COMBATSIM Forum

Farewell to CSim

Stans

Friends, Simians,

Today marks the end for the CombatSim forums, it is a sad day for me, probably a sad for others too, but what a journey it has been.  These forums have been my "home" on the internet for about two decades.  Even though I am active on a number of websites, CombatSim was always "home".  It is where I started my day and frequently ended my day.  This is where I made online friends and that is something that I cannot say for other sites.  I may never get to meet my online friends in-person, but they have become a part of my life.  It was fun to joke with them.  Sometimes argue, as family members sometimes disagree with each other.  Sometimes to grieve with them, because that is what friends do for friends.

These forums brought me many hours of enjoyment.  Reading Old Guy's stories.  Wow!  Some of his tales kept me on the edge of my chair.  He has a real talent for weaving intricate plots, then adding twists to those plots and endings that came as a surprise.  Participating in ad-lib stories, one of which grew to such a huge size that it was blamed for completely crashing the server in the early 2000's.  Many weekends spent posting music videos and telling jokes.  Verbally sparring with imagined characters.  And, of course, the daily morning weather.  So many memories.  

CombatSim was also home to the virtual VMF-124.  After a computer upgrade and installation of Il2: Pacific Fighters and Teamspeak, I got to fly online for the first time and connect some voices to the names.  To date, the virtual VMF-124 is the only online, multi-player group in which I have participated.  Plenty of hours spent flying the F4U in a virtual arena of aerial combat and plenty of fun.

Good times.

But all good things eventually come to an end and now is the time for the CSim forums to come to their end.  I am sad to see them go, but as these forums slowly fade into the electronic ether, the memories will remain for a lifetime.  Thanks to Donnie and Doug for their tireless effort keeping the forums alive and functioning.  Thanks to all the members of the virtual VMF-124 that I had the opportunity and honor to fly with.  By the way, I still have my VMF-124 ball cap.  Thanks to all of my CSim family for making this a warm, welcoming, comforting home on the information super highway.  I am honored to have been a part of the CombatSim family and the CombatSim family will forever be a part of me.

Given the nature of these forums and the number of veterans who have been here, I think this video is a fitting farewell as we lay the CombatSim forums to rest.

Signing off for the last time,
Stans

Lovely farewell tribute, Stans.

Did you beat Donnie in the total post count department?

If so, you can come down to the bunker and claim your prize ... it's a pair of clean-ish skivvies ... only one owner ... I think the faded name tag says "fick" or something like that.

lol.

And remember, we aren't gone, just mutated ... into that "temporary" half-way house of a discord detox server ... I wonder how long that will last, huh?

Dude and Stans hear a slowly squeaking noise coming down the passage…..

The door bursts open---- well, actually the door slowly opens, pushed by the small front wheels of a wheelchair. This is followed by the scuffed and dusty points of an old pair of boots and a moth-eaten blanket covering a pair of very thin and knobbly knees.

“Verdamt Shultz—be karefull- zhiz ersatz Panzer uf mein needz to last ein vhile longer…”

“Zhorry Herr Feldmarschall… Ich schtumbled…. Vhot terrible newz…. Zhey are…”“Ja- closing down zhe Alten Hauz…. No more entertainink schtoriez und vheater reportz unt newzpaperz about zhe vhar exploitz unt zhe secret room mit zhe babez….”

“Ach Himmel….”

“No more Donzter, Schtanz, Gunny, Mane Raptorz, Whizkid, Bilko, Herr Forum Feuhrer…..”

“It iz not vhort livink any more…”

Slowly the rest of the wheelchair emerges- revealing a bedraggled figure with a stubble beard and a bony head covered by an old Field Marshall cap. The chair is pushed by an equally old man in a very old German uniform.

“Ach – Guten Tag mein Herren--- zhiz iz zho zhad… it vhoz vhot vhe lived för many Jahren—all zhe friendshipz unt zhupport during diffkult timez unt all zhe fun unt lafter…”

“Ja- zhad indeed mein Feldmarchall…”

“Shultz…”

“Ja mein Feldmarschall…”

“Take me to zhe Kourtyard… zhe zhun iz only rizink now—it iz a new day…”

In a turnaround manoeuvre taking almost three minutes to complete, the pair shuffles back down the passage and out towards the garden door, where the sunlight is only now painting a brightening picture on the opposite wall…

It quiets down…. Even the birds stopped singing…

A single shot rings out….

A minute later another shot…..

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Edwin Rommel said:

The door bursts open---- well, actually the door slowly opens, pushed by the small front wheels of a wheelchair. This is followed by the scuffed and dusty points of an old pair of boots and a moth-eaten blanket covering a pair of very thin and knobbly knees.

“Verdamt Shultz—be karefull- zhiz ersatz Panzer uf mein needz to last ein vhile longer…”

“Zhorry Herr Feldmarschall… Ich schtumbled…. Vhot terrible newz…. Zhey are…”“Ja- closing down zhe Alten Hauz…. No more entertainink schtoriez und vheater reportz unt newzpaperz about zhe vhar exploitz unt zhe secret room mit zhe babez….”

“Ach Himmel….”

“No more Donzter, Schtanz, Gunny, Mane Raptorz, Whizkid, Bilko, Herr Forum Feuhrer…..”

Slowly the rest of the wheelchair emerges- revealing a bedraggled figure with a stubble beard and a bony head covered by an old Field Marshall cap. The chair is pushed by an equally old man in a very old German uniform.

“Ach – Guten Tag mein Herren--- zhiz iz zho zhad… it vhoz vhot vhe lived för many Jahren—all zhe friendshipz unt zhupport during diffkult timez unt all zhe fun unt lafter…”

“Shultz…”

“Ja mein Feldmarschall…”

In a turnaround manoeuvre taking almost three minutes to complete, the pair shuffles back down the passage and out towards the garden door, where the sunlight is only now painting a brightening picture on the opposite wall…

Zhe Feldmarschall und hiz loyal zardjent az vell?  Zhis ist tvruly zhe ende.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:54 AM, Edwin Rommel said:

“Ach Himmel….”

“Shultz…”

“Ja mein Feldmarschall…”

😱😢