High tech question

Stans

What's involved in converting VHS-C tapes to something like MPEG? I've got video from last year's airshow and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is required or should I just take the tapes to someone who does this professionally. I was thinking that with the tapes converted to MPEG or some other movie format that I could save them to CD or DVD and capture some still shots.

Some of the better graphics cards allow you to connect your Video recorder to your PC-- you can then capture the tape onto your HD (VERY SPACE INTENSIVE) and convert it to any format needed through programs that comes with the graphics card.

I got the set-up bundeled with my Gainward GeForce 6800, but have not used it yet.

Found some answers at CNet. Converters are available for $100 or a bit less, will need also need a VCR with and S-video out jack and a minimum of 20 GB hard disc space and a DVD burner. I actually have one partition with 48 GB of available space, so that part is ok. Wonder what Santa can bring for Christmas?

Another possibility is your video camera. If you've got a recent model digital video camera you can use it as an A to D converter. I've got a Canon ZR-45 that works pretty well. But as you took video of last year's show with a VHS-C camera, I'm guessing that's what you've got to work with. Anyway, something to look into for the Christmas list.

If you just have one or two video tapes to convert, find someone in the yellow pages to do it for you. I had some movies that my father shot back in the 1950s converted to VHS tape about 20 years ago. Last month I took the tapes to a guy and he put each tape onto a DVD for $20. Now I can just dupe the DVDs if friends want copies.

If I planned on doing more conversions, I'd take Donnie's advice and get something so I could do the conversions on my own.