I Am a Model of Restraint

Joker

Do you smell,and I mean,smell,a Lawyers hand in this? I sure do! What a bunch of venal stupidity. Can't you just see them sitting around the table at a Monday morning meeting and this guy raises his hand? "Sir,oh sir,I had the greatest idea this weekend.....................!"

Okay so old school generalizations about Russia are uncalled for but it's okay to bash the USA in 2/3 of the posts?

That's just great. The US is the "white man" of the world it seems, you can make any kind of jokes or vicious slams about us that you want but say something (no matter how true) about any other country and all of a sudden you're a nationalist idiot.

I do so love the world... :rolleyes:

OK, so we're going to blame the aircraft folks now huh? Let's not DARE put any blame on The God of all that is Flight Sims. I'm not going to bother reading anymore of this crap. Here's the long and short of it: Oleg didn't want to do the Pac in the first place. Big Bad Greedy Grumman comes along and demands money because Ubi put their name on the box. Oleg runs away and in spite will not finish what was started, and uses Big Bad Greedy Grumman as an excuse to drop the project he didn't want in the first place. There, did I cover all the bases?

OK, so we're going to blame the aircraft folks now huh?  Let's not DARE put any blame on The God of all that is Flight Sims.  I'm not going to bother reading anymore of this crap.  Here's the long and short of it:  Oleg didn't want to do the Pac in the first place.  Big Bad Greedy Grumman comes along and demands money because Ubi put their name on the box.  Oleg runs away and in spite will not finish what was started, and uses Big Bad Greedy Grumman as an excuse to drop the project he didn't want in the first place.  There, did I cover all the bases?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely, Skip!

I took umbrage at the "celebrates greed" remark, too. Yeah, I used to say the same thing when I worked there, but that's different. Loyality is a funny thing. "He who has shed ink with me" and all that ...

Well, those idiots are so afraid that their gonna have to pay another .10 cents for their 50 dollar game they can't see straight. But then to blame it on the contractors or the US is beyond stupid. But it is that group over there we're talking about.

Well, those idiots are so afraid that their gonna have to pay another .10 cents for their 50 dollar game they can't see straight.  But then to blame it on the contractors or the US is beyond stupid.  But it is that group over there we're talking about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just a handy excuse for them to bash the USA and our evil capitalist economy, that's all. Most of 'em are offended that there are even American aicraft in the game. Of course, most of 'em are offended that they have to work for a living, too -- those of 'em who aren't "students" on the dole.

Does a student on the dole make more money than I do?

If so, how do I get to be such an animal?

Do I actually have to attend classes?

Are there babes?

Just wondering.

:P

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does a student on the dole make more money than I do?

Well, if you amoratize the free hashish and methadone ...

If so, how do I get to be such an animal?

Stop bathing and you're well on your way.

Do I actually have to attend classes?

No, and you don't have to graduate, either. This is a lifetime commitment.

Are there babes?

How do you feel about underarm hair and unshaven legs?

hmm its my understanding its not just games .. its also scale models .. I want to build an M1114 uparmored hummer but supposedly they dont make them because of trademark/license issues .. whatever!!! this world is to freaking "money and politically correct" to enjoy even the simple pleasure of building a scale model ...

hmm its my understanding its not just games .. its also scale models .. I want to build an M1114 uparmored hummer but supposedly they dont make them because of trademark/license issues .. whatever!!! this world is to freaking "money and politically correct" to enjoy even the simple pleasure of building a scale model ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, CFran, and no argument there. Backstory to this present discussion is that Chief Designer Oleg Maddox, Commissar of the Flight Sim Gulag*, fabricated a copyright controversy as his reason for abandoning Pacific Fighters. The IL2 community has been blaming the USA ever since.

Plus, we're all feeling pissy.

* Used by permission, copyright 2005 Pennsylvania Punditry LLP

I am an Ayn Rand objectivist capitalist but I think there are too many protections on intellectual property. Much of this is virtual property afterall. A computer rendition of a plane or a plastic model of a car cannot compete with the actual products the company sells. Neither can be reverse engineered or modified to be suited to the purposes of the real product! And in the case of Grumman the product has been out of production for about 50 years.

They so should have stuck a config file in there with some close but phoney names we could tweak and if they wanted the files to be compatible online no matter what name was used, they could have assigned a little serial number to each model that the software uses to ID the skin etc.

like this:

Grouseman TGF Revenger [721]

then you edit it to:

Grumman TBF Avenger [721]

the computer still IDs it the same way based on the number in the line. I am no programmer but that would have been easy.

Plastic models can be done the same way with tradmark substitution I guess. It really is pretty stupid. these products are being immortalised and you'd think the companies would want to infiltrate our homes with images of their products!

Oh yeah, but I agree the quality of PF is sub par to FB and it does look like Oleg did not jump through the correct hoops other game makers do and now we will not ever get what was promissed.

They so should have stuck a config file in there with some close but phoney names we could tweak and if they wanted the files to be compatible online no matter what name was used, they could have assigned a little serial number to each model that the software uses to ID the skin etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Roger that, Baltar. Sports-themed computer games have been doing that for years, with player names.

Ever play the game Mafia? It did something neat, invented all these car manufacturers, each with different kinds of models and subtypes, and all the name data was on a very easy to find and edit .txt file. Before the game was even out there were lists on the internet on which names to change, both manufacturers and models to make them historically correct. The beautiful thing was the cars were perfectly modelled on actual '20s-'40s cars, so when you looked at a Whatever Model D it was obvious that it was a Ford Model A, change the .text file and there you go.

Not only weren't the devs sued over having damn near 100% accurate models on the outside, and the inside but their performance numbers were spot on. I even checked a Something Something which was actually a Pierce Arrow after the rename on the internet because I couldn't believe a car that big could have the kind of accelleration as it had in the game. Guess what. It did.

That's all anyone would have to do to get around the copyright thing, all the models were accurate, everyone knew which was a Model T and they could very easilly find what to rename the more obscure cars to. And there wasn't anything anyone could do about it.

But suggest that to the "purists" at the ubi pit and you'll get your head ripped off. They'd rather either whine about not having an Avenger or tell people to shut up and be grateful for what they got...than have an Avenger in there that could be renamed in less than 10 seconds on a .txt file. It's ridiculous.

Plus the game Mafia by itself is actually really good. ;) They appearently had no trouble from the gun manufacturers because the guns were all named correctly.

I have lost count of how many threads lately I've been in where some punk has climbed all over my arse at that forum..FWIW Joker I was right with you on a thread recently that got locked. It's like you can't say a damn thing wrong about the game without some sponging student getting on his high horse. Right pisses me off!

Ogs.

I think where Ubi screwed the pooch was when they put on the box, The Grumman this, the Chance Vought that, yadda yadda yadda. Even if some of the other games have used them, i.e. the one Rick had spoken of, Hearts of Iron II. The designation F4U, SBD, F6F, PBY, were all designations given by AirNav, not the manufacturer. Corsair, Hellcat, Catalina, etc. were names given to the aircraft by other countries, primarily the Brits, or the aircrews themselves. So here's a little clue for the God of All Sims and his publishers at Ubi, DON'T USE THE COMPANY NAME ON THE FRIGGIN BOX!

And I don't think it's a conspiracy theory Lee. I think its fact, he used this copyright whoya to dump the project he never wanted.

:edit: As long as he has a fan base that believes his shite don't stink, we'll never see anything but the crap you guys have seen. I had one topic locked after I posted a scathing comment at Ubi and that's been the last time I have posted in that pit. I will not stand to be censored because I don't believe that bastard walks on water. He is not the second coming of Christ or Bear Bryant so he can kiss my ass.

And I don't think it's a conspiracy theory Lee.  I think its fact, he used this copyright whoya to dump the project he never wanted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I expect that's about right, Skip.

Problem with Chief Designer Oleg is that he's a fine aerospace engineer but a piss-poor game designer.

Look at Silent Hunter III. That's how a campaign should be designed.

If UbiSoft has any brains at all, they're insisting the Flight Sim Gulag use some consulting talent for quality control on BoB. (Say, Damon Slye, Sid Meir, or Larry Holland.)

Of course, if UbiSoft had any brains at all, the copyright thing would never have become any sort of issue at all ...