Cutaway picture of an F4U-1D

Stans

OOOh, nice picture. But it's another of those "shouldn't be free on the net" jobbies. I've got the book that that's from. Very nice. Wanatabe does some VERY nice work. One of the other pics is one similar to this but without the color and with one of those numbered keys that identifies all the bits and pieces.

Book info is:

"The Great Book of WWII Airplanes," Ethell, Grinsell, Freeman, Anderton, Johnsen, Sweetman, Vanags-Baginskis, and Mikesh; Zokeisha Publications and Bonanza Books, 1984.

Lots of good Corsair info here as well as the same level of detail for 11 other planes. Probably out of print by now, but if you can find one, well worth it.

Nice pic,but one thing really scary,look at the fuel tank position. Over my legs? Ouch,hope I don't become a flamer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the very scarey plane design! Do not fly! Join IJN!

Rommel Ronin has not understand what you saying!

He say "flamer" :lol: If you become flamer you not allow in IJN any more! Be advise! Banzai!!!

Are those radiator intakes near the wing root correct? I thought they had more of a pronounced edge around them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Radiator!!!??? Radiator?

I hate to be pickey, but this sort of thing just makes me upset. Geez, here we go again.

Paddles, this engine is AIR COOLED, there is NO radiator!

The slots you are looking at are for carburetor air intakes and oil cooling. They are not bloody radiators!

:lol::lol::lol:

Radiator... mumble, mumble, mumble...

Radiator!!!???  Radiator? 

I hate to be pickey, but this sort of thing just makes me upset.  Geez, here we go again. 

Paddles, this engine is AIR COOLED, there is NO radiator!

The slots you are looking at are for carburetor air intakes and oil cooling.  They are not bloody radiators!

:lol:    :lol:  :lol:

Radiator...  mumble, mumble, mumble...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a radiator in Olegworld.

Thank you Neddie.

As these virtual Marines should know, Radial engines are, indeed, air cooled. Oil coolers,

always a bonus, but still. I did now want to point out the obvious as I figured they were maybe

looking to see who'd bite. So old Air Force war-horse, and I wasn't going to fall for it. :P

As to the fuel tank, I will revert to the radial situation. It doesn't much more bullet-proof

than one of those hunks o' rotating steel. In a head-on pass, only a lucky oblique shot would

catch the tank. Same at any angle.

What would be bad is one behind you as a Jap gets on your six. Not much protection there,

as you gyrate madly waiting for the FWOOSH noise. That spot looks OK, all things considered...

LOL

Actually I'm just trying to give Paddles a hard time.

The fuel tank location was very definately deliberate. It's right over the CG of the aircraft. That means that the aircraft's handling is not effected as fuel is used, unlike a certain other well known warbird that had a tank behind the pilot, causing the plane to be tail heavy when fully fuelled.

That means that the aircraft's handling is not effected as fuel is used, unlike a certain other well known warbird that had a tank behind the pilot, causing the plane to be tail heavy when fully fuelled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which in Olegworld can only be corrected by taking a 25% fuel load in that aircraft, I might add.