Video Card install...sober enough to try, but...

JClark

It's all straightforward. Unplug your rig, pull out the old card, bung in the new card, following the instructions in the manual. plug it all back in and switch on (I recommend leaving the covers of first time, incase you need to go back in and check the installation).

Your rig should detect the card straight away, and run PnP setup. I recommend cancelling this, then running the install CD which came with the card.

Reboot.

Check the web for driver updates.

Yup...did it twice, both times, had nothing on monitor. Took new card out, had video again. Last time I put an ATI card in, it was freakin' misery. Reading install guide again, it's telling me to update the drivers for the AGP mobo...which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, since I'll be uninstalling the onboard video. Should have let someone with brains install this, I'm just a dumb squid :lol:

Boats

Uninstall your video drivers, and reboot. go into the BIOs and check that the onboard video is disabled.

Install your new video card as before, and that should make it go. If it doesn't, it's very possible that there's a fault with the card. I've NEVER had the kind of problems you appear to be having. :huh:

Normally, hit the delete key during the memory check. Keep it pressed down to be sure, its easy to miss the target. ;)

If you're not used to messing around in the BIOS, just look for the references to onboard video, and don't touch anything else. Possible answers to the question "I wonder what this does?" range from "Hmmm, Nothing, apparrently", to "Oh Shlt".

If plugging your monitor in doesn't fix it (maybe you were kidding), make sure you have any extra power needs hooked up. A lot of them run off a molex connector too. :thumbsup:

Guys, did everything mentioned in this thread...including hooking the monitor jack to the new video card (can't believe I missed this one!) Still can't get anything but a black screen. I made a restore point before I did all this, so I haven't lost anything, but boy, this is aggrivating as hell!

Any input is highly welcomed!

Boats

Maybe I missed it in the thread here, but what kinda vid card is it? This is gonna sound out there, but bear with me, is there a place on the vid card for a power cord? You know like you would hook up to the hard drive?

Crap..no joy...another black screen...BIOS showed nada about video at all. Sucks to be a puter retard...guess I'm just a point and click kinda guy.

Boats

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There should be a setting in the system BIOS for onboard video. It must be disabled. If not, there must be a jumper switch on the mobo itself.

No place for a molex to go...I'll look in BIOS again(shudder) I'd really hate to find out I gotta search for a pin on that freakin' mobo...and I got an ATI Catylist 256 meg, 400hz side bus (same side bus as my PC)

Gonna go to sleep, not think about this expensive thing sitting there, along with IL-2, and Pacific Fighters still in the shrink wrap :(

Boats, who at some point in time, would really like to see if I can flame Ronin...

If you have not already done this, try this.

Boot the computer, uninstall your video card drivers, you may need to use Driver Cleaner Pro to totally eliminate them.

Go into bios and disable the onboard video or turn off the computer and open up the case and use the dip switches or jumpers, the information should be in the instruction booklet that came with the motherboard.

Now install your new video card, check to make sure it is firmly seated in the proper slot and hook up the external power connector if it has one.

Close up the case and fire it up, connect your monitor cable to the port on the new video card, it should work come on and ask to install the driver for the new video card.

That is, unless you have a motherboard that is not capable of being upgraded, that is, no AGP or PCI express slot.