COMBATSIM Forum

The Lord is my Shepherd...

I was wondering that myself. Is that how small laser designators are now? No sniper would use a laser sight so it can't be that. Might be a flashlight, it looks like it has a remote switch though I never saw one like that before. Last guess is an infra red illuminator for night vision.

I doubt he is SOCOM and a laser designator for a rifle that size is very odd. If he is SOCOM he is an idiot. SOCOM would not wear a helmet either. I also think SOCOM would not enjoy the tactcial help the lense cover would bring. I have no clue what it is other than maybe something for a night scope, battery maybe.

Also for a sniper his non-shoting hand is in one screwed up place. I lay mine back over my upper arm for added support, but he is Amry and most likely noone eber told him any better. His stance sucks too, he has no cheeck contact with the stock either.

I think he is some leg who got stuffed with a weapon he has no clue how to use.

While interviewing an anonymous Marine scout sniper on his sniper

skills a Reuters News agent asked him what he felt when shooting

members of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. The Marine shrugged and replied,

"Recoil."

God Bless America and the United States Marine Corps

Once One of the Few...Still One of the Proud

That scope is mounted way too high, I used to have an M1A and they were not ergonomic with a scope, you have to modify the stock with a serious cheekrest. Now what he could do with that picatinny rail the length of the forestock is put a long eye releif or ACOG on there, that would be the trick setup and you can still use the iron sights as backup. If you put the flip up covers on a rifle I like them to open to the left side and down so I can see over the scope. M-1a or M-14 is a great rifle, glad to see them in service.

I was just thinking, maybe that thing is a camera?

I notice he has a big old cheek rest added on there. That scope could be lower with some different mounts and if he took the front sight off he might as well have done the same to the aperture too so he could get the scope even lower.

If it is a camera I was thinking two things. One, he might have a monocular or screen so he can peek around corners, or it is for his commander, similar to what the helmet cams would do, just on the gun instead.

Here once more an idiot if he uses that long thing to peek around corners.

Correct he should have stripped it al the way, mounted it lower and used the weapon in the correct way. I figure he is some admin who is faking some anti-sniper duty.

Look for his videos of shooting buildings and missing people.

I doubt he is SOCOM and a laser designator for a rifle that size is very odd. If he is SOCOM he is an idiot. SOCOM would not wear a helmet either. I also think SOCOM would not enjoy the tactcial help the lense cover would bring. I have no clue what it is other than maybe something for a night scope, battery maybe.

Also for a sniper his non-shoting hand is in one screwed up place. I lay mine back over my upper arm for added support, but he is Amry and most likely noone eber told him any better. His stance sucks too, he has no cheeck contact with the stock either.

I think he is some leg who got stuffed with a weapon he has no clue how to use.

While interviewing an anonymous Marine scout sniper on his sniper

skills a Reuters News agent asked him what he felt when shooting

members of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. The Marine shrugged and replied,

"Recoil."

God Bless America and the United States Marine Corps

Once One of the Few...Still One of the Proud

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeez Mr. Holmes, When I said you may know better, I didn't expect a full post-mortem. But now you mention it, it's all there, if you look close. I still believe it's a laser though; Correct me if I'm wrong, but would either a camera or a torch need mountings that elaborate?

Having said that, and taking thoughts to their logical conclusion, Could it be that what we are seeing is as you say a REMF, but with his own M1 tricked out with all the finest items money can buy? ie, he's got 'em, but only because he can afford 'em, not for any rational military use?

BTW Baltar, your analysis is almost as scary as Shep's. What exactly is it you do in the UK?

:ph43r:

Elemetry my Dear Stag...........

I an see where a REMF would do such a stupid thing.

Now as a shooter I have to go deeper into this.

Yes, I can hear someone saying I would put a laser on there for close infighting.

However that is not what the Good Book says a long gun is used for. At the point you need a laser you pull out your Sig and go to town with the best handgun in the entire world. Not your rifle looking like a poor Gomer Pyle or Hollywood make up of a sniper.

And while I am at it, the stock pad is a poor idea as well. If he gets it wet the stupid thing would move anyway so why even have it?

I also have to find issue with his point of rest as well. He has the weapon resting on the forwad sling swivle, which to thenaked eye is not so bad. But, you have to take into account that if you want percision shooting that will not offer the desired effect either.

Oh and one more thing...

The red release button on the left hand side of the scope is also a sniper no-no. No ahooter worth having a long gun will have a red release button in the field. Yes, it is the little things that make you go home in a metal box and I am not talking about a Boeing either.

