COMBATSIM Forum

Love That Tripehound

Joker

What a good-looking model. Nice-flying aircraft, too.

Might have cured me of balloon-busting last night, as well. Had an airfield attack mission. Loaded the Tripehound up with rockets and headed east.

As I approached the target, I noticed a gasbag off to the left. Well, what the heck, a small adjustment and I could take 'em both. Bank to the left, line up on the balloon, roll in and blast away. Nice explosion, but I took some damage.

After flaming the sausage I extended my dive down to the deck and made my run on the airfield, creating some chaos with my rockets. Soaked up some more lead. Wingman nowhere to be seen. Came around and headed back to the lines, alone.

Just over No Man's Land I was bounced by five Albatri. Immediately I dove for home, but with an ailing engine there as no way I was ever going to outrun a rabid pack of Huns.

C'est le guerre -- another pilot gone west ... :)

Had a similar experience in a Neuiport (sp?) yesterday. Hit the main balloon, and spied another,

not far off to my right. Should not have taken the run, as a single flak burst racked up a list

of damaged parts, and my engine must've been one of `em. Just barely made it to friendly

terrirtory before it quit.

13 days in the hospital, and no chance to mix it up with the Alb's that showed up... <_<

Had a similar experience in a Neuiport (sp?) yesterday.  Hit the main balloon, and spied another,

not far off to my right.  Should not have taken the run, as a single flak burst racked up a list

of damaged parts, and my engine must've been one of `em.  Just barely made it to friendly

terrirtory before it quit.

13 days in the hospital, and no chance to mix it up with the Alb's that showed up...   <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one, Speccers -- at least you survived! :thumbsup:

One thing I like about OFF is that there are so very many ways to die, just like in RB3D. The game just does not tolerate mistakes.

The nature of WWI -- a static front -- seems to aid immersion, as well. You've got a clearly defined and relatively contained "sandbox," if you will, unlike WWII, where the air campaigns ranged over such a wide area and the front was often fluid. In WWI, the action is all along that narrow strip of mud known as No Man's Land.

Men who served in WWI often described the front as being something akin to another planet. And that's what it was -- for nearly four years, the front was almost a separate world. So I guess I've always imagined WWI as a place, as much as a conflict.

It's sort of like being on a stage. For some reason, that idea helps me visualize the environment. Hard to put into words, I guess, but it works for me.