1

TheDude,

first and foremost THANK YOU for announcing this in a timely manner and for keeping the forum up in read-only mode for one year! This is so much more respectful than most other sites.

For us EF2000/ADF/TAW modders, CSim is about the only place there is. Hence, the information here is invaluable, and I will use archive.org during the next year to rescue as much of it as possible, or maybe contact the Archive Team.

This site has been like a home for me for the past eleven years. Learning that it’ll shut down breaks my heart, but I understand how exhausting it can be to maintain all this. I also know too well the privacy problems with handing it over to someone else; been there too often.

Thank you so much for the great time and for the graceful end!

It is tough to see the forum come to an end. It has been a big part of my life for 20 years or so. It has been something that I looked forward to every single day. The great friendships I have acquired here will always be cherished for a long as I live. Thank you Doug for being the creator of such a great forum and the Combatsim website. :icon_salute3:

• Like 1

Thanks, Doug, for all your work and time required in keeping these forums going.  I've made some good friends here (and a few enemies, I imagine).  Two, Donnie and Quiet Man, I've met personally.  Who can forget the surprise visit to Donnie's place complete with presentation of a neat leather flight jacket.  Well, I can't.  The big guy was blubbering as he pulled on the jacket.  I'm sure he'll spend the next few days sitting in a corner, rocking back and forth, mumbling, "No more boobs, no more boobs ..."

He'll cope.  As will we all, I suppose.  :(

Dammit, Doug!  I have Teamspeak, not Discord.  I've had both in the past.  Every time I join a gaming clan or such I need the opposite of what I have.  Guess I'll install DS again . . . as long as the channel isn't just weather reports.  :)

Jim

• Like 1

I had to cancel the account generated when I followed the above link and generate a new password for my old account.  My handle is MTslacker and I need the 4-digit number that goes on the end of the link.

Jim

• Like 1

Man ... what a rush of memories.  

Doug, thanks for everything.  CSim started the international combat-sim community, and I'm grateful I was part of that era.  You're a class act.

As are the rest of you Simians and Death's Heads.  It's been an honor.  

S!

Joker!

I thought we'd flush-out a few of the MIA Simians out of the jungle with the forum closure notice, but not you, Joker :) I didn't want to get my hopes up.

Would love to catch up with you on a side frequency ... DM me if you are amendable to that idea.

To this day, when I fly WWII air combat online with Gunny (and yes, we still fly) if he ever says "Where'd they come from?!" I always say, "Japan?" even if we're fighting Germans. lol.

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

To this day, when I fly WWII air combat online with Gunny (and yes, we still fly) if he ever says "Where'd they come from?!" I always say, "Japan?" even if we're fighting Germans. lol.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ahhh soooo. Youie ale to say Sayonala and Sullendel and takie chickens way outie of fightie ovel Pacific against supeliol Itchie? You needie to sullendel to NWO and OUL grolious Empelol! Do thisie soonlry! Youie be bettel off!

BANZAI!!! BANZAI!!! BANZAI!!!

2 minutes ago, Itchie Crotchie said:

Ahhh soooo. Youie ale to say Sayonala and Sullendel and takie chickens way outie of fightie ovel Pacific against supeliol Itchie? You needie to sullendel to NWO and OUL grolious Empelol! Do thisie soonlry! Youie be bettel off!

BANZAI!!! BANZAI!!! BANZAI!!!

Well said Itchie, whatever you said anyway. If you CSIM posters don't surrender to the NWO we will dog you wherever you go after you leave here. We will soon invade Discord and make your lives miserable! If you try to stop us, and not join us, I will keel you!

First time in a very long time I haven't checked the forums and BAM, it's getting shut down. Well, been around here for over 20 years. I think 1997 when this all came about for me? So, almost 25 years. Yikes!

It's been a splash folks - and I'll see you all on the Discord side. Same ID.

:icon_salute3:

Wow, I guess I stopped by just in the nick of time!

It's been years, and I'm actually surprised the forums were still up.

I was rummaging through some old articles I wrote for here back in the early 2000's, and thought I'd stop by.

It's good to see a few familiar faces, but time marches on!

Hope all is well with y'all, Spectre Out...

Ah, my faithful servants.

How well you have served me.

We now see the end of this puny resistance site.

Soon, we will see the end of all resistance and the world will be ours.

We shall meet at our secret installation and discuss plans for their final defeat.

Oh, too bad about Fick.

I checked his records, it seems he failed to receive his monthly booster shot.

I am certain that he is now one of the statistics of our pandemic.

Oh, well, you know what they say.

You cannot make a new world order without breaking a Fick or two.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:12 PM, The Dude said:

LOL!  Those were the days, Doug.  Maybe when we're all retired, we can once again take to the virtual Slot in pursuit of the Flying Representatives of the East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.   I'd love that.

Now and then I do try to keep proficient in War Thunder (which Critter plays).  Getting some time in with the Viggen.  Kinda fun, a 60-year-old geezer holding his own against a bunch of kids online.  If they only knew!

And yes, I am manfully regretful! 😂