Time for a New Gaming Rig

Joker

Okay, so I've been stuffing away the spare pennies for lo these many months. Now I've about saved up enough for a dedicated gaming rig.

Rather than build a rig myself, I'm considering letting one of these "boutique" builders put it together for me, like IBuyPower or Monarch. The objective is to get something that's endlessly upgradable (versus a Dell box, for instance).

My budget is around $1,500. I'd prefer to stick with Intel and NVidia, out of habit. I'll be using a KVM switch to route the new rig through my present keyboard, monitor, and mouse, so I won't be needing those interface components.

• Any suggestions on processors, motherboards, PC vendors, stuff like that?
  • Any technology I might want to wait for, or stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions, guys!

First, Have you looked at the stuff we wrote for Paddles over at the Hardware and Controllers Forum?

Second Go with AMD/NVidia, the Athlon 64's leave the P4's in the dust.

Third, why not build it yourself, it's cheaper and what you don't use paying for labor, you can put into a heckva rig.

I just PMed you...

after shipping on individual parts I found that I would not save as many pennys as I thought... so I let them have the headache and got a system from Monarch

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deacon,

Can you pass along Monarch's web site. Working on Paddles' spec has got me thinking about replacing pit 2's PC.

Thanks

First, Have you looked at the stuff we wrote for Paddles over at the Hardware and Controllers Forum?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doh! Forgot about that forum, will look! :blush:

Second Go with AMD/NVidia, the Athlon 64's leave the P4's in the dust.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, why not? It is a gaming rig, after all. Might was well try something new. Any compatibility problems with certain software or games, though?

Third, why not build it yourself, it's cheaper and what you don't use paying for labor, you can put into a heckva rig.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time, at this point. Critter and Her Maternal Self don't leave me much to spare. No time to go through what Stans did with his last rig, even though I'd probably enjoy the challenge. Plus, the labor charges don't seem all that bad.

Right then, Mane -- AMD it is. Thanks for the recommendation!

AMD! AMD! AMD!

I was going to reccommend you check out Cyber Power, www.cyberpowerpc.com

They do well in tests I've seen and they use AMD! CPUs.

I've had good luck with ASUS mobos (and video cards), but there a lots of good mobo manufacturers out there.

Certainly consider Monarch, as so many of the lads have had good luck with them. I hear good things about Alienware, too. But they seem a bit pricey.

If you want high power, go with a mobo offering dual PCI Express capability, then get a pair of good PCI-E video cards.

Jim

Got myself a brace of PCI-e 6800 Ultras on order; now all I need is MoBo, 64 bit AMD Processor, Memory, Hard drive, Case, Power Supply... :blink:

I've become a fan of ASUS MoBos after a few years of going for the cheapest I could find, But if anyone has any recommendations about Boards, I'm interested in hearing them.

Should have "Rouvres" up by march...

I hope.

I'm getting an estimate from my Techie on a new rig to replace the PC in pit 2. I showed him what we had come up with and his response was........"Pfffft, I can do better than that".

Only problems is he has been swamped with PC that Grandma and Grandpa got for Xmas and has been busy fixing them, removing viruses, and generally been too freakin' busy over the past week or so. He's good, and has connections with some major PC parts wholesellers. My FX5200 vid cards (2, one or each PC) he got last year for $22 each, so it will be worth the wait.

He's promised me a quote by the end of the week, so when I get it, I'll post it.

The computer I'm running now is a Pentium but as soon as I get the scratch for a new one I'm definately going back to AMD as well. My last one was damn near perfect...up until I fiddled with it while forgetting to unplug it. Oh well the fire was small and easilly contained...

:unsure:

Gigabyte motherboards are good im using one now , the GA-K8NE , also PCI express is the way to go for graphics interface , Corsair Ram is top stuff but look for the low latency stuff , and a GIG of ram for the minimum well thats my 2 cents worth '

Good Luck Joker :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lee

Stay away from IBUYPOWER! I bought Angela a PC from them a few years ago and got lucky I didn't have any problems. Their prices are great but I have read horror stories at Resaler Ratings of the way they have treated customers. Here is a link to their reviews. Not all their reviews are bad but the ones that are would scare me enpough to never buy from them.

Customer service is nonexistent with them.

IBUYPOWER

As mentioned above, 1GB RAM. AMD socket 939 processor (Athlon 64, 3500+ is an excellent choice). PCI Express format for the the video card, only way to go these days. Seriously consider a Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS sound card, takes the burden off the CPU and provides you with better sound than the majority of motherboard based sound chips. 120 GB minimum hard drive, minimum of 8 MB cache. You should not have any problems with software and AMD processors.

As mentioned above, 1GB RAM.  AMD socket 939 processor (Athlon 64, 3500+ is an excellent choice).  PCI Express format for the the video card, only way to go these days.  Seriously consider a  Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS sound card, takes the burden off the CPU and provides you with better sound than the majority of motherboard based sound chips.  120 GB minimum hard drive, minimum of 8 MB cache. You should not have any problems with software and AMD processors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got it, Stans. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Lee

Stay away from IBUYPOWER! I bought Angela a PC from them a few years ago and got lucky I didn't have any problems. Their prices are great but I have read  horror stories at Resaler Ratings of the way they have treated customers. Here is a link to their reviews. Not all their reviews are bad but the ones that are would scare me enpough to never buy from them.

Customer service is nonexistent with them.

IBUYPOWER

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the heads-up, Russ -- they're off my list now! :thumbsup: