NEW TOY!

cfrancisco

Spoke with the wife and she gave the A.O.K to get my new toy!! I got the go ahead to by an M1A aka civ version M-14 ... OOOOO BABY!!! cant wait ... heres a pic of what its going to become after I buy the SOPMOD stock etc for it..

troy_dropin.jpg

HERE BAMBI HERE BOY I GOT SOMETHING FOR YA!!! :D;)

Patton is dead he did not know of the newer gear to come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Patton would have approved of 20 rnd box mags, a working flash suppressor, and a shorter round with the same ballistics! :D

Cfran, Springfield Armory sells a SOPMOD all ready to go from the factory. Once upon a time I had a conventionally stocked M1A with a scout scope on it, very nice rifle. My brother has a GI style one (minus select fire) :thumbsup:

SOCOMGENII.jpg

I think if you like picatinny rails, that is your stock. I'm not sure the pistol grip would be real comfortable on an M1A

Cfran buy a Corsair! :D

I only have two issues with the Garand: It's heavy and it announces when you are out of ammo by making a "pling" sound as it ejects the stripper clip. I have heard though that this had been turned to an advantage in CQB at lease once with a soldier tossing an empty clip on the pavement to fake out Germans who were waiting for the sound to rush the position.

The "ping" issue was never proven and let's face it, after being in and around buildings while fireing a rifle, can you really hear something as soft as the "ping" of the en-bloc clip being ejected? I've fired handguns and shotguns in the field without hearing protection and I couldn't hear much more than a ringing (which is now permanent) in my ears.

I have one, great rifle. When I'm at the range and standing well behind the firing line I can hear the ping, but then I'm behind the muzzle blast. If I were in front of the muzzle or in a building and did not have hearing protection, I kind of doubt that I would be able to hear much at all.

Shep, this is not just a hammer falling on an empty chamber it is a little clip that is tossed out of the receiver and clatters on a hard surface but yes Stans is right, if there is a lot going on, nobody is going to notice it. Could still be a liability is some situations though and the M-14 does not do that. It is a great rifle outside of confined areas. Besides in WWII you have Thompsons, M-1 Carbines and 1911s for close work.

I would think that if a soldier was really worried about the clanging of an empty clip he could just hang onto a few empties and then toss one onto a hard surface after firing off two or three shots and try to fool his target. The M14 (civilian M1A) was really an outgrowth and logical step from the M1. A shorter cartridge with a reduction of 200 fps velocity, detachable box magazine and shorter barrel.

The Italians (Beretta) modified a whole bunch of their M1's after WW II. They converted them to use the M14 magazine, rebarreled them to a shorter, 7.62 NATO barrel, the rifle was designated BM59. Once in a while one turns up for sale, usually at a very high price.

BM59 info link

The M1 Carbine was originally intended for tank crews, cooks, and anyone else who might need something more than a pistol, but didn't need a full battle rifle. It was never really popular as the light weight bullet travelling at modest velocity did not penetrate all that well and was not a good fight stopping round. It also had a reputation for mediocre to poor accuracy, groups of 8 inches or more at 100 yards was not uncommon. The stock 15 round magazine had no provision to hold the bolt open after the last round had been fired. The later 30 round magazine would hold the bolt open, but as soon as the magazine was removed, the bolt slammed shut. It was relatively cheap and simple to produce in mass quantities. Yeah, I have an M1 carbine too. All I can say is that you can shoot it all day long with nothing between the stock and your shoulder but a cotton T-shirt and you will not get bruised.

Nice piece bro

I had an M1 carbine made by underwood type writer in 1944 for the US marine Tank corp.all oringinal and in mint condition.In the canadian goverments infinite wisdom they made it restricted weapon because of the barrel lenght so I sold it before it became law to a very nice gentamen collector in Florida,to this day I am sorry.

Yeah I used to have a M1 Carbine too, I think it was even an Underwood but not in good condition. Sorry to hear you had to sell it man.

Had a groovy Garand back in the 80's, and that stripper clip had a very distinct tonal quality.

It wasn't so much the hitting on the ground, but as it egressed the chamber area.

Alas, I also had to sell it, in the mid-90's, due to hard times. Really liked that mule kicker...