How do I convince my boss I need this?

Spectre_USA

As some may know, I am one of those pointy-headed Dell authorized repair gits.

We have 4-500 desk and laptop systems at our branches, and when they go bad, I get to rip

the guts out and get `em to ship me the parts. But I don't know how to justify the need for

one of these...

dellquad3.jpg

NVIDIA and Dell Showcase First-Ever Quad-SLI PC

The most extreme HD gaming experience is here with Quad NVIDIA® SLI™ technology

NVIDIA and Dell unveiled the first-ever Quad-SLI PC at the Consumer Electronics Show 2006. Taking its acclaimed SLI technology to the next level, NVIDIA introduced support for not one, not two, not three, but FOUR GPUs. Delivering the most extreme high definition gaming experience available on the PC, Quad SLI features four of NVIDIA's flagship GeForce® 7800 GTX GPUs with an NVIDIA nForce®4 SLI motherboard.

Imagine tearing through today’s most advanced PC games with an unheard of 41 gigapixels per second of raw graphics performance, 5.2 teraflops of compute power, 96 pixel pipes, and an astounding 2 GB of on-board graphics memory. Nothing can stop you when you have this kind of hardware on your side.

Now imagine yourself doing all of this at extreme HD resolutions with everything turned on. A Quad-SLI PC lets you run your favorite games at an unbelievably high resolution of 2560x1600 while maintaining silky smooth frame rates. In addition, support for a new 32x antialiasing mode and 16x anisotropic filtering enables stunning visuals.

Proving they can run with the big dogs like Voodoo and Alienware, Dell introduced their XPS 600 Renegade during Michael Dell's keynote. You're immediately drawn to the custom painted case courtesy of Mike Lavallee from Killer Paint, but it's what inside that matters most. Fired by a factory overclocked Intel Extreme Edition running at 4.26GHz, the Renegade fully supports four graphics cards. To be more specific, those zippy cards are NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 SLI cards; two fit in the PCI-Express slots and two more are slaved from those, each with 512MB of memory. Can you say super high res at mucho frames per second? Storage is a non-issue as Dell planned ahead with one 10,000 RPM 150GB drive and two 250GB drives running at 7,200 RPM. Dell expects this custom hardware available by end of the month and we're looking at the $4,000 to $7,000 range, depending on options. Not that there's room for more in this hot box, but what else could or would you add?

More on the above.

So, any good ideas on an excuse for a $7K rig?

If you have one, you'll be able to honestly tell irate customers: "Hey that software works just fine on my machine, are you sure you installed it right?"....Thus eliminating many unwanted service calls.

or

You will be able to increase the number of productive Freecell games played at work each day.

How about telling the wife "Honey,my boss told me that if I wanted to keep my job that it's absolutely essential that I have one of these rigs. He even hinted that I may get a raise next year if I can talk a few of the neighbors into buying one.You'd want that,wouldn't you,Hon?"..........................."Hon?"

Wrong boss Whizkid! I am still hobbling along on this ancient (5 year old rig) at home, ain't know

way that I could justify 4 - 7 grand to SWMBO. <_<

I am thinking Mane's "It run's on mine" angle may have a bit of merit. And HP is a generous

bunch, my wife worked for them for 10 years. I am sure CobraJ feels the same way... :D

Spec.....

Just think of the number of customers you can totally hornswoggle and confuse.

It would bring a whole new meaning to "Customer Support". :o:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And you can do it without a foreign accent!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

4 GPUs?!

I thought that the refresh rate of the monitor was the ultimate limit for framerates. I mean, your computer may be pumping X-gigs of frames per second, but if the monitor has a refresh rate of 72 Hz, then you'll only get 72 visual frames per second.

Tech nerds please clarify!

4 GPUs?!

I thought that the refresh rate of the monitor was the ultimate limit for framerates. I mean, your computer may be pumping X-gigs of frames per second, but if the monitor has a refresh rate of 72 Hz, then you'll only get 72 visual frames per second.

Tech nerds please clarify!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm no Tech Nerd, I only play one on the internet............ :P

I think they are talking of gigaPIXELS, not gigaframes.

At 2560x1600 res, that's a lot of pixels!! Now take that and mulitply by 72 FPS and you'll be into gigapixels in no time.

You know, a rig this size just might be able to play PF in total Perfect Settings, just might not though, it would be close I bet. <=============:sarcasm:

I WANT one! Shep, lend me 3000 quid mate?

Mind you, I think it rip it out of that case, and bung it in the mankiest old white box possible, take it to a LAN party, and tell everyone "This is what PF/Quake4/BoB looks like when you run it under UNIX..."

I'll bet that sucker draws more juice than a submerged refrigerator...and my guess is its already partially hydrated to deal with all that heat whew! You may have to add a small loan to the sale price to pay for the electric bill. :lol: