COMBATSIM Forum

Help!!!

Whizkid

I'm going bonkers trying to install OFF! I uninstalled my CFS3,along with all the loverly Mods I'd put in at great expense,then re-installed it and upgraded it to 3.1a,ran a mission and was shot down,then d/l'd OFF 3.0 and all the upgrades into a folder that I put in Microsoft Games/CFS3 called CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields as the docs call for. Then when I click on the Installer it tells me "This file contains invalid data". Re-d/l'd the OFF Download twice. Same old same old. What am I doing wrong? HELP!!! :(

I'm going bonkers trying to install OFF! I uninstalled my CFS3,along with all the loverly Mods I'd put in at great expense,then re-installed it and upgraded it to 3.1a,ran a mission and was shot down,then d/l'd OFF 3.0 and all the upgrades into a folder that I put in Microsoft Games/CFS3 called CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields as the docs call for. Then when I click on the Installer it tells me "This file contains invalid data". Re-d/l'd the OFF Download twice. Same old same old. What am I doing wrong? HELP!!!    :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could help ya, whizkid. I haven't got my copy of CFS3 yet. I'm all set have everything I need to install it, patch it, play it, and install OFF....just don't have the game yet. Should come, hopefully later today.

I'm following your plight with interest because of that.

Tell me, did you use the dl's from their DL site or did you go to the mirror site for the split download option for low bandwidth users?

And have you tried contacting the OFF folks?

I used the main D/L site as I have Cable Internet. I put all the Zip Files in a folder as they suggested,and put the folder in the MS Games folder. Maybe it should go in the CFS3 Folder? Of course I can't install the Upgrades until I can install the Main Files,and I can't do that until the Installer works! GRRRRRRR!

Okay,guys,panic over. I went back to the Zip file and re-inflated (love that word!) it to my Unzipped folder on my Desktop,instead of inflating it to the OFF Folder in MS Games. Voila,the Installer appeared along with a dll file.This time when I clicked on the Installer everything worked. Looks like you have to make sure there's no connection between the Installer and anything to do with OFF,until you have all the files installed. So I think you'll be OK,Mane,with the D/L.

Glad you got it all sorted, Whizzers!

Let me know how you're doing on framerates. I've got all the sliders at 2, except for Aircraft and Effects at 3, and Clouds at 1. Running at 1280 x 1024, with 2xAA and no ansiostropic filtering. Sim looks outstanding and I'm averaging 25-35 FPS -- above 10,000 ft., I get 50 FPS, sometimes, and close to the deck I occasionally dip into the teens . No stutters to speak of, things are very smooth.

This is one great add-on! I'll be happy to pay for Phase 2 and 3, based on what I've seen here.

:thumbsup:

Well,it's working but very stuttery. How do you see FPS,BTW? I'm right now de-fragging to help things,and I've had to uninstall MS2004 to do it as I ran out of HD space. I only have 40GB,and so I was down to 1% free space which the Defragger doesn't like! Oh,well,I was bored flying 727's anyway. We'll see if things improve after the DF. Everything in the Options is at minimum so I should be fine after this.

A pretty basic rig,with a 40 Gb HD,AMD Athlon XP2200-1.4gb MoBo,GEForce FX 5900-128mb card,Nvidia NForce 2.400 Chipset, and 550W Power supply. I just defragged three times and I think that may make a difference. I'll report in when I've played again.

A pretty basic rig,with a 40 Gb HD,AMD Athlon XP2200-1.4gb MoBo,GEForce FX 5900-128mb card,Nvidia NForce 2.400 Chipset, and 550W Power supply. I just defragged three times and I think that may make a difference. I'll report in when I've played again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not too good.Still very jerky and stuttery. Especially when low altitude and with other planes around. What do I need to upgrade the most,do you think? I have a 1gig Memory so that should be OK. Maybe the MoBo?

Whiz:

Go to this site: Belarc Advisor

Download. install and run this freebie.

Then post the results over at the "Hardware and Contollers" forum. Once we have that we can all jump in a tell ya what ya need, even if you don't want to hear it... :rofl:

This is a legit program............. :trustme:

Not too good.Still very jerky and stuttery. Especially when low altitude and with other planes around. What do I need to upgrade the most,do you think? I have a 1gig Memory so that should be OK. Maybe the MoBo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are your OFF graphics settings, Whizzers? Try turning 'em down in OFF Config. Be aware, OFF is pretty graphics intensive, with all the graphic options cranked up. I tried setting all the sliders to 4 and it completely locked up my PC.

Also, check your settings for the NVidia card -- v-sync, AA, AF, stuff like that. The OFF manual has some good basic advice. You did run Config before you fired up OFF for the first time, correct?

You should be okay with 1 gig of RAM -- I'm at 1.3 gigs, which shouldn't make that much of a difference. The 5900 graphics card should be able to handle the load. Not sure how powerful an Athlon XP2200 is. What is that equivalent in Intel processors? I wouldn't try running OFF with anything under the equivalent of a P4 2.0 GHz processor.

That said, if you can run MSFS2004, I would think you'd be okay for OFF. So I'm still leaning toward the OFF graphics settings as the culprit ...

That is one beautiful program,Mane. I would urge you to tell the others on CSim about it,as it really showed up what I was missing for Updates.

I'll post the results as suggested over there and see what pops up. Thank you so much for the help. :thumbsup: