Playing Older Combat Flight Sims on XP Pro?

mrsimperless

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone has experience playing some older combat flight sims on XP Pro. I'm living in Bangkok for about a year and all I have access to is a pretty high-end laptop pc that runs xp pro. I have no way of running windows 98. I went out yesterday and bought a new USB 3D joystick so I could play on the laptop.

However, I can't seem to get the games to install. I tried both WWII fighters and Fighter Squadron. Both of them say "launching installshield" and it loads up to 100%. However, the installer never launches after that. The pc just kind of sits in limbo accessing the cd for about 5 seconds every 15-30 seconds or so.

Can anyone help me out? I would love to play these games again, but as of right now I'm completely stuck. Here are some games I'd like to play:

Jane's WWII Fighters

Fighter Squadron

Falcon 4.0

Jane's USAF

Jane's IAF

Jane's F-15

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Donster,

Excellent resource that page :thumbsup:

There is a program called DOSBox as well that some folks use to run older DOS games on WinXP, but that article you pointed to may make it unnecessary.

MrSimperless (or is that MrsImperless), :unsure:

If you can't get your game to run using the info on the page Donster gave you, you might try the DOSBox page.

Oh, and welcome to our forums :thumbsup:

Yep, DOSbox is the ticket. Me and Paddles got F-15 Strike Eagle III to run on our XP machines using that. Now, why anyone would WANT to run F-15 Strike Eagle III is a little mysterious, but we did it anyway.

:rofl:

Sad, but true story. I'd been pining over the good ol' days of playing thousands upon thousands of hours of F-15 SEIII, so I reinstalled it using DOSBox. As Neddie eludes in his post, I should've left alone those fond remembrances stored in the attic of my mind. Revisiting that game after playing sims like Pac Fighters is like going back to visit your highschool prom date 20 years after you've been married to a super model.

But, if you eschew cutting-edge graphics and are hardcore about gameplay, most of those old DOS games are worth a re-look.

:)

This Forum is incredible! The depth of knowledge and expertise never ceases to amaze me! (Except for DH,of course!) No wonder I don't waste time on the other juvenile Forums. Keep it up,guys! ( Does this get me an extra Babe,Donnie?) :popcornsmilie::huh:

Holy Cow!

Did a quick Google for that DosBox dealio, what a "sierra hotel" looking thingmie that little proggie looks to be!

Had never even heard of it before. Tons of old games in there. Sure they'll look like a 20 year past her prime wench,

but some of `em still have fire under the old hood...

:thumbsup: