COMBATSIM Forum

First impressions of IL2 version 4.03 patch

And if you got a P-4 comp, you d@mn well better heed the advice in the readme about renaming one

dll file (name is too long for me to remember) as another one and deleting the original. I didnt......

cause i thought it was too "confusing" ......my PF/FB wouldnt start at all, just did nothing, or lockup. I even asked about it on the ubizoo GD forum (those initials are strangely appropriate for some reason), and one

other confused gent steered me correctly.

As he correctly pointed out though, why couldnt they include a new dll file in the patch? This only applies

to p-4 machines though.

Man is that 335 a bit squirrely or what? Neat plane. And I havent flown mossies yet, but the AI versions are pretty tough opponents. Especially when yer flyin an MC200 (fun plane). The gun nose mossie acts like a fighter while the glass nose one seems to act like a bomber....cool.

THis sim REALLY needs some Merlin and hispano sounds....really bad. We could add em in CFS2, and

theres something about hearing that from a spit or 51 thats just really cool. I wish Oleg was a bit more

open to user input...just a bit. stangs and spits just dont sound like in this sim.

As far as adons, Ive been messing some whit Strike fighters and wings over vietnam.....which you can mix, but not

combine. If you love jets, this is the best thing since Janes fighters anthology, and its got tons of

user made adons (wanna fly the iran iraq war or yom kippur, or korea) in a fairly organized

community. I know oleg cant do that, but just a little more would help....like wiht sounds and maps.

Sound in IL2 is hard coded in the game, MS took a different and better route by having a sound folder for individual aircraft. Oleg refuses to use actual recordings, but uses a sound generator that makes generic sounds.

Enforcer I have a P4, I patched and it still runs fine but the old wobble problem is still there. I might try your fix to see if it helps.

Sound in IL2 is hard coded in the game, MS took a different and better route by having a sound folder for individual aircraft. Oleg refuses to use actual recordings, but uses a sound generator that makes generic sounds.

Back in the EAW days, Stanley99 and I worked together on a compilation of sounds. You could do so much with EAW. :)

Yeah, seems to me EAW had a limitation of only two sound sets for engines, one for radials and one for inlines. So FW-190's all of a sudden sounded like P-47's, but if you were a P-47 jock it was really nice. At least you did have some sound options. I remember MeatWater's sound pack, great gun sounds and improved engine sounds, really loved it!

Pretty much ANY sim other than Olegs lets you customise sounds. Warbirds, CFS, EAW...

It is really odd too that it isn't user configurable, I mean it has no bearing on compatibility or cheating, just like skins don't. The skin system is great, too bad about the sounds.

As far as adons, Ive been messing some whit Strike fighters and wings over vietnam.....which you can mix, but not

combine. If you love jets, this is the best thing since Janes fighters anthology, and its got tons of

user made adons (wanna fly the iran iraq war or yom kippur, or korea) in a fairly organized

community. I know oleg cant do that, but just a little more would help....like wiht sounds and maps.

Agreed. Thinking back to when I was beta-testing SF:P1 for months, if you had told me the incredible amount of add-on

airframes, terrains, campaigns, weapons packs, et. al. that would be out now, I would have called bull-sh!t.

It is absoulutely amazing the quantity, and quality of stuff available at CombatAce, and Column5's alone. There are others,

but these 2 have incredible selections.

Have you seen Operation Tainted Cigar, a 60's based Cuban missile crisis gone hot scenerio? Or how about MK2's Vietnam `84?

All aircraft included, From Falcons and Eagles to Aardvarks and Tomcats. I helped on that one... :D