F22 TAW and Windows 2000

percy

Hi from Percy - am a new subsciber to the forum.

Have recently built a new PC running W2K

My copy of TAW F22 ran fine (although rather slowly) on my old P3 machine - but it did work.

I now have a P4 with a 3ghz processor, 1gb RAM, 128mb NVidia AGP Card with Windows 2000 OS.

The game has installed ok, but as soon as I launch the program nothing happens, although the f22.dat file seems to be running when viewing the task manager. The PC does not lock up.

I wonder if anyone has had experience with this or is an upgrade to WinXP required.

I build a machine a few weeks ago with XP and just for an experiment installed TAW on it and it worked fine, although it did have an older graphics adapter in it (AGPx4).

On the install I remeber selecting "Direct 3D" for the graphics environment (and not Glide).

Any advice most welcome

reagrds

Percy

TAW since 1998 - still enjoy it!!

Percy,

Welcome to our forums :)

Try re-installing the game WITHOUT music. If that doesn't work, I have some other suggestions, but that's the first thing to try.

:)

Hi Paddles - tnx for the reply and advice, will give it a try.

Just for info will check where the W2K environment variables point too; in particular the "TMP" and TEMP" paths.

I was thinking last night that I remembered machines at my work place which we had to reconfigure the path to which the variable were pointing too, as some installs did not work.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Best regards

Percy

Hi Paddles - tnx for the reply and advice, will give it a try.

Just for info will check where the W2K environment variables point too; in particular the "TMP" and TEMP" paths.

I was thinking last night that I remembered machines at my work place which we had to reconfigure the path to which the variable were pointing too, as some installs did not work.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Best regards

Percy

Update > A Result, both actions worked (but it did need both).

1) Updated environment variables Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables

User Variables changed TMP and TEMP to read C:\temp (obviously make sure folder c:\temp exists)

System Variables changed TMP and TEMP to read C:\temp

2) Re-install F22 TAW. (Make sure you are logged in with administrator privileges).

Uncheck "MUSIC" when asked if you want to install.

All went in OK and now works fine. Will now install all the patches etc

Thanx to Paddles for the info

Regards

Percy

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, good memories on you both!

How does the old F-22 stand up to time? Is it looking at least OK now?

I remember it being a really nice sim, back in the day, and experimenting with the Paradox method. I kmay try a re-install

when I get my new rig later in the week. I should have a little room for this...