Non Combat Related Day Out in the Sticks

Badger

Hi All

This weekend we quit the grey stone confines of Badger Towers for a spin out in the countryside.

One of the upsides to living now in a semi rural community in North Lincs is that you don’t have to go far in any direction before finding yourself enveloped in lush green surrounds of fields and forests, breathing in the heady scents of the foliage, holding your breath for the less hospitable emissions of the animals and swerving to avoid the scattered corpses of various woodland creatures too stupid to stay out of the road the night before.

Setting out with no real plan we drove toward Cleethorpes, for no other reason than having a vague target in mind and before long we were swapping the panoramic sweeping vistas of the green hills and forests for the windswept grey beaches of the North Lincolnshire coast.

Wrapped in layers of thermal undies, coats and scarves, we set out on a walk along the sand and watched seagulls attacking children for their sandwiches and dogs being blown out to sea. Then we sat on a bench, applied balm to our wind chapped lips and quaffed hot beverages and freshly cooked donuts until our bags and our flasks were empty but our stomachs were full.

Finally all were agreed that the frivolity had to end sometime and we piled back into the car for the journey home.

Enroute back I saw a sign for “The Lincs GameFair”!

YAAAY! A gamefair! Bastion of games related treats and bargains. Favored haunt of the skint and the thrifty. I hadn’t been to one of these in years! This day was looking up.

Sure it was twenty miles out of our way and certainly an extra hour on the journey home, but what the hell. It’d really been an age since I’d been to one and I’d certainly never seen such a thing around these parts. Some of you will know that my games machine has just been repaired after being out of commission for a few months and it seemed to me that this was a sign that screamed Welcome back to the fold Badger, buy a game why don’t you.

As we drew closer to the “Lincolnshire Show Ground”, venue for this tasty electronic treat, the bright yellow “GameFair” signs became more frequent. It seemed to me that the fonts became larger and more urgent and they started saying things like “All Gamefair Traffic please use Gate Six” …. We were getting close and my wallet hand began to itch.

Finally we pulled in through the gate and started up the long gravel drive toward an area where cars seemed to be parked on the grass. I have to say that I was surprised by the absence of the lights and banners which usually accompany this kind of event and we were hard pressed to see which way we were supposed to walk after we had parked the car.

Following a likely looking bunch we soon found ourselves heading toward the motley looking collection of stalls and burger vans which seemed to form the epicenter of the event and my concern started to rise as we got close enough to read some of the stall signs and failed to see any tell tale signs of computer fun and frolics. In fact I distinctly saw a pen with animals in it!

Finally the truth could no longer be denied. There were no bargain pc games here, there were only cold looking people in wax coats looking at livestock and birds! GAME Birds!!! This was no Games show.. It was a GAME Birds Show!!!!!!

OMG I’m such a townie!

On the plus side we never actually went up to anyone and asked “Excuse me, where are the games?” Plus we didn’t have to pay to park. So it seems to me that no harm is done as long as I never tell anyone about it and…………. Oh bugger!

Badger

Badger we have markets like that here , they start early in the morning(06.00) and go till about 10.00am great food , and bargins for everyone , last one i went to didn't get any good bargins but the home made apple pie was top notch

Cattle rustling will get you shot in AZ so this place is on the up and up. I haven't been there yet but my boss went a while back and said it was a hoot, especially watching kids crying when they asked why there were cows out there...yeah he's a sick bastage. :popcornsmilie:

One thing that place does though is answer the eternal question that's always asked when food is late,"What did they have to go kill it or something?" Why yes Timmy, indeed they did.

:rofl::rofl:

Okay so I'm a sick bastage too...sue me. :P

Cattle rustling will get you shot in AZ so this place is on the up and up. I haven't been there yet but my boss went a while back and said it was a hoot, especially watching kids crying when they asked why there were cows out there...yeah he's a sick bastage. :popcornsmilie:

One thing that place does though is answer the eternal question that's always asked when food is late,"What did they have to go kill it or something?" Why yes Timmy, indeed they did.

:rofl::rofl:

Okay so I'm a sick bastage too...sue me. :P

:rofl::rofl::rofl: