Nursing home bodies removed

Donster

Teams removing 30 bodies found in nursing home

This to me proves that the mayor of New Orleans should STFU and quit blaming everyone else for any mistakes that have been made in this tragedy, and look at himself and the city. Why were these elderly not evacutated? FEMA, the Army, GWB or the National Guard are not to blame here. It is the city and the nursing home itself that should share the blame for this. :angry:

Yes I am mad about this discovery. No excuse for it whatsoever. Those people are paying to live in that facility to be protected and cared for. Not left to drown. :angry:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want your blood pressure to go up even higher? Go read this...Hell, for those of you who won't take the time to click, I'll paste it!

Louisana State Government blocked Red Cross from Superdome

Must read of the day: Hugh Hewitt interviews Fox News Channel's Major Garrett about the Louisiana State Government blocking the Red Cross from accessing the Superdome.

Entire transcript of interview at Radio Blogger. Here's just the opener:

Major Garrett: Well, the Red Cross, Hugh, had pre-positioned a literal vanguard of trucks with water, food, blankets and hygiene items. They're not really big into medical response items, but those are the three biggies that we saw people at the New Orleans Superdome, and the convention center, needing most accutely. And all of us in America, I think, reasonably asked ourselves, geez. You know, I watch hurricanes all the time. And I see correspondents standing among rubble and refugees and evacuaees. But I always either see that Red Cross or Salvation Army truck nearby. Why don't I see that?

Hugh Hewitt: And the answer is?

MG: The answer is the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security, that is the state agency responsible for that state's homeland security, told the Red Cross explicitly, you cannot come.

Wow. Un-freakin-believable.

Posted by Blackfive | September 08, 2005 | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/3147531

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Louisana State Government blocked Red Cross from Superdome:

Comments

I could understand keeping the Red Cross and other organizations out of New Orleans IF there was an implementable and ongoing effort to evacuate people from the dome and other loacations. But there wasn't, so keeping out aid from those people still stranded and likely to be stranded beyond the limits of existing supplies amounts to attempted murder on a huge scale. When this whole mess gets stabilized, I hope the people of Louisiana get som answers on this.

Posted by: Chris Van Dis | Sep 8, 2005 11:24:24 AM

Major Garrett’s story ---the blocking of Red Cross aid--- is a HUGE story. But it doesn’t answer the next obvious question:

Why wasn't the Superdome and the Convention Center evacuted sooner?

The answer is security… more specifically security that was the SOLE responsibility of the state of Louisiana and NO.

Here’s Lt. Gen. H. Steven Blum, chief, National Guard Bureau on Saturday 9/3/05 with the details:

“We waited until we had enough force in place to do an overwhelming force. Went in with police powers, 1,000 National Guard military policemen under the command and control of the adjutant general of the State of Louisiana, Major General Landreneau, yesterday shortly after noon stormed the convention center, for lack of a better term, and there was absolutely no opposition, complete cooperation, and we attribute that to an excellent plan, superbly executed with great military precision. It was rather complex. It was executed absolutely flawlessly in that there was no violent resistance, no one injured, no one shot, even though there were stabbed, even though there were weapons in the area. There were no soldiers injured and we did not have to fire a shot.

Some people asked why didn't we go in sooner. Had we gone in with less force it may have been challenged, innocents may have been caught in a fight between the Guard military police and those who did not want to be processed or apprehended, and we would put innocents' lives at risk. As soon as we could mass the appropriate force, which we flew in from all over the states at the rate of 1,400 a day, they were immediately moved off the tail gates of C-130 aircraft flown by the Air National Guard, moved right to the scene, briefed, rehearsed, and then they went in and took this convention center down…

The delay was in, if you want to call it a delay. I really don't call it a delay, I'll be honest about that. When we first went in there law enforcement was not the highest priority, saving lives was. You have to remember how this thing started. Before the hurricane hit there were 5,000 National Guardsmen in Mississippi and 5,000 National Guardsmen -- excuse me. Let me correct the record. There were 2,500 National Guardsmen in Mississippi and almost 4,000 National Guardsmen in Louisiana that were sheltered and taken out of the affected area so as soon as the storm passed they could immediately go into the area and start their search and lifesaving work, and stand up their command and control apparatus, and start standing up the vital functions that would be required such as providing food, water, shelter and security for the people of the town. So it was phased in. There was no delay.

The real issue, particularly in New Orleans, is that no one anticipated the disintegration or the erosion of the civilian police force in New Orleans. Once that assessment was made, that the normal 1500 man police force in New Orleans was substantially degraded, which contributed obviously to less police presence and less police capability, then the requirement became obvious and that's when we started flowing military police into the theater.

Two days ago we flowed 1400 military policemen in. Yesterday, 1400 more. Today 1400 more. Today there are 7,000 citizen soldiers -- Army National Guard, badge-carrying military policemen and other soldiers trained in support to civil law enforcement -- that are on the streets, available to the mayor, provided by the governor to the mayor to assist the New Orleans police department…

Q: General, you mentioned a disintegration of the New Orleans Police Department. Do you know how many officers are still on duty?

GEN. BLUM: I would rather not say. I think you'd be better to refer that question to the mayor of New Orleans. I have my own estimate. I would say they are significantly degraded and they have less than one-third of their original capability.

Q: So is it fair to say it is the National Guard that's keeping law and order in New Orleans?

GEN. BLUM: No. As long as there's one uniformed police officer in the city of New Orleans, we will send as many National Guard soldiers to augment, support and work in support of that lone law enforcement officer as necessary. So if hypothetically there's only one left, who's in charge? It's still that lone police officer supported by the National Guard in their role as military support to law enforcement.

We are not in the lead. We have no need nor intention of imposing martial law or having the military police the United States of America.

Q: What happened to the other police, general?

GEN. BLUM: Again, that can be best addressed, but what was told to me by the Mayor day before yesterday is many of them lost their homes, many of them lost ability to get to the precinct, many of them who did show up found what they were dealing with so overwhelming and dangerous or threatening to them as an individual that they made the personal decision to not risk their life until the situation made more sense to them. That was an individual decision, it was not the police chief's decision or the mayor's decision. I think that the mayor and police chief are working right now to reconstitute the New Orleans Police Department, but that question would much better be addressed to them for detail.”

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/200...50903-3850.html

Posted by: Reg Jones | Sep 8, 2005 11:31:07 AM

It’s understandable as to why the Red Cross was prevented from entering the Astrodome. It simply wasn’t secure and the potential for more violence was significant. This is a HUGE wake up call to communities with large gang and criminal populations. Neighborhoods have got to stop letting the anarchists intimidate them and start holding the local law enforcement accountable by reporting them.

Ya'll need to start reading Commander Salamander and Blackfives blogs more often. These dudes know their stuff, think the problem through, and research. The milbloggers are seriously into a good intel net, guys, and they come up with stuf days before anyone else in the media come out without, unless the cameraman trips over the story.

Boats

I'll add some more to your frustration level...from Froggy Ruminations:

Everybody in this world has to rely on something or someone in order to survive. The choice that each of us makes when deciding who or what we do put our trust in is an important one. In the Gulf Coast this decision has proven to mean the difference between life and death.

New Orleans was declared a disaster area by President Bush days BEFORE the storm even made landfall, and it was at his urging that the Mayor of New Orleans declared a MANDATORY evacuation of the city. Once the decision was made to make the evacuation mandatory, the City of New Orleans had the OBLIGATION to provide resources to transport those citizens who were too ill, elderly, or vulnerable to get themselves to safe harbor. As we now know, the City and the State of Louisiana completely and utterly failed in their duty to their own citizens. It is a basic tenet of disaster relief that agencies must evacuate rescue vehicles and critical supplies from the affected area so that they are available for use in the aftermath. This did not happen. In addtion to these buses, city firetrucks, police cars, and other critical life saving tools were left to the elements and are now useless to help anyone.

Leaving aside the people who did heed the warnings, let’s discuss those who decided to stay behind. I can understand why someone would not want to leave their home despite the awareness of New Orleans’ unique vulnerabilities and disaster potential. What I cannot comprehend is the mindset that leads those people to somehow expect that someone else is going to provide them with food, water, diapers, formula, and their medications. FEMA guidelines state that victims of disasters should be able to sustain themselves for a minimum of 72 hours but “preferably a week”. That this would be prudent should be clear to anyone whether FEMA says so or not. This seemingly natural inclination to take responsibility for one’s own life, health, and financial security is shockingly absent in large portions of our society. This is not a crisis driven response, it is a perpetual state of being.

During times of normalcy the “safety net” while bursting at the seams, supports a vast portion of our citizenry at a subsistence level. This support while intended to be compassionate is in practice a form of enslavement. This dependence which has been cultivated over many years is now revealed in the starkest possible light, and it is heartbreaking to witness. The people languishing last week on a thousand street corners and freeway onramps seem to be waiting in vain for George Bush to personally pluck them out, dust them off, send them through the line at Hometown Buffet, and deposit them at the Holiday Inn. This description does not perfectly capture the essence of any individual, but I think it aptly describes the refugees as a group. It is especially painful to watch these people’s illusions of external support shattered so decisively under conditions that can only be described as inhuman. I do not begrudge them one ounce of frustration, fear, or anxiety, it’s just that much of this horrific experience was completely unnecessary.

On the rhetorical front, these issues are being cast somehow as a racist plot to destroy the black people of New Orleans. I saw Jesse Jackson on TV say about the impromptu refugee camp he visited with a film crew on I-10, “This is the hull of a slave ship.” Race hustlers like Jackson and Al Sharpton cravenly use the terror of their people in a state of crisis to perpetuate their own “honorary” positions as “leaders” in the community. This is done by shifting the blame for their plight from the mindset of victimhood and dependence to evil white Republicans like the President who in the execrable words of Kanye West, “…doesn’t care about black people” and who gave authorities, “permission to go down there and shoot us.” (h/t SixMeat)

Perhaps this time the survivors will come to realize that it was their own who betrayed them. They have been sold program after program by the politicians that they have elected, but there is no program conceived by man that can protect someone from a hurricane. The politicians responsible for this nightmare were elected by these pitiable people, and turned they their backs on them at the first opportunity. Jeff Goldstein is hoping for a dialogue to take place in this country by which identity politics can finally be exposed for the soul stealing scam that it is. I just hope that after this is all said and done, the lesson learned will be that when the chips are down don’t look for Uncle Sam, look in the mirror.

http://froggyruminations.blogspot.com/

Boats

Thanks Boats...my blood pressure is as high as ever! <_< I get the image of those elderly people, and I think of my mother and the condition she was in during her last days, and I think if she would of had to try and keep from drowning...it makes me mad, frustrated and makes me want to cry for those people. And yet, it's Bush's fault. It's FEMA's fault (Insert dripping sarcasm here). Lord I want off this planet. :angry:

I just hope that after this is all said and done, the lesson learned will be that when the chips are down don’t look for Uncle Sam, look in the mirror.

Never happen as long as some folks insist that the federal government owes them something.

Lord I want off this planet.  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe not off the planet Donnie. Hey Red, has Australia still got that policy that you can immigrate if you have a viable skill? Need a fairly good cop?

many of them who did show up found what they were dealing with so overwhelming and dangerous or threatening to them as an individual that they made the personal decision to not risk their life until the situation made more sense to them.

This is total BS, they're ****ing cops and that's their job. The NOPD had a bad reputation even before the hurricane hit, now...wouldn't want one of them around. Yeah I know there are probably some good NOPD cops, probably some very good ones, but for the most part I wouldn't trust them if I ever went to New Orleans. That is if there even is a New Orleans in the future.

Need a fairly good...ummm...well...erm...well crap.

Okay if you marry an Aussie you get to stay right? So I only have one question...do you have any Men's Warehouse clothing stores in the country? If so, in like Flynn baby.

:D

(long story)

Thanks Boats...my blood pressure is as high as ever!  <_<  I get the image of those elderly people, and I think of my mother and the condition she was in during her last days, and I think if she would of had to try and keep from drowning...it makes me mad, frustrated and makes me want to cry for those people. And yet, it's Bush's fault. It's FEMA's fault (Insert dripping sarcasm here). Lord I want off this planet.  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Donnie, do a little research, and find exactly what FEMA is. You'll find out that FEMA has around 2,500 employees. All of them are in an advisory capacity to local and state governments, and to act as a coordination interface between these bodies and the federal government. FEMA is not an army of disaster prevention and assistance people just waiting for the next big one. Responsibility for disasters start right at the local level, and in cases like Katrina, the legal framework is set down so that the state can request the federal government to step in and manage the problem. What happened in Lousiana, is that that sorry state doesn't like the Feds messing with it at all, and really didn't want a Republican administration showing the world how well and truly Baton Rouge and New Orleans politicians had screwed things up. The whole place is a cesspool of corruption, and it's just a damn shame the wrong people had to die for their sins.

Boats, who is STILL PISSED :angry:

Donnie, do a little research, and find exactly what FEMA is. You'll find out that FEMA has around 2,500 employees. All of them are in an advisory capacity to local and state governments, and to act as a coordination interface between these bodies and the federal government. FEMA is not an army of disaster prevention and assistance people just waiting for the next big one. Responsibility for disasters start right at the local level, and in cases like Katrina, the legal framework is set down so that the state can request the federal government to step in and manage the problem. What happened in Lousiana, is that that sorry state doesn't like the Feds messing with it at all, and really didn't want a Republican administration showing the world how well and truly Baton Rouge and New Orleans politicians had screwed things up. The whole place is a cesspool of corruption, and it's just a damn shame the wrong people had to die for their sins.

Boats, who is STILL PISSED :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I DO hope you don't think I beleive it's Bush's or FEMA's fault. I agree with you Boats 100%.

And yes, I am STILL PISSED too. :angry:

The blame game is in full swing with the mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisianna pointing their fingers at the Federal government. When it comes to blame, I always remember what my grandmother told me when I was a little boy; when you point your finger at someone else, you point three fingers back at yourself. She was a smart woman.

From one of the members of the Harpoon Users League List:

For all of you who blamed the federal government including me

This is a post from a fellow over in Merritt Is, FL, a reporter who's been researching what went on before the storm hit:

I think all of Nagin's pomp and posturing is going to bite him hard in the near future as the lies and distortions of his interviews are coming to light.

On Friday night before the storm hit, Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center took the unprecedented action of calling Nagin and Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of New Orleans and they said they'd take it under consideration. This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was destroyed.

President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his advisors and administrators drafting all of the paperwork required for a state to request federal assistance (and not be in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act or having to enact the Insurgency Act).

Just before midnight Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to sign the request papers so the federal government and the military could legally begin mobilization and call up.

He was told that they didn't think it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet. After the President's final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to discuss the political ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was decided that if they allowed federal assistance it would make it look as if they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.

Saturday before the storm hit the President again called Blanco and Nagin requesting they please sign the papers requesting federal assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area, and begin mandatory evacuation.

After a personal plea from the President, Mayor Nagin agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be a full mandatory evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign the papers requesting and authorizing federal action.

In frustration the President declared the area a national disaster area before the state of Louisiana did so he could legally begin some advanced preparations. Rumor has it that the President's legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal aid before the federal government can move into state with troops - but that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it was called into question to use before the disaster.

Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to New Orleans for levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a marina and support the gambling ships.

Toss in the investigation that will look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal government for funding and published on the city's website was never implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any planning - though the document implies that they were.

The suffering people of New Orleans need to be asking some hard questions as do we all, but they better start with why Blanco refused to even sign the multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining states.

Or maybe ask why Nagin keeps harping that the President should have commandeered 500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation busses - but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.

This is a sad time for all of us to see that a major city has all but been destroyed and thousands of people have died with hundreds of thousands more suffering, but it's certainly not a time for people to be pointing fingers and trying to find a bigger dog to blame for local corruption and incompetence. Pray to God for the survivors that they can start their lives anew as fast as possible and we learn from all the mistakes to avoid them in the future.

Boats

Donnie, I have several blacks working on my crew, and six that are from NOLA. I've been pointing them to the right spots, and bringing to them news reports. Right now, every one of them is very pissed at Nagin and Blanco. I expect that a substantial number of those displaced will also have the same feelings, especially if they have access to the Net, and see the difference between the media reporting and the data miners and blogs on the Net.

I said back in 1994, that one day, the Net would become a powerful force in politics, and mostly to the detriment of established politicians, once widespread access to the net becomes a reality. Ten years ago, minority access to the Net was minimal. This situation is being remedied quickly, and as minorites gain more access and education into the means of mining the Net for information, things will soon become very uncomfortable to those folks in power, that have long been used to power, and keeping it by widespread use of disinformation.

Power to the People! Long Live the Net! ;)

Boats

More salt for the wounds......

Several hundred San Francisco Police Officers have volunteered to respond to the needed areas where looting and the lack of control is popping up. This was done approximately one week ago. The last rumor was that they would be required to take their vacation time to do so and as of today, no one has even authorized the leave so they could go. Remember, this is the city that cares and knows how.......

We have thousands of professionals willing to go, but there is way too much PC going around to allow it to happen.

These so called leaders should be brought up on Negligent Homicide charges for every time it can be documented that they refused help prior to the deaths of their citizens. :angry:

More salt for the wounds......

Several hundred San Francisco Police Officers have volunteered to respond to the needed areas where looting and the lack of control is popping up.  This was done approximately one week ago.  The last rumor was that they would be required to take their vacation time to do so and as of today, no one has even authorized the leave so they could go.  Remember, this is the city that cares and knows how.......

We have thousands of professionals willing to go, but there is way too much PC going around to allow it to happen. 

These so called leaders should be brought up on Negligent Homicide charges for every time it can be documented that they refused help prior to the deaths of their citizens.  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must not be enough gay married people in the Katrina stricken areas eh? <_<

Yeah Boats the Feds really can't do anything unless the states ask for Federal help, it's the whole seperation of powers thingmie. Now once this gets out you'll have people clamoring to change that so the Federal government can unilaterially decide when they're going to act in a state, it'll be a popular opinion too I bet, but I don't think that's such a good idea either. The solution in my opinion is to keep that facet of things as they are but...elect people who aren't idiots. A lot of people get riled up over who the President happens to be but the truth of the matter is any city's mayor and state's governor has more importance over your wellbeing than the President ever will in 90% of the worst case scenarios that pop up. But I know people here who don't even know who our Governor is, then again I know even more people who can't even remember how he managed to get elected, I'm one of them but that's a weird story.

People like Sharpton and Jackson will always go out of their way to make it a race issue. It's their stock in trade, but what's more disconcerting is seeing politicians on the Left actually agreeing with people like those two. I don't know if it's because they really do think the government is racist or if they're just using it to make political hay. I hope it's the latter because it'd show just a lack of good taste and morals rather than a complete break with reality. But hey, who knows.

Mississippi and Alabama got very hard hit too, but that gets lost in the shuffle because of the situation in New Orleans, and they didn't turn into anarchy zones even though they lost miles and miles of towns. Why? They didn't wait for the Feds to come and save them, they implemented their emergency plans and they had their Guard out before the storm hit. That shows responsibility and preparedness, something that seems sorely lacking in Louisiana at every level. Governors Bob Riley and Haley Barbour should be applauded for their actions, while Blanco should have to answer some very hard questions about her actions in Louisiana.

The problem is now there's even a catfight on Capitol Hill about who should investigate it, which is sickening since we don't even have any idea yet what the final death toll is going to be but some people want to start a "special commission" yesterday to start blaming people. There's plenty of blame to go around, mostly in my opinion at the local and state level, but some Federal but can't we at least get the mess cleaned up before they start trying to hog the cameras with their pet theories? This is what happens when a huge chunk of Congress is made up of former lawyers. <_<

You start changing the laws the laws and what you'll come up with is a pre-War between the States scenario. Eventually, even tho I beg heaven to forbid it, the liberal Dems will get back in the White House. When that occurs, if the laws have been changed, that will give them a free highway to go in and do whatever they want to the states. Sorry, that aint something this federal employee will back, support or enforce. It's all about States Rights there as I see it.

Yesterday Schatt? Hillary was crowing last Friday that "federal elected officials need to be held accountable" and that a "special congressional investigation" be stood up to get to the bottom of "Bush's failure of New Orleans".

As for the Left, it's both. They want to cry that conservatives have "lost touch" with America. I say, No, it is they that have lost touch and living in thier little fantasy worlds and they are using this for their own political gains.

Boats, anybody with any education can tell the difference between it raining and somebody pissin on your leg.