Say what you want about the little Whelp....

Gunny

His Uncle Prince Andrew was a helo pilot yep. From the Wikpedia:

Falklands War (1982)

In April 2, 1982, the British colony of the Falkland Islands was invaded by Argentina, an event that led to the Falklands War. Prince Andrew's ship, HMS Invincible was one of only two operational aircraft carriers available to the Royal Navy, and as such was to play a major role in the Royal Navy taskforce being assembled to sail south to retake the islands.

At first the British government were apprehensive of allowing Prince Andrew to remain on Invincible, and wished to move him to a desk job. The prospect of the son of the Queen being killed in action was a possibility, and the government wished to avoid such a circumstance. However, the Queen insisted that Prince Andrew be allowed to remain with his ship, and so he joined the Invincible as it sailed south, as a Sea King helicopter co-pilot.

Throughout the conflict Prince Andrew flew on various missions, including Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Anti-Surface Warfare search (ASUW), as well as acting as an Exocet missile decoy; a hitherto secret tactic which the Prince inadvertently revealed to journalists after the war. He also helped in casualty evacuation, transport and Search and Air Rescue (SAR). When the conflict ended, and Invincible returned to Portsmouth, the Queen and Prince Philip joined other families of the other crew to welcome the vessel home.

The Prince remained with HMS Invincible, with brief assignments to the carrier HMS Illustrious, Culdrose, and the Joint Services School of Intelligence, Ashford, Kent, until 1983.

---

So he played missile decoy, crazy. He also only retired from the Royal Navy in 2001 and as a full Captain. Not too shabby.

From what I've seen from Harry he's a lot like his uncle so I'm imagining if his unit winds up on an Iraq rotation he'll go, no matter what anyone thinks about it. :thumbsup:

There's a precedent; Prince Andrew Flew Helos off HMS Invincible during the Falklands war. Further back, Our Queen drove ambulances in London during the Battle of Britain. The late Queen Mother lost a brother, Fergus at the Battle of Loos, 1915.

So what will Harry do? Time will tell.

BTW Maine, consider; you're flying a helecopter where your only air cover is 16 knife-fighters vs. a small country full, in an environment where air superiority CANNOT be guaranteed. Normally you would hunt subs, or on a really bad day light up an emitter to spoof highly explosive sea-skimming missiles. now you're hauling crap, and hoping you don't get a Matra up your arse.

You tell me mate; were you there?

His Uncle Prince Andrew was a helo pilot yep. From the Wikpedia:

Falklands War (1982)

In April 2, 1982, the British colony of the Falkland Islands was invaded by Argentina, an event that led to the Falklands War. Prince Andrew's ship, HMS Invincible was one of only two operational aircraft carriers available to the Royal Navy, and as such was to play a major role in the Royal Navy taskforce being assembled to sail south to retake the islands.

At first the British government were apprehensive of allowing Prince Andrew to remain on Invincible, and wished to move him to a desk job. The prospect of the son of the Queen being killed in action was a possibility, and the government wished to avoid such a circumstance. However, the Queen insisted that Prince Andrew be allowed to remain with his ship, and so he joined the Invincible as it sailed south, as a Sea King helicopter co-pilot.

Throughout the conflict Prince Andrew flew on various missions, including Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Anti-Surface Warfare search (ASUW), as well as acting as an Exocet missile decoy; a hitherto secret tactic which the Prince inadvertently revealed to journalists after the war. He also helped in casualty evacuation, transport and Search and Air Rescue (SAR). When the conflict ended, and Invincible returned to Portsmouth, the Queen and Prince Philip joined other families of the other crew to welcome the vessel home.

The Prince remained with HMS Invincible, with brief assignments to the carrier HMS Illustrious, Culdrose, and the Joint Services School of Intelligence, Ashford, Kent, until 1983.

---

So he played missile decoy, crazy. He also only retired from the Royal Navy in 2001 and as a full Captain. Not too shabby.

From what I've seen from Harry he's a lot like his uncle so I'm imagining if his unit winds up on an Iraq rotation he'll go, no matter what anyone thinks about it.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've been doing research! :D

I knew about Andrew already Stag, in my opinion he was the best of that generation's princes. ;)

But I wanted to get the facts straight so I looked all the info up. Another thing to consider is that yeah, like you said the Royal Family haven't all been "stay at home" sorts, even recently. Even Prince Charles was in both the RAF and the RN. He never served in combat but he was trained to fly both helicopters and fighters.

Andrew and Charles' father Prince Phillip served in combat in the Royal Navy during WWII before he even met the current Queen and became a Prince. And from what I read about him he was a hard charging son of a bitch back then too. :thumbsup:

Send them off? We don't have a draft.

If any of the kids of lawmakers want to go fight that's their choice. There isn't a real strong tradition of that here the way there is in the UK though, that's what we get for having "former job: lawyer" as a plus when running for office...

I understand what you mean Boats but everytime someone says something like that I get annoyed, even if you mean it in a less hostile way than most of the people who say stuff like that intend it.

When was the last time we had a president that had son young enough to serve? And I tend to judge it by the president since most of the senate and reps are a bunch of asshats anyway.

Teddy Roosevelt's son's, Theodore Jr., Quentin and Archibald served in the Army. Quentin was KIA in France during WWI. Teddy Jr. fought through most of WWII before dieing of a heart attack nearly a month after he led troops ashore at Utah beach.

All four of FDRs sons served in the military during WWII and decorated for bravery. James, of course, serving as second in command of the 2nd Marine Raider Blt. Elliot was a P-38 pilot in Africa. FDR Jr. and John were a naval officers.

John William Carter - Served aboard a Navy salvage ship during Vietnam.

Frederick Dent Grant - US Army

John Eisenhower - US Army WWII and Korea (More of a military family than "The Son of a President serving, but dad would be pres some day.)

Webb Hayes - He was a member of the First Cleveland Troop, later known as Troop A of the Ohio National Guard. During the Spanish American War, he became a major in the First Ohio Cavalry. He fought in the battles at Havana, Santiago de Cuba, and the invasion of Puerto Rico. He was wounded aduring the crossing of the San Juan River, and then participated in the assault on San Juan Hill.

Richard Taylor - General, CSA

David Gardiner Tyler - CSA

So, ok, Carter's son served and we know about W's Air Guard stuff. So there's that in a nutshell.

There's a precedent; Prince Andrew Flew Helos off HMS Invincible during the Falklands war. Further back, Our Queen drove ambulances in London during the Battle of Britain. The late Queen Mother lost a brother, Fergus at the Battle of Loos, 1915.

So what will Harry do? Time will tell.

BTW Maine, consider; you're flying a helecopter where your only air cover is 16 knife-fighters vs. a small country full, in an environment where air superiority CANNOT be guaranteed. Normally you would hunt subs, or on a really bad day light up an emitter to spoof highly explosive sea-skimming missiles. now you're hauling crap, and hoping you don't get a Matra up your arse.

You tell me mate; were you there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stag....

I was not aware of the spoofing missions. I do apologize to Prince Andrew.

I was aware of the Queen's role in the Blitz. However, I was under the impression, as a member of a former rebellious colony, that the current generation of the Royal Family were, to put it bluntly, a bunch of in-bred twits.

I stand corrected.

Stag....

I was not aware of the spoofing missions.  I do apologize to Prince Andrew.

I was aware of the Queen's role in the Blitz.  However, I was under the impression, as a member of a former rebellious colony, that the current generation of the Royal Family were, to put it bluntly, a bunch of in-bred twits.

I stand corrected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said, Time will tell. After all Edward decided he would go join the Royal Marines in his time. He finished training, apparently getting through it.

And then got out quicker than you can say "Actually, I really want to be in the theatre."

I've mentioned the teeshirts before, so I won't go into it again.

But yeah, I think Andrew was there, though from reoports, he didn't like it much.

Stag said what needed to be said. The Royals don't hide behind anything when it comes to defending the nation. In WWII the King and Queen stayed in London through the blitz. And take note of when the Queen goes on tour ,she does not ride around in bullet shielded quasi - tank, but generally in an open carriage. No lack of guts there.

Gotta respect William and Harry for standing up. :thumbsup:

Heard about Randy Andy in the Falklands. Full marks.

I thought the Royal Family had a naval tradition, though. Is this something new, the princes joining the Army?