BTW, my rifle does have those on my rear lense cover, but I am not trying to snoop and poop with it either.

Ok two more things.

Whatever it is, it is part of the over all mount, so it prolly is not some kids toy. I would have to stay near something for a NVG or thermal scope.

I also take exception to his use of a nylon sling as well. They stretch to much and any good shoter would go with leather which is the custom.

Does anyone else think we have disected this other wise funny photo eough?

Point taken about the hand gun. So engagement range for a laser-mounted longarm would be similar?

P.S. Experimented with lasers back in my paintballing days; lost track of the bloody dot after about 10 feet; mind you, that was about 16 years ago with items available to civvies.

Back in my day if they were in pistol range they got the pistol and someone else got their butt whipped for letting them get that close to me. I prefered to do buisness around the 500 yard line at the closest. I guess I was got a bit unnerved when they got too close. I wasn't about all that hand to hand non-sense.

Lasers should only be used for CQB and that rifle would not be used for CQB, unless it was in support of CQB, but then the caliber is too small to penetrate many fixed objects to give said support.

Now a .50 is a good CQB support weapon.

Lasers are good because they are VERY easy to use in the correct environment, like CQB and they don' require you to align your eye with the weapon. But a laser is not a very good sight for the woods for three reasons, they give you away by projecting light to the target and two, they don't work well unless you have a close backdrop like a wall indoors. As you saw from the woods situation, if there is no wall to find the dot with you can only tell where it is pointing when it is on a tree etc. Third bad thing is that it is electronic and a liability but he has optics as a primary sight anyway. There are much smaller lasers than that big old thing these days though.

Better than the lasers are refelctor sights like WWII fighters used. You get a good field of view and no projected light to the target and no need for a backdrop. ACOGs and Holosights are like that. They are nice. Holosites use batteries though which again is an issue.

They say if a man is within 21yards they can close with you before you can draw and fire a pistol. Most civilian gunfights with handguns however occur within 7 feet because people don't abide by that.

I don't do anything to do with guns over here, this is from my previous hobby. I'll be getting back into it though. :)

I think Smith and Wesson makes the best handguns barring custom jobs... :)

And dang Shepherd you picked on his red button but not his big frickin smilie face! :lol:

No, I said SOCOM would not like the tactical disadvantage it gives them. I think that was in my first post.

S&W better than a Sig? Come on now you have to know better than that.

The SAS did a test and the Sig out performed them all.

I personally fixed a broken extractor on a sig once so even they break. I think the slide is way too high on them and I don't really like double action autos. They are well made and very nicely machined though, very nice guns and a decent feel to them. I have seen broken parts on S&W too to be fair but reliability is not all that makes a good gun to me. If that was the case I'd probably go with Glock but I hate those things. To me it is fit and finish, ergonomics, sights and so on. I like 1911s and Smith seems to have the best lightwieght 1911 model out there now. I never would have put them on top of the heap before they came out with that model though. I didn't like their previous autos but their revolvers are great of course. I also like the company, they have world class customer service under the once again US ownership.

I can see the SAS choosing the Sig but I put more credence Former Marine Colonel Jeff Cooper who has done a lot of thinking on the subject and ran a combat school, and he likes the 1911 design, though tweaked up a bit.

The Army picked the Baretta 92 over the old 1911 for some reason. I don't like the 92. Way too big for a 9mm, so I don't trust agencies' tastes always. :D

I'm buying that S&W 1911 as soon as I get unpacked. :thumbsup:

It is all down to personal opinion, everyone has different needs and hand sizes and stuff. Just go with what you like, but if you say "best in the world" someone else might chime in with what they think is "best" too :lol:

I should say reliability is VERY important, but I mean resistance to abuse is not all that makes a good gun to me. It is important to make things soldier proof but I if you are not crawling in the mud or sand and you don't need that level of ruggedness I would rather have a nicer shooting gun. They have to function reliably of course or they are no use at all.

Back to Sig, they shoot accurately but I think they could improve the ergonomics. That is personal preference though. And the double action thing. I don't see why you would make an auto a double action but they do, and they are more popular. It is still weird to me though. :)

To me double action makes it better because once you have staged the trigger you can make your final aim and them go for it. That once more is what I like others like other things.

I like the Sig, but I am 6'6" and have big hands so they feel right to me. My wives S&W feels small in my hands. I have also lost a finger nail thanks to it as well.

I prefer the Sig over any other because it is rugged and is dead on in a shooting match. But, once more we all like something differant.