So, VMF-124'ers, how hardcore are you?

Spectre_USA

Ok, just glancing at the Corsair models I see the -1A has colors that aren't quite right, the blues are too dark. They gave the drop tank a tri-color scheme, never seen a real one painted like that, and both -1A and -1D have the step in the starboard side inboard flap that was first installed on the -4 and retro-fitted to FG-1D's after the war ended. The landing light under the port wing was deleted during the production run of the -1A and definitely shouldn't be on a -1D. The -1A painted in VF-83 Bunker Hill markings should be a -1D, not a -1A. That's just a quick glance, gimme some time and I'll just rip it to shreds.

$12,500? (A fool and his money.... :rolleyes: ) Hey, for $500 I'll build you a 1/32 version that is closer to correct. I think that is a real bargain!!!

Yeah, the following photos are of my pride and joy Corsair. I started it in the Fall of 1994 and completed it in either January or February of 1995.

Corsair1.jpg

Corsair2.jpg

Corsair5.jpg

Corsair3.jpg

Corsair4.jpg

Very nice Stans, very nice. I can see several months of work was put into that baby.

Have you ever seen this site: Historic Aviation

They got Corsair T-Shirt for $17 that has your number on it:

F4U Corsair "White 29" T-shirt

And loads of Corsair models and tons of other Corsair stuff. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Aires (I think) does an upgrade kit, well several, upgrade kits for all scale models. They do a set that has been packaged into one and sells for 80 bucks for the Tamiya F4U-1D in 1/48 that will allow the same detailing to the Corsair. I want to get that for the 1D I have sitting in my closet. Soon, very soon.

I guess I ought to build a Hog too some day. Considering the squadron I am in.

Stans, I have seen you post that once before and it is very nice. :thumbsup:

Beautiful work,Stans! Re. the $12,500 Model,I think you miss the idea behind the expense. For those people that can afford it,it's the opportunity to be able to tell their buddies just HOW MUCH they paid for it and see the look of envy on their faces that is important to them! The excellence of the work is secondary.

Beautiful work,Stans! Re. the $12,500 Model,I think you miss the idea behind the expense. For those people that can afford it,it's the opportunity to be able to tell their buddies just HOW MUCH they paid for it and see the look of envy on their faces that is important to them! The excellence of the work is secondary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that ain't envy.

Closest verbal interpretation would be "Daft Bugger".

No, that ain't envy.

Closest verbal interpretation would be "Daft Bugger".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, like I said, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Thanks for the compliments guys. One day, I'll sit at the workbench and start another kit, I've got a bunch of kits around here, just waiting. I had given serious consideration to building the history of the Virginia Air National Guard. I bought all the required kits in 1/48 scale and started the first one, but now I'm thinking I might want to switch to 1/72. 1/72 kits take up less space, but they are harder to detail. I dunno, I do know that the VANG flew the following aircraft in this order.

F-47D

A-26B

F-84F

F-105D (and two F models)

A-7D

F-16C

Neddie, you can find the parts here. What they have done, is packaged three or four of thier earlier offerings into one complete upgrade. This is the complete upgrade. Eighty bucks but for all you get, well worth it. Is this -1D with the tug or just the -1D?

Stan, my ultimate goal is to eventually build every type of aircraft flown by the Corps from '38 to '55 including all sub-models. I would go further but when you statrt talking about how many different models of just the A-4, then it would get a little much.

Very Cool, thanks Skipper.

It's just the -1D.  I'm thinking of doing it up as Ken Walsh's bird from when he was with  VMF-222 as -124 didn't get -1D's untll after he had left.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although Ken Walsh may have flown a F4U-1D while retraining state side, VMF-222 redeployed in 1945 with F4U-4's. Ken Walsh's side number was once again, "13".

If I had $12,500 burning a hole in my pocket instead of buying one of these I'd build myself an actual Corsair sim cockpit. With working guages!

Either that or get moderately drunk. Who knows, I can be fickle at times. ;)

Let me guess..............

Az is also the site of a bunch of airplane "boneyards" and right now Schatt is planning on making sure any new digs he acquires have space enough for a sim pit.

Am I right?

:rofl::rofl::thumbsup::rofl: