COMBATSIM Forum

Hunting Mode in OFF

Joker

So last night I flew an airbase defense mission with No. 8 RNAS Squadron in a Nieuport 17, January 1917. The patrol was fairly comic, as Tom Culden might say.

We circled around the base for awhile. Nothing much was happening. Bored, I decided to head east over the lines for a peek into Hunland.

Ah, the front, just as I'd always imagined it. Archie blossoming black in the sky, flashes on the ground from shelling, troops marching behind the trenches. Sighted several flights of friendly aircraft going about their business. It was just as if I were part of -- well, a world war.

:sarcasm: Imagine that -- and in a combat flight simulator! :sarcasm:

Finally spotted a Hun gasbag. Too tempting. Dove down and flamed the sausage. Caught some structural damage from Archie, and started leaking fuel. Landed just west of the lines, safe and sound in a repairable kite. Not that it matters --we'll have Sopwiths in a couple of months. Proper British crates and all.

Yeah, I'm liking this OFF stuff ... :D

Damn I can't wait until my copy of CFS3 arrives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DL'd all the OFF mods and patches over my Techies DSL connection today (also picked up the Korea Mod). The first mod (0.3) was listed on the site at 613 Mb's, but came in at 584Mb's. Anybody else notice that? A 30Mb diff seens a bit odd to be showing on the site.

Joker, are you playing a campaign or are these single missions?

How are the sticks controlled, via CFS3 or something within OFF?

Oh, I can't wait!!!!!! :anim_bounce::anim_bounce::anim_bounce::dancinguy:

Joker, are you playing a campaign or are these single missions?

How are the sticks controlled, via CFS3 or something within OFF?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Campaign, Mane. I don't think I've even touched a single mission, other than to check graphics tweaks. With me, it's all about the campaign.

I always play DID, except in my case it's more like DAL -- Dead A Lot. :)

Sticks seem to be controlled from CFS3. Bascially, OFF is just a campaign front end that calls CFS3 at runtime for missions. I'm using my trusty MS Precision Pro, and it does great. I'm sure any new HOTAS gear will work just fine.

Staggers, I think this OFF would be just your cuppa. Heartily recommended!

Very ironic, but very true. I'm glad I was tempted by the dark side and went and got the thing. Hell I had OFF downloaded before I even had CFS3...

The front lines are amazingly well done, when you get a few miles away from them you can see the beaten zone, and you can hear the crumping of the heavy artillery from quite a ways too. I'm flying with RNAS 8 too Lee, but I skipped to March I think it is of '17 so I started with a Sopwith Triplane, if I wanted to keep flying Neuports on a daily basis I would have continued my Esc Lafayette career and all...Sopwith Tripe: Nice plane!

For real fun fly over the trenches at about 100 feet...stay on the Brit side though. And you can see the splintered treetrunks, MGs firing over at the Huns, troops in trenches and the inevitable artillery barrages. Flying through a heavy arty barrage that's impacting just next to where you're flying is...interesting to say the least. ;)

I still hate attacking airfields and/or balloon bases, just way too many AAA guns and MGs around the places. MGs are seriously dangerous for WWI planes even if they are just .303 or 7.98mm junk. When I get those sort of missions tasked I load up on bottlerockets and either fire at the baloon and run or lob them in the general direction of the airbase and then...run.

Ground attack missions in those planes are more than slightly on the nervewracking side. :popcornsmilie:

I'm flying with RNAS 8 too Lee, but I skipped to March I think it is of '17 so I started with a Sopwith Triplane, if I wanted to keep flying Neuports on a daily basis I would have continued my Esc Lafayette career and all...Sopwith Tripe: Nice plane!

I still hate attacking airfields and/or balloon bases, just way too many AAA guns and MGs around the places. MGs are seriously dangerous for WWI planes even if they are just .303 or 7.98mm junk. When I get those sort of missions tasked I load up on bottlerockets and either fire at the baloon and run or lob them in the general direction of the airbase and then...run.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think I'll start over in March, too. Like you said, if you wanna fly Nieuports, stick with the Esc Lafayette. (SPADs, though ... hmm.) I got really dumb lucky when I attacked that gasbag last night. Barely scraped away. It's hard to tell, since damage modeling isn't as visual as it is in IL2, but the kite wasn't flying all that well. Good thing there weren't any Huns aloft.

Can't wait until the USAS is included ...

Yep Staggers there is coop, it's like in PF though where there has to be a pre-made mission to go along with it so we'd have to build them before we could fly them. That is unless someone smarter than me can cook up something like Scorched Earth that can generate missions on the fly more or less.

Yep Staggers there is coop, it's like in PF though where there has to be a pre-made mission to go along with it so we'd have to build them before we could fly them. That is unless someone smarter than me can cook up something like Scorched Earth that can generate missions on the fly more or less.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmmm. B)

73 Squadron flew Camels in WW1, pioneering CAS...

The site lists the first thingmie, which I think is the main mod as 613mb, but when all is said and done it comes in at 584. The folder where I stashed all the patches, etc. totaled 731mb.

So what gives? :shrug:

I know that I'll see a dl that a site will list as, say, 25Mb, when in reality it is only 24.5mb. Not much diff and understandable.

But a 30mb diff worries me.

What does Mr. J say about this?

BTW, you ain't paranoid; everyone IS out to get you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the record; the weapons loadout for 73 Squadron's Canberras flying from Akrotiri in Cyprus to Pakistan (if they weren't carrying nukes) was two SNEB pods, which are pretty bloody impressive, but if you fly that far without going to the bog, for sure you want something louder at the end of it!

That'll teach the blighters...

For the record; the weapons loadout for 73 Squadron's Canberras flying from Akrotiri in Cyprus to Pakistan (if they weren't carrying nukes) was two SNEB pods, which are pretty bloody impressive, but if you fly that far without going to the bog, for sure you want something louder at the end of it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somebody got a translator handy??????

Cause I can't figure out why someone would want to blow up a swamp. :unsure:

Oh yes, Camels did indeed fly ground support.

If you haven't already, look for a novel called Winged Victory, by V. M. Yeats. It's all about Camels on the Western Front.

"Flying Camels wasn't for everyone."

Tom Culden is my hero ... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A long way to carry a CAS load, expect brown ice as well; ask the mess for chilli con carne preflight for maximum effect.