Forgive me Skipper...

Stans

for I have sinned. Last night I grew tired of practicing traps in the Corsair. I can usually make a successful trap now, but I still need a good straight shot for final in order to get a good trap. Anyway, growing tired of traps, I donned.....~gulp~......my USAAF flight suit and...... strapped myself into the cockpit of a ............P-51B Mustang. :o

I tried out the single mission in which the P-51 squadron is tasked with intercepting a supply train. I must admit that sitting in a P-51 felt good, as I have tons of stick time with P-51's in EAW. I took off, time X8 to the target area, and found my intended target. I ordered the squadron to attack the train, they did, I did, and I found a "bonus target". There was an anti-aircraft cannon on the front of the train. A head on pass with guns blazing ended that target. I ordered my squadron back to base as I headed for home. I was credited with 5 rail cars destroyed, mission successful. :thumbsup::)

In this flight I must say that Oleg did a good job with the European front. It really looked like the photos of Europe. The P-51 handled as I expected. The flak and AA fire was as expected. It felt, other than the lack of planes in the air (I always used the extra squads feature in EAW), improved graphics, and the ability to use Track IR, very much like EAW. Now why couldn't Oleg keep this high of a standard for Pacific Fighters? Oh, yeah, that's right, he never really wanted a Pacific campaign for IL2. :(

I forgive you Stans, I love that plane, but it has more to do with its streamlined looks than its survivability.

Unfortunately for you, I went to get that chain from back behind the revetments to pull a jeep out of some sand down on the beach and its missing. I think Gunny has hold of it. Better run.

Always have loved Mustangs. (Duh, look what I drive!)

My favorite Pony is the P-51C, with the Malcolm Hood. Some pilots preferred it to the P-51D, and wouldn't make the switch. IIRC, the B and C models carried more ammo per gun than the D. I forget who it was that said if you couldn't hit anything with four .50s, you probably wouldn't be able to hit anything with six .50s, either.

Back when VMF-124 was flying "Thundercats" I really got attached to the P-47. Never had been much of a Jug fan, but once I started booming and zooming in that bird I developed a keen appreciation for its durability and firepower. If I had to fly into combat over Europe in 1944, I'd probably prefer a Thunderbolt.

Combine a P-51 with a P-47 and you get an F4U. Nothing compares to a Corsair ... :thumbsup: